Game crashed and now character gone

Hi,

I have seen the another forum post of the same issue with the solution found in the player.log file but im not sure on what files are causing the issue.

Help very much appreciated,
Thanks

Player.log (74.5 KB)

Welcome to the forum.

According to the player.log you have attached, you have a corrupted savegame: 1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_2

It needs to be deleted from the Saves folder while the game isnt running.

This should then “fix” the issue for you and allow you to create new characters and save progress on other non-corrupted saves.

EDIT: regarding the original crash. I see you are using a GTX 970 GPU. its very possible that the crash could have been caused by in-game settings. On that GPU I would recommend running Very Low quality and no higher resolution than 1080p and you should probably set the in-game framerate limit to around 50fps if you didnt drop the resolution.

Thank you for the fast response.

I guess theres no way for me to get my character back? I have done as recommended and can create new characters but theres no point while the issue persists.

If i knew that my character could potentially get randomly deleted with no fix i would have purchased this on steam so i could restore through the cloud.

I understand it has been mentioned that this issue will be fixed in a future patch but it still leaves a really bad taste in my mouth as I very much enjoyed this game but i can’t bring myself to play it while this issue occurs.

You should implore new buyers to go through steam, i wish someone told me that at the start.

Thank you for the help

No, there is no way to get the character back unless you manually made backups of your savegames.

This issue doesnt happen if the game is stable - I have 2000h and havent had a single savegame corruption (touch wood). But as with all beta games I play, I manually make backups just in case (I hate Steam Cloud) anyway - its just from experience and suffering many times in the past with countless other games.

I understand your frustration but there isnt much I can offer. The online version coming in 0.9 keeps saves on EHG servers so corruption should be less of an issue - but offline saves will remain and can still be played/created so there is always the possibility of something happening locally that can corrupt files - no game can factor in every possible cause of crashing.

I am however personally hoping (after helping out here for 2 years and seeing people lose their chars) that the devs changes with saves for the online version will help prevent / mitigate local corruption as an added side effect benefit.

Using Steam, well, it doesnt really help with corrupted files - Steam has no way of knowing a file is corrupted so it usually just syncs the corrupted one to the cloud and the problem can end up being a loop - i.e. you delete the bad file locally and steam just keeps copying it back unless you temporarily disable Cloud.

my character void knight 78 vanished too when crashed, gg… all my hard work past 3 weeks, all items gone too…

Ok… Enough now. I have replied to your separate thread. Commenting on other peoples threads like this serves no purpose and is just annoying.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.