Game will not launch

Heya I just bought this game yesterday and I can’t get it to start on steam or with the launcher. When I try to start the game it either crashes instantly with the loading screen popping up for a second or two or the screen hangs and slowly crashes my whole computer forcing me to do a hard shut down.

I’m not at my computer right now but I will reply when I get home with the logs. But I have a gtx 1070 and meet the minimum specs.

I have also tried all the common recommended fixes of no overlays and rolling back my video driver with the ddu fresh installs. I tried validating my files and running in compatibility mode. So far nothing has made any difference. Not sure what I can do or if I just have to wait for a new patch, but I am unable to open the game. I was able to get it to open on my dad’s computer and he has an older computer and video card. But I can’t just go to my dads house when I want to play haha.

Hopefully someone can figure out a fix and I’ll wait for a few patches and see if anything gets fixed on my end and update this thread accordingly.

Off the top of my head
I5-2500
8g ram
Gtx 1070
Windows 10

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

Sorry you are having hassles with the game… Maybe gift your Dad a copy? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From the info you have provided you really need to provide the logs and other information as to your game settings and system setup.. Based on what you have said you already tried, it will be virtually impossible to help without more specifics.

Here is all my log files hopefully some solution can be found. Still unable to open the game at this time.

Funny thing about my dad is he actually found this game and already owns it and recommended it to me haha. He hasn’t played in a while and is waiting for the official launch now so I wanted to see if the new patch borked it on his computer too, but works fine for him.

Player.log (26.8 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)
DxDiag.zip (14.7 KB)

Hey.

Thanks for these files…

Please can you check C:/Users/Evan/AppData/Local/Temp/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Crashes for the Error log that was created on crashing… It may have more useful info.

Before I continue - and I know you said you did but - please verify the game files - I just want to make 100% sure that corrupted install is not the problem here…

Your Player.log contains a message I have not seen yet and I have been helping out on the tech forum for a while: d3d11: failed to create 2D texture, d3d11: failed to create 3D texture, d3d11: failed to create Cube texture followed by a Crash report.

This makes me think there is some sort of DirectX/Graphic Driver problem on your system…

Your le_graphicsmanager.ini file is WRONG… its missing lines… Specifically the Bloom setting & more importantly the MemoryAllocation setting… Now the memory allocation setting is directly related to the texture memory which matches the odd player.log messages which all refer to being unable to create textures…

First thing to try - with the game not running, delete the le_graphicsmanager.ini file… this should force the game to recreate a new valid one…

Next…
Your OS patching and graphics driver look ok…
Your harddrive should be good (although there is a firmware update for it - you may want to check if you need it)

The diagnostic section of your DxDiag file contains the LE errors but more importantly, there are some dwm.exe errors that are concerning:

Unless you have some other app that is also dwm.exe dwm.exe is usually the desktop windows manager that makes all the fancy graphics in Windows OS… from the errors it looks like its crashing and taking KERNELBASE.dll down with it… This is not good as all of these things are related to hardware graphics accelleration - i.e. the same things LE is trying to use. So… imho, you need to resolve this problem independently of any issue that LE might be having… It may be involved in the LE problem but you need to fix it even if its not.

I would suggest that you start with System File Checker and then run Windows Update after that process has completed. I would also suggest that you check your Windows Error logs and see if there is anything happening on your machine that needs dealing with…

Next I would make sure that you are not using any other graphic related applications that could be impacting on the graphics subsystem - ie. some dsktop tool that swaps windows or hides things - anything that you are using that might not be what the average user could be running… Check it and google to see if it has any issues that it may have…

Lastly, although none of the information you have provided points specifically to anything, I would check the hardware on your system - i.e. monitor your GPU/CPU etc and see if things are maxing out, watch thermals especially on both - your CPU is pretty old now - when last did you replace the thermal paste on the heatsink? Also watch clock speeds and power draw (something like HWMonitor or whatever your favourite is) - its always important on older systems to make sure that things are running ok. … and as a last thing… if you dont do general maintenance often, open your case and clean it and make sure all the cables are in place and the fans are running etc.

Hmm interesting. So did the steam validation again and found no problems. I deleted the le_graphicsmanager.ini. I did try this before sometimes it makes a new one and sometimes it doesn’t. But I have never seen the MemoryAllocation setting in it before. I tried adding them myself and that didn’t work.

I tried the system file checker and windows update after. Nothing running in the background other than steam, windows, nvidia settings (which i can’t exit, it always reopens) and windows defender.

Now I downloaded hwmonitor and nothing is running hard at all actually while it hangs. The VRAM caps out at 100% but my computer is not even running hard or anything. I have had some games go and the fans get super noisy but when this is loading it’s almost like my computer is doing nothing.

Here is a crash log. Not sure what else I can do. Ill try a hardware clean tonight and see if that helps.

Player.log (20.4 KB)
error.log (32.9 KB)

Ok, that single statement is very odd… It needs this file and should be creating it… Its also not something that you should be manually editing tho…

I think that you should backup the entire last epoch folder and then delete it and let the game recreate everything from scratch… If it launches, then
perhaps something in the Last Epoch folder was foobar.

my default le_graphicsmanager.ini file is here for comparison
le_graphicsmanager.ini (536 Bytes)

Thats not good either… my 1060 doesnt top out out the vram on the settings I use - average 70%, max 75%. Anything that is maxing out your GPU in any way is not good as stability issues almost always appear when this happens - can be something transient like a freeze for a second or two, or crashing. You havent even gotten into the game so that really makes no sense…

This could be thermals ramping up fast or GPU usage… Its unlikely that your GPU is going to sound “super noisy” if your “computer is doing nothing”… Thats counter intuitive so to be thats a red flag to investigate.

These files have different errors to the last batch… So something changed that affected the game - something you did is definitely involved here… Its still not positive but its a step - back or forward is hard to tell not being one of the EHG devs tho… You need to try and see what this was…

What is the computer doing before it crashes… Not when it crashes… E.g. when LE loads a new map for instance, the GPU usage will drop to nothing (because its not doing any rendering in that moment)… so you have to look at what things are doing before the crashes and try and see in Task Manager etc if there is another app/service running that immediatley spikes usage, cpu, memory etc when you try and start LE…

1. Did you find anything in your windows errors?

2. Fans getting super noisy is definitely something to check hardware wise - dust etc could be affecting things…

3. Do you have any system testing software that you can run to check stability, performance & thermals independantly of trying to play LE? Something to stress your system like Cinebench, prime95, furmark, 3D mark… anything that can run that will push your system so that you can see if there is something odd happening… Results dont matter, its the stressing it to see if things crash, overheat etc…

4. Your graphics card driver is from Feb so its new enough but considering the troubles you are having, please update it to something from the last month - doesnt have to be the latest one.

Heya, has a bit of a busy week, but I was able to get it to work! I tried lots of things like cleaning up my computer and drivers etc.

What finally worked was I did a windows reset. Now the game runs perfectly, my computer much smoother as well. I have had windows on this computer untouched for a long time so something probably got messed up over the years.

Thanks so much for all the help vapour! Great game, really enjoying it so far and glad to have it working!

Hopefully this post will help others that run into this crash!

Hey… Glad you could get it to work with a Windows reset…

Doesnt really help figure out what exactly was the cause but the wide variety of weird errors (especially the windows ones) you were getting probably meant that there was more than one thing involved here and it was probably not going to be easy to figure out.

Personally, I reinstall my Windows 10 about once every year or two. (actually overdue a reinstall right now)… Depends on how I feel its running and if I start noticing issues… Windows really isnt good at keeping itself in tip top shape over time.

Have fun playing…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.