Game crashed and character deleted

Just now my game hard froze, forcing a computer restart. Upon reentering the game I found my character had vanished without a trace. Is there anyway to get it back?

1 Like

Hi, Welcome to the forumsā€¦

All savegames are local to your machine - there are no savegames onlineā€¦ If you are using Steam with Cloud Saves enabled, then Steam keeps savegames backed up to their Cloud but EHG has no access to this.

If the game crashed while it was trying to access a particular savegame file then it is very possible that the savegame file could have become corrupted and no longer be able to read by the gameā€¦ Sometimes, when a game crashes, Steam Cloud also attempts to backup the file, but has hassles and either copies the corrupted file, or, in the case of a crash, messes up the replication process and removes the file.

If you are using Steam, you can login via a webbrowser to Steam and see whats in the remote storeā€¦ If you are lucky there might be a copy of the missing savegame.

There is also an _temp version of all savegamesā€¦ You can attempt to revert the file (rename them) and see if the older version will loadā€¦

If not, there is nothing anyone can do to helpā€¦ The savegame is gone.

FYI: On Windows, all local files are in: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games

Recommendation: I backup all savegames etc when playing ANY beta/early access games - that way the worst that can happen is I lose the last playsession of progressā€¦

Regarding crashingā€¦ The game is beta so it can and does crash.,ā€¦ Thankfully its fairly rare unless there is a specific issueā€¦ if you are experiencing regular crashing, then post your player.log, le_graphicsmanager.ini and the output of a dxdiag report (or similar if you are using Linux).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.