Gambling in this game feels so bad

I gamble a lot, to find good craft bases.
I understand your point and it’s good that gambling/purchasing is not mandatory and is totally avoidable, though.

1 Like

My only complaint is that it’s too slow. I don’t mind the gamble chances at all.

Re-read what I’ve written in this thread and you’ll note that I never said anything about probability, because I don’t consider it relevant. So please, take the condescending nerdrage out back.

If you engage with a random system expecting a result you want after X rolls because you’re treating mathematical probability as a progress bar that you just have to fill up, the only guarantee is that you are going to end up mad/frustrated/sad/disappointed. When that happens, it will only be your fault for setting an inappropriate expectation. That is what I said in my very first reply. Anyone who has played games with random systems for any amount of time should understand that no matter what probability says, you’re gonna have bad luck.

But if anybody wants to keep pretending it’s a smart idea to work yourself up in your leisure activity because you did math and decided you’ll definitely gamble your unique after X million gold, keep on keeping on I guess? I’ll be over here not constantly getting mad and threatening to quit the game when reality doesn’t line up.

You are the one who is treating probabilistic near certainties as if they are not the expected result.

I was not expecting a result AFTER X rolls, I am expecting the result WITHIN X rolls, as in set a budget before gambling and then spend until you run out or get a hit. That can mean anything from 1 roll to X rolls. It is important when taking games of chance to set a budget. But the nonsense you are speaking about how someone may “never get it” is implying that an INFINITE budget is the only acceptable amount.

You say “no matter what probability says, you’re gonna have bad luck.” but that is just plain false - bad luck is a feature of a large number of individual random events and some of them turning out poorly. It does not apply to large sample sizes of hundreds or thousands of rolls trying to get one specific result where the effect of bad luck will be eliminated by sheer brute force.

You only expect bad luck because you ignore the instances of good or even average luck.

There is point when it comes to probability when expecting bad luck to occur is Equivelent to astronomical anomolies.

1 Like

And by doing so, I never find myself in a position in which I’m so upset that missing an expectation I’ve set of hitting a “probabilistic near certainty” makes me - checks notes - “feel like a big loser” or “not feel like playing the game at all”.

So, I mean, you can yell at me about how much I don’t understand probability, but it seems to me that I’m enjoying my leisure activity a lot more by ignoring it than other people are by obsessing over it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not upset by failing a roll: that was the other guy way back who was only asking the very simple question of what amount of gold should be enough to expect a resut - I am upset by you disparaging statistics and game theory. Two things I consider to be serious business,.

All probability is about is maths. Probability is why you don’t play the lottery, probability is also why brute forcing gambling in LE tends to work out in the long run.

1 Like

You two should get a room… :wink:

1 Like

I guess someone skipped Statistics and Probability in school.

The issues I have with the gambling system are 1) Lack of explicit odds for an item (1:10) to roll unique for its item type. If you at least had the actual odds you can calculate the risk easier. 2) Players that are using what they think is a deterministic mechanic (gamble) as a replacement for probabilistic “drop” due to bad RNG for the hunt item. One of the most often cited items is the smoke weaver dagger.

Since RNG for some is not in their favor, meanwhile, I have found multiple in the world and did not have to rely on gambling to make a build function. That is the difference. It is where an item becomes build enabling and it is expected to be used for that build is the issue. The other issue is the fear of missing out or being left behind, or why they get to have fun and I don’t (some classify that as streamer privilege).

Gambling was so bad that they removed the only purpose for it, trying to get uniques.

Not quite sure what you mean by this.

Expectation? It’s gambling; the only expectation is that you could lose your money.

And, if I am understanding your comment, even “throwing enough money at it to overcome the mechanic” requires more money to win than the payout itself thus it becomes a net loss.

So you didn’t notice the 2 dodgy looking links in the post from the brand new poster…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.