Game crashes in character select menu

DxDiag.txt (94.7 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (487 Bytes)
Player.log (9.0 KB)
Player-prev.log (9.0 KB)

To preface, I installed this yesterday and played it all day with no issues. Today however I keep getting strange crashes. I select my character and try to enter the game and it just freezes in the char select screen. I can’t alt-f4 out of it. I can alt-tab back to windows but I am essentially locked out of doing anything there. I get my windows screen with the Last Epoch mouse cursor, but nothing in windows is clickable at all. CTRL-ALT-DEL into task manager, which comes up, but I can’t click anything on that either. My only way out of it at this point is to CTRL-ALT-DEL as it will let me sign-out, reboot, or shutdown just fine. During the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen I also get my windows cursor back. I tried selecting different characters on my character list and still the same behavior occurs.

Welcome to the forums…

From what i can see from the player.logs, is that the game is unable to intialise the game when you try and select a character and enter the game…

The logs are truncated without any further info that is expected when the game loads up a character and appropriate map location… Truncated logs usually mean the game has hanged for whatever reason rather than crashed (which is what you seem to be describing.) Hanging is typically caused by something external to the game…

From your hardware & the le_graphicsmanager.ini it doesnt look like your system should be having any graphical issues playing on the settings you are using… I’d probably drop a few of the special features like grass etc, but I have no reason to believe that you are havin the typical performance instability issues.

Your DXdiag diagnostics arent showing anything that would suggest a serious problem… You have some Microsoft Store updating issues but thats not usually related…

So… that leaves very little to work from…

Questions:

• Did an update occur on your system overnight? Please can you check your View Reliability History to see if anything changed between yesterday and today on your system… This should also allow you to see if there are any Windows level warnings or errors.

• Have you run a Steam Game File Verification process to ensure your install is ok?

• Are you running any other applications or overlays while testing LE? If you are, try disabling/not running them to see if anything changed.

• After a crash, have you clean rebooted your machine - i.e. shutdown, restart etc… Sometimes certain types of crashes can compound if you dont restart properly afterwards.

• As you are using a laptop, please can you confirm that you are in performance mode when trying to play LE… not dynamic or anything else… max performance…

Please can you check/try the above and see if anything changes… lets you get farther etc… If its still doing the same thing, please post the updated player.log - it may show something to go on…

Amazing info and thanks for the speedy reply! I did indeed have a failed windows update due to some Spotify daemon or some such. I actually hadn’t tried a full clean reboot yet, I probably should have done that straight away. No other overlays, well NVidia GeForce sort of does an overlay when I start games, but its largely invisible unless in invoke key binds to show it…Does it matter the order I reboot/verify files via steam?

Ok I just went ahead and did a clean reboot and it started up perfectly fine and no issues! Its customer service 101 to restart and see if that fixes things, should have known! Thanks again!
-Wolves

No problem - you are not the first windows 11 user that has had this exact issue recently so I thought I would check on the restarting… glad it worked.

I’d still do a quick file verification just for peace of mind…

Have fun playing…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.