Gambler not functioning as advertised

Nothing better than a dose of hard truths.

2 Likes

It’s fine. But there is a caveat though.
Why would you put gambling in the first place then? we do agree that it’s not fun.

If it’s there people will try though, especially if equipment is advertised as ‘‘i can gamble that’’ in bold in the description.

At that point, I didn’t really play Last Epoch to learn that gambling is bad and can make you miserable.
Quite curious how this is interesting in terms of gameplay experience. Aside from internet forums wisdom lessons (:D).

I see only one problem with the gambler. The player should gambler for the UNIQUE itself he/she wants. Not the BASE for it. Gambling for a base is wrong!

How do you know you aren’t?

“Hi Artem, I’d really like to see if I can get an Eye of Reen if I may”, so he gives you a randomly generated Katana, maybe it is an Eye of Reen, but it’s probably not.

I actually think that an extra description couldnt hurt for the uniques. So i like that idea you have :slight_smile:
Then people actually know that there is a 0.8% rate of getting it or an 10% or if it is totally random. With that in mind people might not do it instead or atleast know better were they getting into without getting frustrated or less frustrated.

I know you’re just exaggerating, but if it was legitimately a 0.000001% chance to get it from gambling, your 18 million gold would have to buy each item for about 18 gold just to reach the average amount of items necessary to “guarantee” a drop. At 18 million gold, accounting for some spent on re-rolls, you’re probably at no more than 2600 attempts (and this is a high estimate because I used the 6600g per amulet I can see on my lvl 36 char). That’s a pretty low drop chance (about 0.00038%)…but have you considered the possibility you’re just unlucky?

Take the Ashen Crown for example, it took me about 400k gold to gamble. That’s about 50 attempts…the chance to get a unique (not a specific one just a unique) is said to be about 1/100, so I spent about half as much as the average necessary to get the item via gambling. I’d say the gambler is functioning quite well considering there’s almost no use for gold beyond gambling.

Seems I haven’t been clear enough with my statement.

I, too, use gambling a lot for finding craftable base items. If I had to make a guess, 80% of my BiS items come from the gambler.

But many people don’t care for the blue/yellow bases and instead gamble for uniques.

You are referring to an outside source of the game. A fan made Database gives the information “can be gambled”. This is != “only obtainable through gambling and nowhere else”.

I don’t think the devs should give information on drop rates or gamble chances.

In the past when not everything could be datamined, the players just knew things are rare or very rare or extremely rare.

Also the order in how people attempt builds is different to my own approach.

If I don’t have a build defining item, I don’t bother doing a build that 100% relies on that item. No Exang? No low life build. But I could still do a Lich build and transform into a low life build if I ever find one.

For the Ashen Crown: It doesn’t have an exclusive build enabling effect. The Nova on cursor thing is in the Nova tree as well. You can spare these points when you have the crown, but the build is possible without.

What has crafting to do with a gambling system?
In the end people seem to forget that the gambler isn’t the only or even a mandatory source for unique items. It a gold sink you can use on top of all the farming. It’s a bonus. You can extend your chances of obtaining items in addition to all the systems that rely on actively playing the game.

This doesn’t mean it has to be a reliable source of very rare items or deterministic in any kind.

Also in LE you can target farm bosses for specific items.

Random drops are forever the base motivation of loot based games.

3 Likes

So what is the drop rate meant to be for Orian’s eye, is it meant to be 0.1% or something?

Using the gambler to get common and specifically build defining uniques is a very effective strategy, one that I have employed many times particularly if you are dealing with sets. I spend roughly 300-400k on getting such a unique and it doesn’t take too long (usually 2 hours at the worst).

On the other hand if you have ultra rare uniques like Orian’s Eye which also has an expensive base I would suspect your chances are higher farming it on high level monolith runs and as a bonus it would be a lot more fun then just buying items off the gambler and refreshing all of the time.

