GB/CA rework

Hello

I have a suggestion for a change to Glancing Blow and Critical Strike Avoidance affixs.

Current you need a minimum of seven slots to get 100% in both of these, and that’s max stat tier 5s. at the start you will be using about 11-12 slots to even get to 50% in these stats.

Now these are currently active defences and are a must have, especially for the tank classes.

The problem is this means those classes suffer in terms of low DPS and slow progress rate, due to tickle killing mobs!

So my suggest is:-

To uprate how much % both this affixs get per tier.
-Tier 1 = 9-11%
-Tier 2 = 19-21%
-Tier 3 = 29-31%
-Tier 4 = 39-41%
-Tier 5 = 49-51%

This would then mean you would only need 2 slots each for Glancing blow and Crit Strike Avoidance. With a chance of needing 3 each!

It would also mean the removal of Set Glancing Blow, as it wouldn’t be needed anymore. So one less affixs in your forge tab!

Also by doing this, we would be able to build solid defences using those lovely unique items. Which I current can not, not without sacrificing my defence!

The effect would mean, low DPS characters will be able to spec a little more into damage, or extra protection ratings etc.

It would also mean classes that would normally forgo them like mages and lich build, would have the option to spec into these as well. Without destroying there DPS.

You could argue to remove GB and half mob damage, but then you would also need to totally rework Ward to balance it out!

Would it unbalance the game? I don’t believe so as you still have the option to use, or not to use. Maybe the player believes a bit more DPS will get their character further faster.

So you would end up with GB/CA/Ward and GB/CA/Prot builds.

This way it just feels much fairer for everyone, at least to me it does!

Please leave constructive comments, for pros and cons of doing this.

Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

For the “basic” version of glancing blow, perhaps. At higher levels a better version is available (chance to receive a glancing blow per equipped item) & you need either 5 (t4 affixes, min rolls) or 4 (t5 affixes min rolls) affix slots to get 100% (or 96% for the t5).

Yes, but they are tanks, they’re not supposed to have as much dps as glass cannon.

Well, removing set glancing blow (a prefix, generally where all the offensive affixes are) would help with the tankier builds (though since all builds “should” be using glancing blow, it would help the dps builds as well), but keeping the “normal” glancing blow would suck up defensive affix slots from all builds, though a lot fewer. How about they add a third version of glancing blow (that drops at higher levels) with values around what you suggest but being both prefix & suffix? That way if your build has spare suffix slots (due to it being a high ward build & therefore not needing protections) you could stick it there, or if you get lots of dps from your tree but are hurting for protections/defences you could stick it in a prefix slot.

I don’t have a problem with that, since uniques give (or should give) unique methods of obtaining effects (like the gloves that convert bleed into ignite, allowing a build that has lots of bleed a chance to go ignite instead).

Not really, if the end game is balanced around everyone having 100% glancing blow, then you’d get the same effect, just without the affixes.

4 Likes

I’m one of those people who advocate more radical changes of defensive mechanics :slight_smile: .

But this post is more about balancing and affix problem rather about mechanics itself. And I was thinking about affixes, especially about the fact, why defense and offense is not separated completely? I mean, yeah, most of offensive attributes are gained from prefixes, and most of defensive - from suffixes. But why can we obtain “other” attributes from the “other side” ?

Lets make it like …

• prefixes - always offensive
  • suffixes - always defensive or attributes
  • support effects are always used as a part of main defensive or offensive effect.

And this means that …

• all looted equipment has completely random affixes.
  • all non-top crafted items have focused attributes whatever you like.
  • all top crafted items have 50 / 50 defensive and offensive attributes
  • your build is about EXACT attributes you choose and skills / passives of your character

Also I don’t like the idea of duplicated functionality or separating obviously related effects. So, how about something like this …

PREFIXES:

• Elemental damage: increases elemental damage by 6/14/24/36/50%.
  • Spell damage: increases spell damage by 6/14/24/36/50%.
  • Melee damage: increases melee damage by 8/18/30/44/60%.
  • Damage over time: increases damage over time by 8/18/30/44/60%.
  • Spell haste (wand / staff/ catalyst): increases casting speed and mana efficiency by 6/12/18/24/30%.
  • Thirsty steel (melee weapons): increases melee physical damage by 2/4/7/11/15 and life steel from melee damage by 1/2/3/4/5%.
  • Lightning blade (non-blunt melee weapons): increases melee lightning damage by 2/4/7/11/15 and base melee critical chance by 1/2/3/4/5.
  • Critical leech (any weapon): for attacks / spells increases base critical strike chance and life leech from critical hits by 2/4/6/8/10%
  • Fire power: increases fire damage by 9/18/27/36/45% and chance to Ignite on hit by 4/8/12/16/20%.
  • Chilling strike: increases cold damage by 10/20/30/40/50% and chance to Chill on hit by 5/10/15/20/25%.
  • Crippling strike: grants 5/10/15/20/25% chance to Slow on hit and increases damage against slowed enemies by 10/20/30/40/50%.
  • Ambush: grants 5/10/15/20/25% chance to Blind on hit and increases chance to critically hit blinded enemies by 10/20/30/40/50%.

