I was pro LE but

I do agree with you . All our discusson with Macknum was about his words : ‘in D4 everything was understandable instantly and on the simple side of geame mechanics’ to which I couldn’t agree so I had to give some examples I didn’t like while playing D4. That doesn’t mean D4 is a bad game I liked many other things in it but the UI is far from being perfect there

1 Like

Truuuuuue haha

1 Like

Really?
With Diablo 4 in a few weeks, Baldur’s Gate 3 in August, and Starfield in September, 2023 feels absolutely huge for PC RPGs.
Granted, they are not ARPGs, and we all have different tastes.
Still, I think I am fully booked until the end of the year, and probably most of 2024. Days having only 24 hours each is a curse. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah I’m an old school guy. I prefer older looking / feeling games. D2, Titan Quest, etc. It seems weird but all of this new stuff appeals to me almost not at all. Boss content, dungeon content, general exploration, build creativity, controls. Those are the primary things I care about.

However, weirdly enough, the sprites and pixel work from the older games appeal to me more also. Somehow it just looks like more care was put into those games, and they look better for it. Something about pixel art just has a simplicity and an ease on the eyes that modern 3D vomit games lack. A lot of these newer games have weird cell shading and wonky ambient lighting that even when it’s mimicking reality still doesn’t look like something I wanna look at for hours and hours. A lot of them have a strange plastic world kind of aesthetic I’m not into. Even though graphics have improved greatly over the last 20 years, there’s a mindfulness about how to make them look interesting we haven’t fully developed. D4 also kind of falls short in these respects, from some of the gameplay I’ve seen of it.

Now there was that tiny window there for awhile where they were starting to though, I should say. I like how Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 look a lot. They stuck with the color palettes and general design principles that worked from earlier games. Somehow they still kind of knew who their audience was and what they liked back then. It’s too bad those games didn’t become the template for how to make modern top-down or isometric games look interesting.

The one standout I can think of since then would be Hades. That game is beautiful to look at. And the controls are tight and fun. There’s very little about that game I don’t adore, but I’ve gushed about that here before, lol. If you haven’t checked that out, definitely worth your time.

It’s far afield from top down games, but if you haven’t seen Vanillaware’s games, especially Odin Sphere, those are also agonizingly beautiful. Odin Sphere itself is a game from the PS2 / early PC era, but it got an upres in 2016 called Leiftrasir. That is another ton of fun to play and look at game that reminds me of earlier more arcade-like games.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I already couldn’t find enough time for all I wanted to play, now I might as well give up sleeping altogether (and call sick at work for 2-3 years).
I hate you. :rage:

1 Like

Haha, I know how you feel. Steam doesn’t make it easy to get through your backlog. I hope I still feel like playing videogames once I retire, because that seems like the only point I’m going to have enough time to actually catch up on some of them.

1 Like

I hope you know d4 stats better than me. What does ’ Ultimate damage’ Diablo University Mega Doc - Google Sheets do on diamond gems? Could you plz explain to me. Sorrry for a bit of offtopic here :smiley:

There are differnt skill groups in DD4 like Basic Skills, Core skills and so on and so forth. On skillgroup is the ultimate skill group. So Ultimate damage increases the damage of ultimates.

The part I asked about is how they interact with ultimate skills that don’t deal dmg Barbarians “Wrath of the Berserker” for example. Sadly the devs answer only questions on twitter and only the questions they like to answer so it’s hard to tell what said stat does for non dmg ultimates.

Depending on a random person on the internet it increases the effect of non damageing ultimates as well. I still don’t know hoe this would interact with Wrath of the berserker so my random take is if there is no damage to be increased on an ultimate skill the stat is useless. If the Barbarian uses Iron Maelstrom for example it’s just more dmg.

edit So Wrath of the Berserker is somehow the only Ultimate skill without innate dmg and the only outlier here.

2 Likes

Absolutely correct! I wouldn’t say better. Yea are fckng right for 1000% :smiley::raised_hand: the best reply for ever!

Dudes will see what Blizzard did to Overwatch, Diablo Immortals, etc etc and still buy into their next big release and buy the seasonal battle pass.

Like, do we never learn? lmao

Play what’s fun to you I guess, but it’s somewhat infuriating on a personal level to see Blizzard constantly rewarded for terrible business practices.

2 Likes

There’s nowt as queer as folk & no, people often don’t learn when confronted by the new shiny.

Well have fun with an infuriating life then because Blizzard is there to last no matter what they do right or wrong.

Sure, I just won’t give them my money because you can do more than just be apathetic to the shit they do.

I’m voting with my wallet and saying Blizzard doesn’t deserve my money.

You’re acting like we have to give Blizzard money because they’ll just keep being shitty no matter what we do… “We already built the orphan crushing machine, so we might as well crush some orphans. The machine already exists and it would be a waste to not use it. What about the orphans we already crushed? How’s it fair to them if they got crushed and we stopped crushing more?”

I don’t know about you, but I’m capable of not financially supporting a company - no matter how large and profitable it is - which does shitty anti consumer things.

1 Like

Which is fair enough (it’s your money after all) & more power to you for taking that stand (it’s going to do fuck all, as you know, but it’s the principle that counts).

1 Like

Basically. lmao

1 Like

edit dooming on company and leave everything else out of sight is the definition of double standard to me. We Germans call this hypocrisy.
It’s not good if any firm does shady stuff but then again I can’t do anything against it because I’m not in a powerfull enough position to do so. I’m happy for everyone who is but if Blizzard for example is the shady company here I’m baffeled seeing you in a game that is sponsored by Tencent because most players I know think tencet is devil reincarnate for the gaming industry.

Sadly, also the case. Where & how far we want to take our principled stands is a deeply personal one.

Being value of being able to pat oneself on the back, while standing on a morality soapbox, cannot be understated.

Muh… corperashuns… REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I’m closing this thread as it has devolved into user harassment.

1 Like