Game Crash [0.8.1i]

The game was open for a little over 6 hours, so that could be what caused it. It seemed random from my perspective. (Less random after relaunching and finding where it crashed; see below.)
I had just gone through the second time rift (the ancient forest) and, a little ways in, it froze for about a second and just closed. There was no error or anything. I don’t think I was doing anything other than moving.

Here’s the log; I made sure to upload it before I relaunched the game.
Player.log (1.4 MB)

After logging back in, I didn’t notice any lost progress and it even saved the progress of my map. I went to the spot I crashed at and it seems to have happened at the exact moment the “piercing roar” is heard. So, it appears to have been a loading issue, possibly due to the long playtime. I figured uploading my log might help in some way, so here we are! :grin:

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

Thanks for posting the logs… maybe the devs can see something in it…

I doubt its related to the length of time you have played… Lots of players (and streamers) play for MUCH longer than 6 hours… myself included…

You didnt provide your in-game settings or system details so I can only speculate on potential causes ( the game in its current state has stability issues that are directly related to in-game settings & hardware configs)… Some of these issues happen are very predicatable spots especially if the in-game settings allow the game to “run away” with the hardware… LE is like a stallion that needs to be held in check or it will race away with your system and throw you off… :wink:

I would suggest (if you havent done it already) that you verify your steam game files - corruption does happen when the game crashes and sometimes crashes at specific spots turn out to be fixed with the verification (sometimes you have to run it more than once to be sure).

I knew I was forgetting something! Thanks!
(I can’t find an edit post button, otherwise I’d add this to the original post…)

Here is my system info from dxdiag.
DxDiag.txt (98.9 KB)

As for my in-game settings, I uploaded screenshots on imgur:
Imgur Album

I don’t think it updated the “Master Quality” option after changing advanced settings.

You should be fine with those settings based on your system spec… Not sure LE would benefit from the extra cores of your processor but it and the 1050 ti should get you around 50-60fps at 1080p with the settings you are using. Its unlikely that the settings you are using are causing any stability issues.

The only thing I would consider testing is the Maximised window option - Try fullscreen… Not sure if it will make any difference but its easy to test… Some players have had odd things happen in Windowed modes…

The master quality setting is known to do some odd things sometimes - ideally it should change to something like “Custom” when you change something… other times it doesnt seem to update the individual settings so its best to double check manually if you do toggle it…

The most obvious thing I see from your DXdiag is that you are using the November 2019 Update of Windows… There are two major Windows 10 updates since then so its likely that something in these updates could potentially affect things - the list of changes is far too big to go through… The latest is the October 2020 Update - unless you have some critical reason for not updating, I’d suggest you make a backup of your important things and do the update…

In fact, most of the errors (end of the Dxdiag file) on your system seem to be related to Windows Setup and updating…

The only other things that I can think of that could be related would be other apps you are running at the same time or hardware related things like system temp over time…

Things like graphics overlays (Steam & nvidia etc) are known to cause odd things… Other apps - like browsers especially - can slowly eat away at system resources (e.g. ram) over time and then when LE needs it, there are problems… Best to leave those off while actively playing…

Temp issues are obvious and to be honest I doubt its the cause but I thought I would mention it… LE is known to work CPUs/GPUs - even at 60fps limits… It could just be that your old 1050 isnt staying as cool as it used to be able to. Thankfully its easy to monitor and tell pretty quickly if anything is getting a little toasty.

Everything mentioned above aside… I figure that as this doesnt seem to be a consistant problem for you - I’d probably chalk this up to the beta state of the game…

It’s funny you brought up the windows updates, actually, I’ve been in a long-fought battle with my computer trying to get it to update… Nothing I do over the past year or so seems to work and I’ve been troubleshooting it all day :sob: I was barely able to get it to 1909 last year from 1903! :sweat:

In relation to LE itself, those settings get me around 55 fps max. I should normally be able to go higher, I think, but that’s okay. It doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the game.

I haven’t had a crash since this one, so I think it was just a one-off thing; I think I’d agree with you in chalking it up to the beta state. I’m honestly not too worried about it!
Thank you! :grin:

1 Like

Re your updates… You could try something like the example here - seems like this is a manual way to get the older updates to process correctly and once they are “fixed” then the normal Windows Update should be able to kick in and update your machine…

I went to the links provided by the microsoft answer and everything is there and available so its worth a shot.

Failing that, I’d consider a re-install - in fact, personally, I would just do a new install unless I was in the middle of something and didnt have the time.

I actually didn’t see that solution through all of my troubleshooting that day. I did manage to fix it after updating my motherboard and messing with BIOS stuff, though!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.