I have some story related questions

SPOILERS OBVs.

First. Is the immortal king of the undead, the same as that immortal emperor in the ruined era? I was a bit confused about these two.

Second. It seems rather too obvious that Grael will betray you and become the Immortal king. Any community theories around here on who he is?

Third. It raised all kiiiinds of red flags for me, when in the temple of eterra - we go back in time to snatch the keys needed to lower the bridge down to the remains of the emperor. It feels here, and many other places, that we are actually the one fucking everything up lol. Any thoughts on that?

Lastly. Is there any evidence or theories from people here as to if the time loop is a closed one? Because if it’s a closed loop, isn’t all our actions just causing everything to happen as it did?

Never expected to actually enjoy the story in this game, especially with time travel. But I’m hooked on it. Seeing the full story is pretty much the main thing I’m looking forward to now. Just hope it isn’t Game of Thrones S8 all over again.

3 Likes

They look the same so I’d say yes. When we were teased the Remains, I thought about the Emperor.

That’s my theory. I made a long post a while ago that got no response, because I also wanted to know what other players think. This would explain why Yulia followed him.
One other point: for me, Yulia is on the “right” side. But during a dev stream, Mike said she had been “bad” all along. I’m still confused with that. But I agree, it seems too obvious.

The Remains in the temple are rather recent. Several months ago, there was another boss, totally different. And all voice lines “Eterra, is that you?” or “Have you come to make me whole” are the ones of the former boss, that’s a bit confusing.

1 Like

Here is my inital post about the story:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Gonna read through it now.

Edit: Finished, nice summary. Surprised that there was no response. The thing with Grael being the emperor, or rather the problem with it, is that it doesn’t seem to be any alternatives. There is no one else you interact with that could fit. So the story is kinda “it has to be Grael because it can’t be anyone else”. Though who knows, maybe we are wrong and will get surprised.

Maybe upon killing Rayheh, Grael uses the power of the spear to consume all his power and become an immortal God. Betraying the player. But here’s the problem if that happens. The player character would have no problem convincing Grael of the doom he will bring upon himself, and basically ending humanity if he does this. So it will be (IMO) kinda dumb if Grael goes “Whatever lol - power!” knowing it will destroy himself and humanity. So there has to be something more logical there.

We could ofc be missing some clues - and be totally wrong. Dunno. In any case, excited to see the full story.

I have a few theories but it is also possible that the player character could be the immortal emperor. One of the theories I have is that the Emperor doesn’t realize the player character was him/her at a younger age (when they meet) because the emperor is several hundred years old and has likely been so corrupted they has forgotten that they were ever good (personality and appearance). Also, Yulia mentions that she FAILED Grael when the PC and Immortal Emperor meet. I took this to mean that Grael died of some unknown reason but now that I think about it it could also mean that she failed to stop him from being corrupted into the Immortal Emperor. The story is highly interesting and one that has driven me to read all the conversations about the game (unlike other games). Another reason why I think the PC might be the immortal emperor is because several hints point to the Immortal Emperor being the cause of the void. Since the PC is the one changing the timelines and not Grael, the PC is the one that actually sets everything in motion so that the timelines are what they are. I am definitely interested in finishing the campaign once they complete it.

I thought so, but now we have a bit of Void in Chapter 9, in our present, so it slightly changes the point of view.

Very true. I still think Grael is the best explanation but the PC would be a good second theory. Outside of that, I can’t come up with another person. We know it can’t possibly be Gerrick, Yulia or Harton because they all Serve the Emperor and the only 2 really big characters involved in the PC’s story at this point is the PC themselves and Grael? With that said, we still have 3 full chapters left and there could be a big person be introduced but I would think that would be pretty late in the story.

I haven’t fully finished Chapter 9 so my theory may change at the end. I also haven’t played through the alternate timelines of the end game. Just bought the game a few days ago. I am pretty sure the PC is responsible for releasing the void and I think that is tied directly to the epoch.

One thing I remember from the beginning of the story or somewhere in the lore, can’t remember now is that a SHARD of void was kept in the Temple of Eterra. Why did they call it a shard? We know there was a shard in the temple but that was a shard of the epoch which we grabbed after we defeated the fallen emperor in the temple. Upon grabbing that shard, the boss says “Orobyss has been released”. So I am thinking the PC’s actions caused the void to be let loose on the world.

