Game Always Launching on Wrong Display (With Solution!)

While trying to play Last Epoch, every time I would launch that game, it would launch on the wrong monitor. After spending a lot of time reading, trying to resolve the issue, I finally figured it out. I am not sure how many people will have this issue, but if it even helps one person, then me taking the time to post this was worth it.

When I would load the game, regardless of the setting in Last Epoch, it would always pick the wrong monitor (I am unsure if the monitor selection in the game doesn’t work, or if it just doesn’t work with my configuration).

I was able to use WIN+SHIFT+ARROW KEY, but the problem is, when you do that in Last Epoch, it only has the original monitors specifications. For example: The monitor it kept forcing my game to launch on was a 1080p, so when I would WIN+SHIFT+ARROW KEY to my 4k monitor, the highest resolution would be 1080p, so it was important for me to launch the game on the correct monitor.

The reason I found for this was, I am technically running two graphics cards. While my secondary graphics card is more of an peripheral extender, as my 4090 is maxed out (I run 6 displays) it still counts as a ‘Display Adapter’. For whatever reason, Last Epoch would read the external graphics first, thus always forcing the game to launch on the primary monitor attached to that device.

I was unplugging the external graphics device, launching the game, then plugging it back in. Then I would go into device manager, disable the device, launch the game, then re-enable the device. I also would try not to close the game, I would just leave it running in the background when I wasn’t playing it, lol. Obviously none of these are ideal solutions.

The Solution! You need to go into your registry to resolve this.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DirectX\UserGpuPreferences

Look for Last Epoch.exe
GpuPreference=1;AutoHDREnable=2097;

Mine was ‘GpuPreference=2;AutoHDREnable=2097;’ Once I changed the GPU Preference from ‘2’ to ‘1’ my issue went away.

Hope this helps someone!

This is the USB to HDMI adapter I am using.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725K1MHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My other specs, even though I don’t feel that they have any real relevance, but you never know.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero
Processor: i9-13900KF
Memory: DDR5-5600 DDR5 Corsair Vengeance RGB
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix

2 Likes

If for some reason (like me) Metuz’s recommendation does not work for you because you cannot find LastEpoch under DirectX.

Go here instead:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch

Look for UnitySelectMonitor_h, and change that. 0 is your main display, 1 is secondary, 2 is tertiary, etc

4 Likes

This is exactly what i needed! Thank you !

Thanks, This worked for me as well…took a little playing but was able to get the game to load on the correct monitor. Kudos to getting this posted out!