Game freezes after clicking Enter Game in Character Selection screen

Been playing past few days, everything fine and dandy, yesterday I shut down my PC instead of putting it to Sleep mode, started up the PC this morning, booted up the game, didn’t do anything else, didn’t download new drivers or anything, so between it working yesterday and today it not working the only thing that happened in between was the shutdown of the PC.

Boot up game, login, get to character screen, clicked Enter Game and the game was just stuck like that, decided to leave it for 10 minutes, nothing, still stuck, I can move the mouse but can’t click anything, have to use taskmanager to kill the process.

Feel like I tried most things that are suggested here and on the game’s subreddit.

List of things I tried:

• Backedup and deleted save files, let steam redownload them, didn’t do anything.
  • Restarted Steam
  • Verified game integrity files
  • Downloaded latest Nvidia drivers and did a clean install
  • Restarted the PC
  • Uninstalled the game and Re-installed it on my SSD (it was installed on the HDD previously, wanted to do that at somepoint anyway)
  • Launched game directly from the .exe instead of Steam
  • Changed graphics settings to Low.
  • Deleted character save file, disabled steam cloud saves, fired up the game, no characters, tried making a new one to test if that would work, game still freezes after cutscene.
  • Closed every possible app like Discord, Nvidia, Logitech software for my mouse, sound blaster audio app, etc.

Nothing worked or made any changes.

Logs

Player.log:

Initialize engine version: 2019.4.23f1 (3f4e01f1a5ec)
[Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path F:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch_Data/UnitySubsystems
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ID=0x1b81)
Vendor:
VRAM: 8088 MB
Driver: 31.0.15.1640
D3D11 device created for Microsoft Media Foundation video decoding.
The referenced script (WFX_LightCurves) on this Behaviour is missing!
UnityEngine.Resources:Load(String)
AbilityManager:get()
AbilityManager:EditorReset()

[ line 199]
(Filename: Line: 199)

The referenced script (WFX_LightCurves) on this Behaviour is missing!

[ line 199]

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘Point light’) is missing!

[ line 334]
(Filename: Line: 334)

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘Point light’) is missing!

[ line 334]

Shader ‘MysticArsenal/MysticHSV’: fallback shader ‘Particles/Additive’ not found
Particle system meshes will only work with exactly one (1) sub mesh
VFXManager:get()
VFXManager:EditorReset()

[ line 279]
(Filename: Line: 279)

[ line 279]

[ line 279]

[ line 279]

[Instantiation] Loaded Serializers:
PlayOneShotSound - Generated.PlayOneShotSoundSerializerGenerated
SelfDestroyer - Generated.SelfDestroyerSerializerGenerated
DestroyAfterDuration - Generated.DestroyAfterDurationSerializerGenerated
RotatesToAngle - Generated.RotatesToAngleSerializerGenerated
DetachParticleSystemsOnDeath - Generated.DetachParticleSystemsOnDeathSerializerGenerated
StartsAtTarget - Generated.StartsAtTargetSerializerGenerated
RFX1_LightCurves - Generated.RFX1_LightCurvesSerializerGenerated
StartForwardsFromCreator - Generated.StartForwardsFromCreatorSerializerGenerated
VelocityForDuration - Generated.VelocityForDurationSerializerGenerated
RFX4_Turbulence - Generated.RFX4_TurbulenceSerializerGenerated
ConstantRotation - Generated.ConstantRotationSerializerGenerated
SceneObjectIndicator - Generated.SceneObjectIndicatorSerializerGenerated
SubObjectsStretchToLocationCreatedFrom - Generated.SubObjectsStretchToLocationCreatedFromSerializerGenerated
ActivateChildAfterRandomDuration - Generated.ActivateChildAfterRandomDurationSerializerGenerated
TextureTilingOnScale - Generated.TextureTilingOnScaleSerializerGenerated
RFX4_ShaderFloatCurve - Generated.RFX4_ShaderFloatCurveSerializerGenerated
ActivateObjectsAfterDuration - Generated.ActivateObjectsAfterDurationSerializerGenerated
RepeatedlyLookAtTransform - Generated.RepeatedlyLookAtTransformSerializerGenerated
FT_LineHitPoint - Generated.FT_LineHitPointSerializerGenerated
FT_LineRender - Generated.FT_LineRenderSerializerGenerated
StartsTowardsTarget - Generated.StartsTowardsTargetSerializerGenerated
MagicalFX.FX_Rotation - Generated.FX_RotationSerializerGenerated
CreateOnDeath - Generated.CreateOnDeathSerializerGenerated
StartsAboveTarget - Generated.StartsAboveTargetSerializerGenerated
StartAwayFromTarget - Generated.StartAwayFromTargetSerializerGenerated
UnityEngine.BoxCollider - LE.Caching.CustomSerializers.BoxColliderSerializer
UnityEngine.CapsuleCollider - LE.Caching.CustomSerializers.CapsuleColliderSerializer
UnityEngine.SphereCollider - LE.Caching.CustomSerializers.SphereColliderSerializer
UnityEngine.Transform - LE.Caching.CustomSerializers.TransformSerializer

UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
LE.Caching.Serialization:GetSerializers()

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)

Initializing input.

Input initialized.

Initialized touch support.

The referenced script (MeshDecimator.Unity.DecimatedObject) on this Behaviour is missing!

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘ChatTextTagged’) is missing!

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘T1_Gloves’) is missing!

A scripted object (probably MeshDecimator.Unity.DecimatedObject?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 136 bytes)
Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?
(Filename: Line: 2337)

The referenced script (RuntimeDevMode) on this Behaviour is missing!

The referenced script (LE.Dev.DevImGUIRenderer) on this Behaviour is missing!

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘DevModeWindow’) is missing!

A scripted object (probably RuntimeDevMode?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 84 bytes)
Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?
(Filename: Line: 2337)

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘DevModeWindow’) is missing!

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘!ftraceLightmaps’) is missing!

UnloadTime: 2.565100 ms
game version: 0.8.5f
GameVersionManager:Awake()

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)

DontDestroyOnLoad only works for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.
GraphicsBackend.Options.GraphicsConfiguration:Awake()
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object, Transform, Boolean)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(T, Transform, Boolean)
UIPanel:GetInstance(Boolean)
UIBase:Awake()

[ line 606]
(Filename: Line: 606)

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘’) is missing!

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘’) is missing!

DontDestroyOnLoad only works for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.
Rewired.UI.ControlMapper.ControlMapper:Awake()

[ line 606]

IMGUI OnEnable
ImGuiNET.Unity.DearImGui:OnEnable()

Unloading 7 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 8)
UnloadTime: 4.466600 ms

Unloading 597 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 683092.
Total: 761.983900 ms (FindLiveObjects: 24.562100 ms CreateObjectMapping: 66.652800 ms MarkObjects: 669.282900 ms DeleteObjects: 1.484300 ms)

Input Mode : Mouse & Keyboard
EpochInputManager:set_IsControllerActive(Boolean)
d__54:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

[FMOD] Please add an ‘FMOD Studio Listener’ component to your a camera in the scene for correct 3D positioning of sounds.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:Update()

‘filter’ is null!
Did you add the ‘DomainManager’ to the current scene?
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
Crosstales.BWF.Manager.DomainManager:logFilterIsNull()
Crosstales.BWF.BWFManager:get_isReady()
Crosstales.BWF.BWFManager:Update()

Deactivating main camera
d__12:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

le_graphicsmanager.ini:

ConfigVersion = 3
MasterQuality = Medium
TerrainQuality = Medium
ShadowQuality = Low
HBAO Quality = Low
SetHX = Low
Reflections = Medium
ScreenSpaceReflections = Medium
GrassDensity = Off
antialiasingMode = FXAA
ColorGradingIntensity = Medium
Bloom = false
vertical Sync = Off
StreamerMode = false
LimitForegroundFPS = true
MaxForegroundFPS = 144
LimitBackgroundFPS = true
MaxBackgroundFPS = 30
SelectedMonitor = 0
ScreenMode = ExclusiveFullScreen
Resolution = 1920x1080
MemoryAllocation = 0
DetailShadows = false

Dxdiag report

DxDiag.txt (89.9 KB)

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have done most of the normal checklist of items except checking if Windows did any updates… or if there are any failed/optional updates that you need to apply.

However, the player.log is usually a much bigger file and is truncated above. Please can you attach the latest log AFTER you experience the problem but BEFORE you try and start the game again… Dont copy and paste it here, use the Upload button (it should be less than the forum size limit - if not, then just zip it.

