Forging range abit too high?

“At low levels, I much preferred the old system. Some people in this thread have called it overpowered, but I think that was a good thing.”

Not really much difference when leveling since even when you found an item that you could upgrade to OP status you still got blocked by Character Level.

1 Like

Thats why I made the suggestion I did. If the goal is to balance the ability to remove the randomness with a penalty equally as stiff, then receiving 0 shards in return for an affix you remove (which could be quite weighty depending on rarity of the shard) should be a fair trade-off for all, which actually solves both “reward” scenarios at once. (At least based on McMuffin’s assessment that pointed out why the Rune of Removal has the FP negative to begin with.) Im even fine with it having a certain determined FP cost on top of the 0 shard return. That would certainly feed the “risk vs. reward” that some people are looking for.

It just feels that way. You aren’t supposed to be trying to slam 6 affix upgrades with just the glyph of hope. You shouldn’t expect that to work. I would say on the extreme case, you might be able to get 8 upgrades averaging 5FP per upgrade with the Glyph of Hope triggering twice. That sounds exceedingly rare. That is taking 2 T1 affixes up to T5 without you putting on the affixes yourself.

It could be tuned down slightly from there, or increase the proc of Hope but slightly increase (or decrease, however it is proper to say it) the FP cost with said procs. (for the risk vs reward crowd.)

Maybe your expectations are just too high.

Maybe so. However, based on all the Language the Devs put out, I dont see it that way. I am only speaking to their intent vs what we have. I think the reason a lot of people disagree with those that dont like the changes is because there is inherently more “risk” vs. reward; Ive had people say to me “Havent you played [the other game]??? Try that crafting and get back to me!” Well, I didnt buy LE to play [the other game]. I bought LE to play LE, and their vision for crafting is what I paid for, and what we have currently isnt it. (Hence them closely watching this thread, not just for bug hunting but Valued Feedback.) If what I said above were not the case in any stretch, either they would have explicitly said so or not have even said that much to begin with. Therefore, my expectations remain somewhat elevated, until it is explicitly lowered otherwise.

SPOT ON ASSESSMENT.

2 Likes

This right here. I hope LE Devs are listening…

1 Like

This is NOT how it works. The higher FP costs have a lower chance to roll than the lower FP costs. They haven’t released the specifics of the numbers and have said that they don’t plan to. Rolling the 10FP cost on that is basically the critical failure, except now, it doesn’t break your item.

1 Like

Right, and if not for the RNG, then the items would need to cap out significantly weaker or crafting would just be removed due to obsolescence. The RNG allows there to be a higher top end. That is the balance.

4 Likes

Some people can’t understand that, it’s a core feature of ARPGs, and there are multiple reasons why.

LE’s current crafting system is both exciting and reasonnably deterministic, it still needs a bit of tuning imo on lower and medium items imo, but endgame crafting is extremely strong right now, also, at some point players could also start to forget their “lemme T16+ that white base i’ve bought to Gambler please !!!” gimmick, that was never meant to survive til commercial release.

No i won’t stay tuned, sorry, it’s a casual debate i’ve seen on the internet too many times, if you don’t like that system you should play some kind of casual MMORPGs, not ARPGs.

There is a balance. In PoE, it is too hard to get the end game gear so a lot of players just don’t bother. There is a term called Playing PoB. For those that don’t know, that is a character planner for PoE. People will just plan their character out completely, and then just never actually play the real game.

There are also people that might have downloaded item editors for games like Grim Dawn because they didn’t want to do the grind ‘wink’. Turns out, when there is no longer anything to work towards, the motivation to play at all goes away.

I think LE hits a really good balance of making you have to work for good gear but also not putting it out of reach of the semi-casual gamer like myself. It’s been just over 3 days since the patch. I think people should really give it more time before complaining about the “difficulty” of the crafting system. It comes off like they don’t want to actually play the game.