SUFFIXES:

• Health: increases health by 10/20/30/40/50 and increases max. health by 1/2/3/4/5%
  • Stone body: increases health by 15/25/35/50/65 and decreases duration of enemy damage over time effects by 1/1/2/2/3%.
  • Healing potions: increases chance to find potions by 5/10/15/20/25. Increases max health and health gained from potions by 15/30/45/60/75.
  • Regeneration potions: increases chance to find potions by 5/10/15/20/25 and health regeneration by 4/8/12/16/20%. On potion use increases health regeneration by 5/10/15/20/25 for 4 seconds.
  • Efficiency: increases health regeneration by 6/12/18/24/30% and mana efficiency by 3/6/9/12/15%.
  • Elemental protection: increases elemental protection by 20/40/60/80/100 and globally by 4/8/12/16/20% .
  • Molten shell: increases fire protection by 40/80/120/160/200 and deals 1/2/3/4/5 fire damage to any attacker.
  • Necrotic skin: increases necrotic protection by 40/80/120/160/200 and deals 1/2/3/4/5 necrotic damage to any attacker.
  • Poisonous flesh: increases poison protection by 40/80/120/160/200 and grants 3/6/9/12/15% chance to poison any attacker.
  • Spiked armor: increases armor by 40/80/120/160/200 and grants 3/6/9/12/15% chance to bleed any attacker.
  • Weighted armor: increases armor and stun avoidance by 40/80/120/160/200
  • Juggernaut armor: increases armor by 40/80/120/160/200 and decreases effectiveness of enemy Slow and Chill effects by 1/2/2/3/4%.

Well, enough examples… what was I… ? Ah yes, glancing blows :blush:
I’ve suggested to unite it with dodge. So how could possible affix look like?

Honestly, I don’t know why we need that formula as we can just use a simple flat chance bonus. Every character has 10-11 equipment items. I’ve suggested to combine dodge with GB and limit possible dodge near 30-35%. So it’s 3% per item, right? Something like that …

Every 5 Dexterity increases dodge chance by 2%.

DODGE SUFFIXES:

• Dexterity: adds 1/2/4/6/8 dexterity attribute. Incompatible with any other dodge affix (may not be chosen with them).
  • Dodge and recover: increases health regeneration by 5/10/15/20/25% and dodge chance by 1/1/2/2/3.
  • Quickness (boots, amulet): increases movement speed by 6/10/14/17/20% and dodge chance by 1/1/2/2/3.
  • Swiftness (gloves, non-caster weapons): increases attack / throwing speed by 3/6/9/12/15% and dodge chance by 1/1/2/2/3.
  • Temporizing (helm, catalyst): increases cooldown recovery speed by 2/3/4/5/7% and dodge chance by 1/1/2/2/3.
  • Blurring potion (belt): increases chance to find potions and chance to blind attackers by 7/14/21/28/35%. Increases dodge chance by 1/2/3/4/5 for 4 seconds on potion use.

P.S. Primalist probably should have +1/2 dodge passive instead of his glancing blows passives.

1 Like

I think I quite like most of those ideas, though you might want to change your “attributes” to “affixes” (since attributes are strength, int, etc).

That formula does look quite complex, but it’s analagous to how they’re treating resists/protections, they don’t want to have an upper bound where you “spend” X affix slots & you reach the cap & then you’re good to go. They want you to have to keep increasing the amount of dodge you have to keep a constant chance as you level.

you mean this?

If so, then I must note, that I was talking about attribute affixes (str, vit, att …), because they mostly have defensive role.

Yeah, I get it, but is it really effective way? I mean, current dodge formula allows you to get really high value early on. And current dodge cap is very high - 80%. While I’ve suggested much simpler and much more limited mechanics. Every affix level has some character level requirements, so even if you have a lot of affixes to craft or some prepared items, 10 items with level 3 suggested dodge affixes grant 20% dodge only. And this reduces incoming damage by ~36%. Current dodge from 10 items with level 3 affixes equals ~400-600. I don’t remember requirements for such items, but lets assume that it’s level 30. On this level 500 average dodge rating becomes 50-60%+ dodge chance. Level 5 affixes increases this value further, though it drops again to 60%+ at level 100 (with 10 affixes). And those 60-65% overall damage reduction is the same dodge reduction cap in my suggestion. But it’s much more linear. May be it’s just my taste, but I think it’s better than current amplitude of effectiveness :slight_smile: .

These might be very good suggestions. On paper this sounds ok and doable. Although there’s no point in your list that is absolutely needed to be implemented. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think your suggestions are bad. But I am not convinced they are needed.

You are touching every aspect of itemisation of this game. For me it’s not obvious why there should be a change of almost everything.

Imho it’s very unlikely that EHG would do such a complete overhaul especially with the goal to have a release this year. Balancing this would take a reasonable amount of time. I I don’t see a real reason to do so.

1 Like

In fact, you are 100% right :slight_smile:
No matter how these discussions go, it’s just pointless to change that is already works, especially in game’s current state, because, I think it’s obvious, there’s still a lot of things to do :thinking: .

But who says we shouldn’t wish to see this game getting better? :smirk:
I believe most people understand that our scribble has a role of some problems / wishes archive with small chance to be used as a basis for future rethink / rework. At least it’s OK for me personally :blush:

1 Like

And yeah, about need …
Well, there’s no real need to change current Glancing blows, right? This parameter is useful and understandable… it just works. So as Critical avoidance… or… cough-cough… Ward :blush: .

Yet still they feel like something unavoidable, like it isn’t your choice to pick exactly these types of defense in the first place, but made while being forced by knowing of gloomy alternative.

So yes, no real need - just a wish to have a better RPG-component :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.