Whatever help the debug log might have, I also see that you have set the framerate limit to 144 fps… Even at 1080p there is little chance your 1070 GPU will be able to maintain that, so LE is effectively “unrestricted” because the limit is too high as to be useful… In cases like this LE will attempt to max out your GPU and this presents as instability - usually when loading into the game, loading new maps or in known performance issue situations. As a test, I would suggest you set this to 60 on low quality by editing the le_graphicsmanager.ini file and trying again… If you dont want to edit the ini, then you can simple delete the le_graphicsmanager.ini file and the game will create a default one with a lower FPS limit that should suffice.

1 Like

Hey thanks for looking into this.

here’s the latest player.log after firing up the game, it freezing on Enter Game, waiting about 5 minutes and using taskmanager to kill it and le_Graphicsmanager.ini after deleting it to reset it.

Player.log (8.7 KB)

le_graphicsmanager.ini (483 Bytes)

Edit’

I checked windows update history, nothing new was updated between yesterday and today, latest updated happened on the 16th.

Used windowed mode to be able to use taskmanager more easily, seems like as soon as I clicked Enter Game the game went into Not Responding mode and just freezes like that.

Ok…

The log is definitely truncated so its giving info to work from.

The reset le_graphicsmanager should have no problems running.

Your dxdiag diagnostic section (at the end of the file) shows no errors (very odd even on a perfectly normal machine) - can you look at your windows View Reliability History and see if windows is recording anything problems?

Try and edit the le_graphicsmanager.ini - Change all “Medium” to “VeryLow” (without quotes). Also change
GrassDensity = Off
antialiasingMode = OFF

Have you tried the standalone version of the game that you can download from your EHG account? I.e. doesnt use Steam. https://lastepoch.com/player/account/overview

1 Like

Didn’t know about the standalone thing, downloading it now to my HDD, lets hope that will work.

Checked RM, yesterday no issues, its clean, some things shown up today, mostly about me trying to uninstall ExpressVPN because I realized while looking at taskmanager that it had services running and I thought I uninstalled it years ago and the damn thing didn’t want to leave my PC so I had to duke it out with it, hence the critical error and some info about it.

You can see around 9 AM I updated my Nvidia drivers, that’s after stumbling into the issue, so around 9AM is where i’m trying to figure out what’s going on and to fix it.

I set everything to low and turned off everything in the graphics settings, no changes.

There’s this windows update which didn’t show up in the history of windows updater, no idea what it is.

Tried the standalone game, same issue, game goes Not Responding after selecting character and clicking Enter Game.

I’m not sure what the heck could be causing this, i’m almost inclined to try using system restore, this is nuts.

Edit’

I just checked the player.log, there’s a new line compared to the steam version

Player.log (9.5 KB)

Here’s the new line at the bottom of the log:

LE.Core.MonoBehaviourSingleton1:get_Instance() Settings.SoundMixSetting:OnEnable() SettingsPanelTabUIController:Select(TabUIElement) TabUIElement:OnPointerClick(PointerEventData) System.Net.OpenWriteCompletedEventHandler:Invoke(Object, OpenWriteCompletedEventArgs) UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction1)
Rewired.Integration.UnityUI.RewiredStandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
Rewired.Integration.UnityUI.RewiredStandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32, Int32)
Rewired.Integration.UnityUI.RewiredStandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvents()
Rewired.Integration.UnityUI.RewiredStandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

[ line 606]

I did a system restore to 9:38AM this morning, after the restore I had a bunch of errors saying the system restore didn’t work and the probable cause was my Anti-Virus blocking it, asking me to disable it and try again.

I ignored the errors and didn’t try again, I thought ill just move on with my day instead of trying to find ways to fix it and thought to maybe get a flash drive stick tomorrow and just do a new clean windows install.

before that I decided to try the game again just in case it magically decides to work.

and it works.

I don’t know why or how, but it damn works now.

https://puu.sh/J7V2Z/45b99935b9.jpg

Thank you for trying to help Vapourfire, made me feel like I wasn’t on my own with this issue and that meant a lot.

Glad its working…

I dont usually go the System Restore / Windows reinstall route because you can never tell what happened so it can happen again.

That bit in the player.log is something I have seen before and generally considered normal so i am not sure if its related.

There have been a few threads here on the forum where people have given up troubleshooting and reinstalled the OS and the game worked first time but unfortunately there has been no concensus as to the cause, just that its fixed… So I can only assume the resintall removed or fixed some DLL level mix up at the OS level…

If I were you, I would personally do this and make a single system restore point to revert to if anything goes west again but the “WHY” of the problem would bug me…

Maybe its just Windows being Windows…

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.