Game is now constantly crashing

Player.zip (397.9 KB)
DxDiag.txt (94.0 KB)
error.log (68.8 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (483 Bytes)

Hi,

Since 0.8.4 My game will just crash to desktop mid-game, up pops a unity box with an exclamation mark, and quickly vanishes.

During the campaign, I might get 30 minutes of gameplay without a crash or hit a particular part (lagon fight especially) where just being in his room would crash 10+ attempts until I finally killed him.

Monoliths are even worse. It’s pot luck if I can get to the end of one before crashing to the desktop. Sometimes I even experience a complete system lockup and have to do a hard reboot.

I’ve tried everything I can to try and cure the problem, lowered screen resolution, turned off the sound, turned down the graphics settings to low, etc. but nothing seems to help.

I even formated my PC (lost my save games :frowning: ) reinstalled windows, redownloaded the game (stand-alone client).

I’m running an AMD 5900X + AOE 360 rad, AMD 6800XT (Saphire Nitro+), nothing is overlocked, temps are fine, DDR4 3600 ram using the XMP settings, 3 x NVME SSD’s, It’s a pretty overkill system for Last Epoch and I have zero problems playing any other game installed on my system.

As an edit I’ve also now tried playing with just 1 monitor plugged in to eliminate that from the cause and got a hard lockup on my 2nd echo, after starting up the game.

Edit 2, I had to jump through some hoops but managed to get the latest Realtek HD audio drivers installed on this fresh and fully updated win10 install. The win10 drivers dated back to 2017! I’ve now gone from unplayable to just 2 crashes in about 3 hours of gameplay. So still not perfect but much better than where I was.

If anyone could offer some wisdom that would be fantastic.

Thanks

Well I cant seem to edit the post anymore but tonight after loading up the game im back to crashing on every monolith I start :frowning: so I guess the upgraded sound drivers didnt fix the issues im having.

Hey there… Welcome to the forums…

Sorry you are having such problems with the game…

Unfortunately its in beta and early access so there are sometimes issues which prevent certain setups from working properly and its not always possible to figure out exactly what is going on…

The error.log file you provided indicated that fmodstudio.dll was the culprit of that particular error. FMOD for Unity is the sound engine that LE currently uses on top of the Unity game engine for the in-game sound etc… Attempting to update the sound files etc was probably a good starting point for fixing this… but from your posts it doesnt seem to have worked. You may want to see about disabling sound to see if that makes any difference…

It would be interesting to see if you are still getting the same errors after your reinstalls/driver updates etc… (Ps. you can delete the player.log - the game will create a new one when you next start the game)

The player.log also has a LOT of errors around the Logitech RGB option in settings for your keyboard… In fact, there are virtually no other errors in the log… DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL ‘LogitechLedEnginesWrapper’: This feature is a recent addition so its probably not that stable… It could be the game itself or it could be the logitech drivers/software that you have installed or the combination of the two. I am not sure if you have this feature enabled or not in the setting but I would disable it if you are trying it. I would also suggest updating your logitech drivers / potentially disabling them while trying ot play LE…

Another potential issue here… Do not set your framerate limit so high… LE is not a first person shooter so the extra millisecond will not make any difference… LE has known performance issues that cause crashing/instability when LE has no limits in place and maxes out the GPU when it shouldnt be… One of the primary reasons for this is a high Framerate limit… I would set this to no more than 80-100fps… In fact, you may even be able to enjoy improved quality settings with your hardware by restricting the fps to compensate… The key thing is to monitor your GPU usage and be conservative with the settings so that your GPU is only using about 60% while in town doing nothing… This leaves headroom for busy in game moments and when the game loads into new maps… Its MUCH more stable if you limit LE.

I cannot really see anything else that seems like it could be involved… Only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you are not running anything else while testing LE… doesnt matter how irrelevant you think it is, just dont run it temporarily/ dont start a service etc… There are quite a few things that have caused issues with Unity game engine so its best not to run anything…

Thanks for the reply!

In an effort to cure this problem and be able to get back to playing again I’ve been spending the odd amount of free time trying to get to the bottom of the issue! I’m in a tech position myself so it will eat away at me if it’s something I cant solve haha.

The “Drowned Thetima” level 75 echo quest will basically always crash me out. I cant complete it. I can run other echoes though. I mentioned in my OP that I had many many crashes with the Lagon fight and the initial similarity is that both that fight and this quest echo have that water targeted effect. Now I can’t say if its something off-screen or a sound effect etc but it’s something I guess?

Since the OP I’ve updated windows 10 to whatever was the latest patches and also and new set of AMD GPU drivers have been released, I will run that quest echo again and upload a fresh set of log files, in case you guys can track down whats the cause.

Cheers,
Matt.

1. List item

well what do you know I completed the quest echo haha! I’ll upload a fresh set of error logs when I inevitably crash again!

Edit #1 Well final quest echo for that line was Lagon again and I killed it first try without a crash so I guess that blows out my theory? !!!

I just have the lvl90 x 3 quest echos left on the board now. i’l give them a go and report back.

The next crash I get I will upload logs.

Matt

Matt

These are two of the primary fixes for various problems but its hard to say for sure if they are a direct reason for your improved stability. The other main fix, especially if the problem is repeatable) is to verify the game files/reinstall… Dont know if you changed anything else in the settings as I suggested above/didnt run any other apps/ or if these os & GPU updates inadvertently resolved something…

As with all tech support problems, unless you do a somewhat tedious step by step trial/testing approach, it can be very very hard to figure out exactly what step or combination of steps solved the problem

Glad you are playing tho…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.