I think in general there is a problem when the gameplay devolves to just using gambler all of the time, PoE in general has the same problem with item trading. This is something that the LE devs need to be aware of, currently the gambler is just being used as a gold sink but maybe other options should be explored as a way to sink your gold (i.e. maybe temporary bonuses that are very expensive which get lost on death?).

You want people to spend most of the time actually playing the game and not gambling (also in reality you don’t want people to gamble all the time either :laughing:)

Death Seal enters the chat

3 Likes

To be honest I didn’t realised it wasn’t part of the in game description as well because the website tooltip really does look like the in game one.
At this stage I prefer if you either don’t have the information or have most of it. But with how game are farmed and the content available those days, it’s hard to keep a bit of mystery.

I didn’t know as well :smiley:
You have to go fire nova though, but it’s a very good thing indeed.

1 Like

i cant talk about other players i only have my point of view, i play poe cause u get lucky sometimes u find exalteds, value itens, you craft itens, and i like trade that itens i am not a ssf player so maybe for now this game is not for me because kill mobs for 9999999 hours hopping u get 4x t7 is not fun that way i think should be added to gamble/craft dont mean should be easy get, 2t5 is already kinda hard (need bet in a 55% chance) so get a t6-t7 will give more instability to the item and reduce the chance but at least is a goal to play the game here u get nothing a lot of t6 you dont need when get a good base need 2 glyphs of removal and will fail. This game should not aim only 1 type of player… who like farm for days and get nothing will make the public interested very small (i mean who like this playstyle just need play in a ssf mode but dont need be mandatory to everyone)

Theres so much in this post I disagree with, I don’t even know where to start…

This numbers are just so over the top. You get valuable items in an ok amount of time. 4xt7 is only statistically possible and absolutely not a goal anybody should “aim” for if he wants to stay sane.

The whole purpose of the implementation of exalted items was to have chase items that cannot be obtained with gambling or crafting. This is the whole idea behind t6/7.

I have dozens of high level characters, some easily capable of doing empowered monos, most items aren’t even 4t5, and i can count my exalted items in use in one hand. Calling items below exalted rarity “nothing” is not only hyperbolic, its incorrect and misleading.

T6 affixed are very strong these days. I’d recommend not trying to remove every non useless stat. The better choice can be to use that exalted affix because it outweighs having a not perfect affix combination.

This game already has a lot to offer for casual players. Theres no content gated behind 24/7 grind. Everything is doable with ok time investment. Again that getting “nothing” in LE when T6/7 is not able to gamble is incorrect.

3 Likes

Tunklab was now updated. Its around 0.03%- 0.04%

For a unique version of the base? this is hilarious then, but at least it’s clear it’s a 1/3000 chance roughly. It gives perspective on the investment :’)

hahaha i would try it if i were you xD

On another thought you could just make Orian’s Eye unable to be gambled so that people don’t waste extortionate amounts of time trying to gamble it especially now that its been fixed.

It’s a matter of choice. Nobody forces us to use the gambler and nobody forces us to insist when we are unlucky. There is one only unique I try to gamble and I still haven’t been able to get it. It’s my choice and I won’t blame the devs for me. They gave me a choice, that’s exactly what I like and expected. The decision to continue wasting money there is purely mine, nobody forces me.

2 Likes

The fact that some uniques are not able to be gambled means that argument falls apart. The whole point of game design is not giving complete choice to players otherwise things devolve to chaos.

There needs to be a stronger argument than “Its a matter of choice” and actually currently from what I see, every unique which is designed to be very hard to obtain (either because its dropped from mono bosses or because its very strong) cannot be gambled. Orian’s Eye is an exception here so there needs to be a good reason why thats not just “because we can”. For example it might just be that another endgame mono boss is coming up that will drop this unique at which point Orian’s Eye will no longer be gambalable.

Kinda. The only reason for a unique to not be gambleable is because it’s dropped by a monolith boss or because the devs removed the base from the game (eg, Exsanguinous).

I understand your point of view. I still disagree: nothing forces us to continue gambling. But I understand why you could think and feel otherwise.