Game silently fails to desktop when trying to start (steam)

With 0.8.1E/F sometimes the game would hang or more rarely silently CTD while trying to start then on the second time it would work. Currently with 0.8.1i I can’t start Last Epoch at all, even on a fresh reboot.

The original issue seemed connected to memory/swap as I would see both get maxed and swap start to thrash on “bad” startups, then on the second “good” startup ram might max out but swap didn’t get thrashed. I’m not sure if my current issue is a continuation of this but the symptoms seem similar. I get as far as the initial splash screen with the Last Epoch logo, ram and swap usage steadily climbs, then at some point the game window just disappears and i’m back to desktop with no error message.

dxdiag, player.log, and player-prev.log attached.

25-04-2021 shadowex3 DxDiag.txt (123.5 KB) Player.log (25.0 KB) Player-prev.log (25 KB)

Hey… Hope you have had some success since posting this…

If not, have you tried to verify your steam files for LE… the things you are describing sound suspiciously like what happens when the game files are corrupted… something that can and does happen with crashes…

Obviously I would also double check all drivers on your system and make sure there are no error logs in Windows that you need to check… the DxDiag doesnt show anything major indicating a problem but you may want to just check and see anyway.

If you think its your memory you could try some memory diagnostics.

Steam verification turned out to be the solution. First time it’s ever done anything for me, a single file was corrupted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.