Give us a WASD movement OPTION

beta scheduled on this year (November, if I remember correctly), and after couple of months, it will be fully released. So it’s quite soon.

GGG has announced PoE2 as early as 2020. It keeps getting pushed back. I highly doubt it will be released before late 2025.

EDIT: It should also be noted that they had announced the beta for June before delaying it (yet again) and now they’re not calling it a beta but early access. So yeah, I wouldn’t hold my breath for early 2025. I wouldn’t even be surprised if it only came out in 2026.

It’s one thing to delay game when it’s only started to cook, but when it’s close to release, after they made all those playtests and preparing last things, I wouldn’t expect further delays again. But if you are monitoring it since like 2019, I can totally get how you see it at this point :slight_smile:

They were going to release the beta earlier this month and, presumably, the game would launch late this year or early 2025. And yet, this close to release, they delayed it yet again.
Not only that, but renaming the beta to early access just makes it seem like it will take longer to release.

It’s useless to argue about it anyway, we’ll see when it finally launches.

1 Like

That makes no sense. No developer announces their game with a release time when they just started working on it anyway.
The vast majority of release delays happen “close to release”, because a release date usually is given a couple of months before that date. When that is announced the game is not “finished” and the release date is an estimation fo when the game will be ready.

With everything you have said in this thread, it is really obvious to see, that you think you know a lot, but in reality you know very little about how things work.

3 Likes

Yea, that’s the hard part. Disassociating the targeting direction from movement direction adds a few thousand extra dev hours if everything goes perfectly.

8 Likes

You really dont have a clue about programming.

That software is an imulation of WASD. Ita a completely different thing to actually put WASD in the game as a core feature.

Same video u linked has been linked a few times here and spammed like crazy on steam forms by the guy in that video

That guy also doesnt get how its easier said than dont to actually add WASD.

Its not as simple as just slapping WASD into the game. As plenty have tried explaining to u.

Oh, would never guess it is THAT hard :slight_smile: But why you need to dissociate it, can’t you forget about joystick and just emulate mouse clicks on pressing WASD? So everything would work as it usually does when people are using mouse, just with extra mouse clicks on pressing those keys.

Or as an option, if you prefer to do it in the joystick way, maybe you can stop movement for a tiny moment, when using ability? Then it wouldn’t conflict with movement direction. Also, isn’t your current version of controller don’t shoot abilities in the movement direction? I thought it has some kind of aim support instead.

Despite being told so multiple times by multiple people in this discussion.

Just being told, without clear arguments, doesn’t mean much, people can be wrong. It is not the question of number of people, but question of what arguments they are using.

It is a mandatory step and we can’t ship WASD controls without it.

This is a major feature that can’t be completed quickly.

2 Likes

But why though? I don’t understand. I am sure you can emulate mouse clicks.

You were told with very clear arguments.

I hope you have taken the last part of your statement to heart and realize that you, too, can be wrong.

1 Like

I totally understand that I can be wrong. I am always checking what makes more sense to me and if got new meaningful information, easily change my mind, otherwise it would be impossible to really think about anything. That is why I am asking about arguments and don’t accept just “No, it’s hard, you just don’t understand it” as an argument. When actual dev says, that dissociating aimimg from movement is too hard — then sure, it is apriory means, that it is hard for them. Still don’t understand though, why would we need to dissociate it.

It’s really just what’s already been said on this thread so I won’t just say it all again.

Currently every animation assumes that the movement and casting directions are the same at all times. Allowing moving one way and casting the other either redoing every player animation in the game means you will see people moonwalking all over the place.

Every ability in the game assumes that the player is facing the directing that they are moving. If this becomes false, hundreds of abilities, cast and triggered, need to be checked, updated and tested. I wasn’t even thinking of this before so tack another thousand dev hours onto my previous estimate.

I’m sure there are other things I’m not thinking about too. When you’re making the systems, you make every time optimization you can. Anything you know is going to be one way every time can be used to make the game run faster. We’ve used the knowledge that the player is moving and casting in the same direction all over the place. Splitting it would need to be done right after a major patch so that we had the full 3 months to find all the random little bugs that popped up.

5 Likes

But wait, we already passed this stage in our previous discussion — if you are clicking mouse to move in one direction and then click mouse in another direction to shoot ability, it is already in the game, why would you need to change anything? Imagine that you are clicking mouse right from your character and he is moving there, then clicking on the mob. Now, you are pressing “D” and do the same exact thing from the gane’s perspective.

Because you can’t move and shoot in two different directions at the same time.

3 Likes

And you don’t need to. Simplest implementation, when you do the same thing players currently doing, just with WASD instead of actually clicking for movement, would be totally fine and would allow people who doesn’t like click-to-move enjoy the game.

I mean, pressing key can just emulate a mouse click, that’s all.

Yes you do. That suggestion would introduce a level of jank that may have been ok for us 6 years ago but we aren’t willing to have it look like that right now.

3 Likes