1 Like

The items I tried to craft unsuccessfully were all magics, found this patch mid story, with one or two interesting affixes.
I tried to craft them the way I used to in the old system, just hoping to get some t2 everywhere, maybe a t3 before hitting the level cap or the forging potential cap.

Just to be clear, I’m not complaining about the higher ends of the new system, I’ve yet to test it. My whole point was that I feel my previous way of crafting is not working anymore, as if my items almost instantly fractured.

I see people asking those unfamiliar with the new system to try the new runes, so I will, perhaps it’s the way. I’ll write about my experiments with those runes.

I also see people asking to disregard other people’s feedback and I have no word. We’re here to tell our experiences and feelings about the game, why would one’s voice be irrelevant?

2 Likes

I think it is actually harder to craft the item that I want now. I like to make my eq out of common eq if I don’t have good eq in the stash. Common items are useless now since they will have low FP to start with. It will be a better crafting system that either has a lower range of FP consumption or rewards you some FP back when you make the item from common to magic and then rare. I really think that makes sense since you change the item status.

1 Like

Yes, that is precisely the point, IMO it also kinda sucks 'cause it was a lot easier finding a blue item with 2 affixes you want on a base you want than a yellow with 3-4 affixes on a base you want.

2 Likes

I’ve restarted completely, so only using new drops.
So far i’ve found that the system up to Exalted items is working perfectly: rare items are much more desirable, obtaining good gear via crafting is much more fun and more predictable than with the previous system. Getting Glyph of Hope procs is incredibly satisfying.

Exalted items still seem bugged in terms of FP. Yesterday i hit an exalted Bow node for example, all drops were hovering between 17 and 25 FP, while some rares were dropping with 30+.

Another minor issue i’ve found that is while in the crafting menu it seems when you swap affixes the tooltip preview for cost and ranges doesn’t seem to update, and still shows the previous affix.

After playing the new patch I can safely say:

crafting in the lower range was nerfed substantially
crafting in the mid tier range is about the same
crafting in the high tier range got dramatically buffed

But the issue is theres way more RNG than before, they traded consistent crafting with shatters to this new system which will hurt 75% of players more than it helps them

The issue is normal crafting revolves around Hope glyph procs, if you can proc Hope a few times you can craft all the way to max. I made a T20 ring with potentially still left as Hope kept proccing

Chaos glyphs also means you can pick up a chest piece with T4/4 resistances and flip them to T5 Health/% and immediately have a really strong chest and with Chaos you are rewarded for knowing what affixes can roll.

IE Belt suffixes are all defensive so if you find a belt with poison/necrotic but dont need it you can use 2 discovery to say try and get minion dmg/health (for free as it wont use potential) then try and Chaos the resists to HP as theres 3 HP rolls, if it goes well you turn a piece of shit into a 4 stat belt

2 Likes

Not sure what you’re basing that on, tbh.
The opportunity cost is way lower, the difference is now you’re looking for rare items with potential. It’s also become way easier to transform semi-decent items into very decent ones.

I would rather say that the general ceiling of crafting potential has been raised significantly, while shifting the RNG mostly away from procs in the process and more towards finding optimal bases to work with. This is, imo, a pretty good sweet spot.

I have no clue why this system would hurt 75% of players.

2 Likes

Hitting -20 FP is basically a fracture, however I agree with your point. The game can’t just have “no consequence” crafting.

3 Likes

Crafting every item “till the end” is a huge buff for leveling…

If i NEEDED the item to play i couldnt risk the last 1-2 crafts in the old system because a damaging fracture would have be a desaster. Now i craft everything i wear till “o” without any worry.

2 Likes

Exactly this. It’s a massive buff to both the accessibility and intuitiveness of the crafting system on the lower end, and a higher ceiling at the upper end.

Has anyone tried Crafting with the hotfix pushed out? I havent had time to test it as of yet.

1 Like

Did you use Glyph of Hope or not?