Frequent Crashes

Hi,

I have this issue wherein the game crashes very frequently. Just for transparency, I have a dual monitor setup wherein I play Last Epoch on my main monitor and watch youtube on the other one. The game crashes sometimes twice or thrice per zone. It’s very hard to progress with the game with this issue.

Player.log (66.0 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (519 Bytes)
DxDiag.txt (91.1 KB)

Hey there… Welcome to the forum…

I use a similar setup - one monitor to game and another to watch Netflix/Prime while I farm… so no problem there… only caveat is that you have to be aware of your system resources and adjust game settings to compensate for the fact that you are asking your system to work harder…

A quick look at your player.log shows that the game is struggling to create textures:
d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture - and then it crashes with a Direct3d error: CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface.

Looking at the diagnostic section of the dxdiag (end of the file) you will see this confirmed by Windows… the last epoch.exe is crashing on the d3d11.dll (direct3d).

These kinds of errors almost ALWAYS happen if the game settings are too high for the available system resources.

Normally your RX 5700 XT should be more than capable of handling the settings you are using but the game is in beta and is generally unoptimised AND you are running other applications that are using the same resources… so you need to be more conservative in your expectations. One key setting you are using that will definitely have an impact here is the framerate limit set to 145fps… That kind of framerate is (matching your screen) is probably unrealistic even if you were only playing the game… LE will attempt to use up as much resource as your GPU can provide and will max out a GPU if it can… This means that if it then tries to load something new / ask more of the GPU, the game will likely crash… I would monitor your GPU usage and you are likely to see it close to maxed out at 145fps limit… LE is not really a game that needs high FPS and because you are wanting to multitask, I would recommend setting this to half that… 75fps or there abouts… whatever leaves your GPU with headroom to watch your videos & leave the game with enough resource to handle busy moments. I currently set the FPS limit to where my GPU is in the 60% usage range while a character is doing nothing. This allows me to play & watch videos at the same time very stably.

it is likely that this one setting could improve the game stability…

Depending on whatever else you have going on in the background (beyond watching youtube) you may even have to consider dropping the quality settings down a notch or two… LE doesnt look that bad at very low quality - especially when you are playing and half distracted by a video too… and its very stable.

One last thing… In the diagnostic section of the dxdiag file I noticed lots of LiveKernelEvent 141 events. These are serious errors that indicate something is failing on your system… it could be hardware related - a physical device failing like bad memory etc, components like memory/cpu/gpu/components overheating, power delivery issues like your power supply or motherboard mosfets etc… It could be software related where there are conflicts on your system at a driver level or something is corrupted. I would recommend you View Reliability History on your system and see if you can find out what is causing these errors… Googling LiveKernelEvent 141 to see if any of the potential causes/resolutions work for you… This is not an error I would ignore as it could point to something wrong that needs to be corrected. Based on your crashes with LE - it could be that your GPU is overheating or having power problems when you push it hard.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.