Gender locked classes

Considering how few options there are on the market I would say the number of people who have more than a cursory interest in the genre but would skip Last Epoch specifically because of this is exactly zero. And for those who value character customization over gameplay, “top dog” #4 is coming out very soon.

Yeah, imagine how many people will go play Diablo 4 mainly because of the fact have this extremely important option for so many players, since this or PoE does not have it, eh?!!??!!
I sometimes wished I could choose Gender too in games, but if the Option is not there, I quite simply does not bother with it. Doesn´t mean I do not want to play a game or go cry about it.

3 Likes

I loud minority, as always.

A game being good >>>>>>>>>> customization options.

1 Like

Kedanor never said how many players feel it’s important “so many” does not even imply anything more than “some”. Just because you disagree with something doesn’t mean you need to denigrate the person saying it.

1 Like

I struggle to understand how you came to that conclusion.

To me, “so many” has some intentional weight into it. Is “extremely important” also calls for some urge or severity of the issue at hand.

Far from the truth, specially in a top-down ARPG. Maybe is “extremely important” to a handful of people out there, for 95% is “nice to have” at most, far from a hard requirement.

If the game turns out a very good game (and I am rooting for it), that’s what really matters. A bad game with a full ultra-detailed customization will not make any difference in sales and recognition at the end of the day.

Want to choose gender? Hey you have Wolcen, let me know if it is a better game or earned any positive influence because of it. And they voice acted the entire campaign with male and female main character.

1 Like

What do you mean Last Epoch has gender locked classes? The game never specifies their gender, does it?
That’s right. Last Epoch already has gender customization because the gender of each class is decided by YOU. There. Problem solved.

1 Like

Male mage is weird after D2, POE and D3

Because “so many” refers to an absolute amount (10, 20, 100, 1,000, whatever) rather than a relative amount (most, minority, majority). It is so unspecified it allows the reader to project themselves and their views onto it (we read what we want to read).

Is that the D3 that had both male and female character models and no character backstory to speak of? D1 also had a male sorc, so D2 was a bit weird.

I agree that greater character customization would be welcome. It’s a big selling point of Diablo 4 because they recognize it’s important.

I for one enjoy role playing as my character as sort of an avatar of myself.

1 Like

Lost Ark has it too for some classes and there is also a vocal minority claiming they won’t play the game if it doesn’t change. Guess what - it hasn’t changed yet they’re still playing.

Character models in Last Epoch are low poly models anyway so it’s not like you can even see much. I’ve never understood people who are so obsessed with genders in games. Being a man I sometimes play with female characters just for the sake of doing something different. I don’t understand how that impacts your enjoyment of the game.

2 Likes

Same. Makes literally zero difference to me at all what gender my character is. Never has and I have been playing RPG games (tabletop & PC) for decades. Only time I have ever cared about race or gender in a game is when, like sometimes in D&D based games, your choice has an impact on the character stats.

And seriously, in the heat of the action you cannot even see your char well enough to make out a gender anyway. :wink:

But hey, if some people want to chose that as their hill to die on, then thats entirely up to them. Me, I’ll just play whatever is available.

4 Likes

That’s because it’s important to them and not to you. One of my friends gets all stressy about her food having chillies in it. Apparently she could go into anaphylactic shock shrugs bit of an odd hill to die on but that’s entirely up to her…

2 Likes

To everyone saying that it ‘doesn’t matter,’ and pointing out how PoE has it and people still play that game: we are looking to improve the game not stagnate it. Diablo 4 has been widely praised for allowing greater character customization because people value it.

This game has cosmetics coming to it which I am sure we can all agree is great, but this is a fundamental cosmetic option that for some reason you think is completely frivolous? I would argue it’s more impactful than most other cosmetic options like a fancy new armor set.

If you don’t want this change, then good for you: go post some other suggestion you would like?

1 Like

Making suggestions is not the point here. Neither is cosmetics - which, although planned, dont exist yet purely because the devs are, rightly so imho, busy on the important part of the process - finishing the game. And cosmetics are going to be the way that the devs make additional revenue in the game, so for them its probably a critical part of their long term strategy about revenue but they are still focussing all their efforts on the game itself.

What I personally was commenting on is topic is the group of people who would potentially refuse to play the game because if this lack of what I, and some others, consider a purely cosmetic feature that has very little to do with the game itself. Sure its nice to customise a char to look like you, sound like you or even a stylised version of ones own psyche but the attitude about something like this is being so important that you wouldnt play the game is something that I dont agree on.

Everyone is entitled to make suggestions, offer opinions and pick things that are most important to them, but this particular one, imho, is something 1) I dont agree with in terms of its importance and 2) find the polarising nature of the attitudes for something as trivial as gender in a game very odd.

Each to their own. I personally hope that the devs continue to progress the core parts of the game before spending their limited time & resources on something like this right now.

2 Likes

I agree that saying one refuses to play the game until the feature is added is ridiculous.

While this thread has many replies (including 9 of yours which in turn elicit more replies like this one), relatively few threads are about cosmetics and customisation, which is good because there should be some but not none.

We should probably trust that players can provide suggestions on the feedback and suggestions forum freely and that the developer will prioritize development appropriately.

1 Like

Sure. Some of us have been here for years now and every few months this same issue comes up - if only this topic was 9 replies from me I may have a little more patience but it gets dull after a while and some topics can have the most vocal minority that needs to be countered with rationality.

Thankfully the devs have and hopefully will continue on the road they are on and not, imho, put too much priority on things like this until they have the appropriate time to do so.

As far as I can tell, this is the highest voted suggestion (could be I didn’t scroll far enough).

And yet it’s filled with folks talking about how it doesn’t matter to them… and maybe kindof hinting that the topic shouldn’t be important (or just straight-up saying it shouldn’t).

:laughing: humans are so funny.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong having these kind of suggestions or having people disagreeing in the comments and replies. Just because it’s the highest-voted topic doesn’t mean this thread shouldn’t accept “anti” replies. This is a forum after all, it’s just people voicing their opinions. Or sometimes replying to other ridiculous or baffling comments that’ll make you scratch your head.

The problem is that some people makes it so much of a big deal as if the game suddenly turns shit or unplayable because it doesn’t have the availability to select gender. Or how some people makes this so much of a priority that the devs should work on asap. Or how some saying that having gender selection is the biggest selling point of some games and LE should have it too, etc. Ofc I know you disagree with some of these.

Like the devs said, making this into reality takes a lot of time and resources and they just have so much on their hands right now. And don’t get me wrong, ofc I like this addition in the game, but shouldn’t be a priority. I’d rather have a much more enjoyable and balanced game with lots of content to enjoy with first (which I’m fully aware that nobody asked) before any miscellaneous. Which I think most of the “anti” replies here are usually about.

5 Likes

There are certain topics - as with in real life - where those demanding certain things are far more vocal than others who are either not as passionate about it or its not important to them vs other things.

Sometimes this fervour isnt actually representative of the value or importance of a topic to the greater community nor is it expressed by the majority of the community in numbers either.

It may be a number one priority to the 110 or so people who have voted here for the idea but it may only be a nice to have for the majority of the thousands of players of LE. I dont know, I dont have the data and I dont think it exists. For others, myself included, I would assume that there are other features (perhaps many) that are generally more important for the wider community rather than the 110 people who voted here.

As I have said before, the devs have a lot to do to even get the game done and this particular feature they have said isnt impossible for them to do eventually but that it represents a mountain of work that they simply dont have the time for right now.

2 Likes