" The origins of the Void are unknown. It is said that when Eterra formed the world out of nothingness a shard of The Void remained, which she kept hidden in the Temple of Eterra."

what if orobyss and Eterra are two sides of the same entity. Now i am imagining the two entities from Legend of Kora and how they were initially tied together, but freeing one frees the other.

hmm, interesting concept. I had thought Eterra created this world that we play and somehow a part of the void made it in by accident as there were other timelines that did not have the void’s presence. Or releasing the void kills Eterra? Orobyss the chaos side, Eterra being the creation side? I feel like the devs did a really good job creating a lot of mystery.

1 Like

I always thought the immortal king is actually the last line of defense before the world is devoured by the void. I noticed that the undeads cannot be corrupted by the void (maybe I am wrong).

So it would make sense Gyreal resorted to becoming an undead in despair when the void was taking over everything.

This reminds me of Elder/Shaper influence from POE. There are these two godly beings vying for power and they force everyone to join their side so the other side cannot get that manpower.

On a different Lore Tangent i wonder how the hybrid races came to be like the Nagasa and Osprey and how normal humans fit in.

I thought races like Nagasas and Ospreys are direct replica/off-springs of the Gods they serve, like Majasa (snake-humanoid) creating the Nagas, and Rahteh (avians) creating the Ospreys

And humans are just one of the races that co-exist with all the other races, some also worshipping the Gods and some having their own religions and such

“Last line of defense”, that’s an interesting theory. I just finished chapter 9 and my theory about the PC being the Immortal King has changed. Is it still possible? Sure, but I think it is much more likely Grael at this point.

I know @Shtrak said that there is a bit of void already. This is true but that’s because Apophis brought it in from the future. The fact that she can time travel is alarming since I thought only the epoch allows that. This raises more questions rather than answers things for me. Could it be that the developers are getting ready to show us the changes in the world based on our actions in the campaign? I don’t think Apophis would have ever been able to travel if the PC did not find the epoch. Oddly enough, Apophis was able to CONTROL the void by planting it into Majasa’s mind. I don’t remember any other character able to do this.

So now we have this new character who may be responsible for bringing the void into the world rather than the PC.

@demonobento brought up a good point that perhaps the void started due to Apophis’ actions from the future here in the divine era and the only way Grael believed he could stop the spread of the void was use the lance to become the immortal emperor and therefore prevent the void from corrupting the minds of the living by turning everyone into the undead!?

The other thing I am confused about is that in the lore it says that the Immortal Emperor was responsible for the death of the Gods… The only person that has killed a God so far is the PC who is also responsible “in part” for disrupting the other Gods? This is why I still believe the PC could still be the immortal emperor.

Chapter 9 was probably my favorite chapter and makes me chomping at the bit for more chapters lol. Devs are doing a great job keeping me at the edge of my seat.

I will add that in Mythology, Apophis is known as the God of Chaos and Darkness, so perhaps Apophis is the embodiment of the void itself?

Why do you think that? I don’t remember anything saying Apophis is from the future.

IMO Apophis is how the void gets a foothold on Eterra with the events immediately prior to the fight with Majasa.

Oh, let me clarify. I am not saying Apophis is from the future, that could be true but not necessarily. After you kill Majasa, it appears that Apophis jumps into a portal in time. In the room where you fight Apophis, what appears to be portals are in the room with Void creeping out of them. When I saw this I was making the assumption that she summoned the void through the portals from the future? I suppose it could also be the past, but that wouldn’t make much sense (at least not right now).

I agree that Apophis is probably how the void gets a foothold.

Did some research and I don’t think I am the only one who thinks this way:

“Apophis seals herself off in Majasa’s temple, away from the world, where her countless faithful servants would protect her. The Traveler encounters her in the lower sanctum, who she desperately tries to keep off by summoning her Nagasa and eventually Void entities from the future. Eventually, she flees, leaving countless rifts open to the dark future, from where the creatures of dread swarm.”

“Majasa is however defeated by the Traveler. Just as they get to her, Apophis finishes channeling, and admits that she won’t die thanks to the powers of Orobyss. Then, she travels forward in time.”

I’m not sure the game ever says that the void is from the future though. It could be but just because the future is a void-infested ruin doesn’t mean that that’s where it came from.

If that kind of hypothesis is supported by in-game text/comments/etc that’s fine. But just because the wiki says it doesn’t make it true.