Game Freezing and Pausing

So, I recently joined LE and Really enjoying the game. But, I am experiencing gaming issues. And yes, before anyone says, I know its a beta :stuck_out_tongue:
Ok, let’s get into it…During normal gameplay the game has these sporadic “pauses”. It happens when I am moving, fighting, doesnt matter what I’m doing.
Then, the last 2 days, the game will just stop responding completely, I get a box popping up saying Windows Explorer has stopped responding and I have to End process.
I have checked windows updates, all good.
Brand new Nvidia graphics driver, Clean installed
Have adjusted graphics in-game from Ultra to Low
No Vsync
Frame limit both on and Off…

I play a ton of other games…Black Desert Online, Marvel Avengers, Witcher 3, Madden NFL, Diablo 3…None of these games have issues. No freezes, no crashes. System not over-heating…
Any help would be really helpful…
DxDiag.txt (110.5 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (483 Bytes)
Player.log (69.1 KB)

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

Freezing / Stuttering in game is usually a performance related issue… LE is in beta and is generally unoptimised so this kind of thing does happen - the trick is finding the most stable setting that suits your setup and is visually acceptable to you…

This is likely the case as your player.log is not showing any errors beyond normal debug info & your dxdiag report is not showing anything serious on your machine /drivers (except maybe for some problems with Windows update - look at the end of the dxdiag file). LE is not being logged as crashing either…

So assuming that this is performance related…

I use a 1060 GPU and I run on very low settings at 1080p @ 60fps framerate limited - not because my system cannot get 100+ fps or play at Higher quality at decent enough framerates… It can… BUT if I do use those settings then I get freezing, stuttering and occasional crashes and my system generally works much harder…

Your 1660Ti is only about 30% faster than a 1060 so expecting it to run smoothly on Ultra settings with the game in its current state is perhaps unrealistic…

Add any other simultaneous use - like watching a youtube video or streaming to the mix while playing on higher settings is generally going to affect game performance too… Much more than with the other released games you mention… In fact, with LE in its current state, comparing other games that you can run doesnt really provide any help other than confirming that your system is generally ok.

You mentioned you tried various things around in-game settings… but you didnt specifically say what combinations of settings you used… The simplest way to test for performance issues is to set your ingame settings to the absolute lowest and then test… if the issue has gone away then you know thats the cause and can bump up the config, one item at a time, to find something that is suitable to you…

My recommendation would be the following:

1. Make sure that the game is up-to-date - it looks like you are using the launcher & not steam so it might need a manual reinstall if the launcher is not patching properly. The launcher log will indicate if its patching properly.

2. Settings:

• Set your in-game settings to Very low with all special features disabled (shadows, grass, AA etc)… Set the in-game framerate limit to 60fps (be sure to enable it). Its important to do all of these at once…
  • Test the game… see if the freezing has stopped…
  • If it has, then the issue is performance related… Now monitor your GPU usage while your character is in town doing nothing… its likely to be fairly low… Increase either the quality, special features or fps - based on what is more important to you - while standing in town watching the GPU usage… aim for about 70% max usage - this should leave enough headroom for the GPU to ramp up during busy in game moments without maxing out at 100% all the time… Test again… if its freezing again, then drop back a setting or two. Remember that special feature settings like shadows & AA can have a higher impact than others so only change one at a time to test. Very important - do not leave LE without a realistic framerate limit - the game will attempt to max out your GPU if you do and this is bad… Your monitor can only support 60fps anyway so there is no point in setting it any higher.
  • If the problem has not stopped at the lowest settings then there is something else wrong…
  1. Make 100% sure not to run any other applications while testing LE… doesnt matter how irrelevant you think they might be… just dont run them… This includes graphical overlays and any other apps… Also… be sure to check that your system is not trying to do something in background while you are playing… sometimes a failed update or something running in background can cause the game to stutter.

2. GPU drivers… based on your comments & the lack of errors usually related to GPU drivers, this is probably not neccessary so I would leave it as a last thing to try if nothing else worked - reinstall the GPu drivers using a safe mode reinstallation or something like DDU… Normal upgrade gpu installations dont always update corrupted GPU drivers properly

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.