FPS Peformance: Really Poor FPS and spikes on GeForce 1070

Hi Folks, really enjoying the game so far however I’m having some really bad FPS drops (sub 20) in low denisty screens, in high density screens it basically becomes a slide show. I’m not running aggressive settings, have capped my FPS at 60, tried both my native 1440p & 1080p with little to no difference in respective spikes and drops. Advice appreciated, thank you.

I am playing a Squirrel Beastmaster Bleed build with 10 squirrels.

DxDiag.txt (90.9 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (482 Bytes)

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

As you are most likely aware, LE is in beta and is generally unoptimised. one of the ways this presents is in minion builds where you have a lot of interactions occurring simultaneously.

An important part of this is the fact that these instances can be as much CPU bound as GPU. thats why changing graphical settings can have little impact on this.

Having faster hardware does ‘hide’ this issue but from your dxdiag i can see you are using a relatively older system so its probable you will experience this known performance problem… even on the settings you are trying.

based on my experience playing LE, i wouldn’t recommend playing at 1440p on your hardware at medium quality settings. i would drop this to very low to counter the games lack of optimization.

you have unfortunately not included your player.log files for me to check if the game is struggling or not generally but i expect its not that stable.

the dxdiag diagnostic section (end of the file) is showing that LE is hanging and that the Unity game engine is crashing ) which would possibly confirm my concern.

there is also a worrying windows error where the Desktop Windows Manager component of windows is crashing. dwm.exe. this is a core part of windows that handles windows graphical acceleration, special effects and handles monitor and other gpu interactions. obviously is a perfectly working setup, this should never happen. this could have an impact on the performance of LE.

so, things to try:

1. drop settings to very low especially if you insist on playing at 1440p

2. verify the game files if you are using steam

3. make sure that your windows is fully patched and updated and that there are no applicable updates and no failures. (19044 is the latest. you are on 19043)

4. reinstall your GPU driver using a CLEAN install (or DDU). dont do an upgrade install.

5. because of the dwm.exe errors i would recommend running windows system file checker. SFC to verify that your windows installation is ok.

6. dont run anything else while testing LE. doesnt matter how irrelevant you think they are just dont. this includes things like steam overlays (disable them)

7. make sure that your system is performing as expected… i.e fans clean, its not overheating and throttling itself. general maintenance type things. View Reliability History and check if windows is reporting issues at an os level that need to be dealt with. perhaps run some benchmarks and compare results to similar hardware.

and lastly, you could shelve builds like this that are known to be performance problems until future optimized versions of the game are released.

if nothing above helps, please be sure to include your latest player.log from when you experience the issues in your next reply.

Thanks so much for going to the time, yeah I know my system is a bit older by now I just wasn’t expecting such a drastic drop.

I’ll do all the things you have suggested, thanks so much for all the great feedback that’s really helpful. Where is the additional file you mentioned located?

No problem. Assuming there is no problem on your system impacting this, its important to remember that the drop is less about your hardware capabilities and more about the state of the game right now…

Obviously older hardware will struggle more than new, but even people on 12th gen + 3080s will notice the same drop, for them its just off a higher base and perhaps not so dramatic so its not that much of a problem… e.g. they may go from 120fps to 90fps where as you may go from 60 to 20 or less. While the devs improve performance with every patch, they have made some big updates to the upcoming 0.9 specifically around performance improvements… we just have to wait for it to be released to see how much it improves things in known situations.

The player.log and the player-prev.log should be in the same folder as the le_graphicsmanager.ini file…

Thanks so much! This has made a significant imporvement from what I can tell so far.

I did a clean reinstall of my GPU drivers as well as running SFC, and SFC did find corrupt files that it fixed. Im able to run around 60 - 70 FPS now with spikes dropping down to 40 FPS rather than sub 20 so its enjoyable to play again even with the current minion build =).

Really appreciate the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.