FPS drops but CPU/GPU usage remains low

I play on high settings usually and the game runs just fine for me, maxing out my 75hz monitor while in town and running monolith. However, there are a lot of times while moving through a map (not even encountering mobs) that the fps will drop into the 30’s or lower while my cpu usage never breaks 30% and my gpu usage never goes above 55%. Are there any settings I can try that might push the game to make full use of my hardware and smooth out the experience for me?

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
RAM - 32GB / 3200mhz

Ignoring the obvious FPS drops from skills (screen full of lightning bolts or poison pools) and lots of mobs/minions, there are lots of places in the game where FPS drops happen… Certain maps (like the moving water cliff backgrounds) cause things like this…

The game does this for everyone - even people with higher spec systems than yours. The only difference is that the higher specs drop from 100+ to 70fps so its less “annoying”… You could probably try min/maxing specific game graphics features to see which one is causing the most (wildest) variation in FPS on your specific setup and work from there to minimise it on your system.

BUT.

Honestly, IMHO, this is probably game optimisation and if it is, then there is little you could probably do… Thankfully the devs are improving things with each patch and we just need to stick with it for now.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response. Glad to know it’s not just me. I’ll dive into some settings and hope for the best but I think your comment about waiting for more game optimization will likely be the answer.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.