First Harbinger - slight issue

My build does fire damage and - that’s about it…

I left the 90 fire bosses til last (on the logic they’re the hardest) - which means they trigger the first Harbinger who is - erm - yeah - very resistant to fire!

Combining the need to learn his attacks (which are easy 1-shots despite my having decent defenses) with having to defeat the 3 fire bosses ahead of him is painful and I’m at the point of quitting tbh

I don’t mind a bit of challenge but this is 4/5 times harder than anything else I’ve encountered - my gear is decent considering I’m not yet into empowered monos - it’s a bit frustrating and - frankly - zero fun

Is there a way to force the Harbinger into one of the other 90 bossfights - would doing this on an alt remove this boss for this character - did anyone at EHG think about any of this before throwing it out???

It’s ironic - I normally get to empowered monos before getting bored so 1.1 just makes my quitpoint a BIT earlier but this seems to be a bit of poor design???

2 Likes

You have an option to disable the harbinger for the mono boss fight. So if you turn it off, I assume you can then go to one of the other monos and summon one of those instead.
However, each harbinger requires higher corruption, so in general it’s a good idea to do the hardest ones first.

Maybe if you share your build someone can help you improve it?

It would. Harbingers advance account wide. Meaning you can kill a few with one alt, and a few with another, and both advance the global progression. You just need to trigger one for each monolith.

As a sidenote, you can also do the 3 top harbingers at level 90 if you do each with a different alt that hasn’t yet “joined” the Forgotten Knights faction. Don’t know how long that will last until they fix it, though.

It was actually quite well thought, as my replies above show. And you also don’t have to do the harbingers at all. You can just do the mono bosses themselves and completely ignore the harbingers. Just uncheck the harbinger option before fighting a mono boss.

This is the first Harbinger I’ve encountered on this account - AFAIK you cannot disable that as it’s required to progress into Empowered Monos…

It’s basically another gate alongside the 3x90 bosses???

1 Like

As I said, I haven’t tested that in a new alt, since I always want to do the harbingers. But when you click on the boss quest, you should have a checkbox appear below that allows you not to fight the harbinger.

As far as I know, harbingers aren’t related to empowered mono advancement other than acting as a shortcut. But they might have changed that.

Either way, you can do that harbinger on any alt and then it shouldn’t spawn on that character anymore.

As I’ve already said, YOU CANNOT SKIP THE FIRST HARBINGER - that option isn’t available until you’ve killed the first one.

It seems you get a Harbinger after the 3rd Level 90 boss (e.g. the last one to unlock Empowered Monos) and that Harbinger remains there until you defeat it

Doing other Level 90 bosses doesn’t move the Harbinger over to them - you have to repeat the 3rd boss and then kill the Harbinger to proceed

Harbingers “inherit” abilities and traits from the boss they follow so if you - as I have - choose the hardest boss to run 3rd, you are slightly screwed…

Hey ho - I was getting bored anyway - if this is typical “cycle content” I’ll back in 2 years when it’s worth a look again

1 Like

Or you could try:

Unless you defeat that harbinger with an alt, then you should be fine.

Easiest would really be posting your build so people can tell you ways to improve it so you can defeat that boss.

I’m bored of the “post your build” BS - as-if every problem is a build problem - the game should work without people using the most optimised builds AND…

The Harbinger is quite a bit tougher than the other Level 90 bosses - f my build were easily able to deal with it, the rest of the game would be trivial and that’s a problem in itself (1.0 all over again!?)

My question therefore was “I’ve been forced into taking on a Harbinger which is hard for my build - can I get around this” but it seems I can’t (without rerolling or rebuilding and I’m doing neither of those)

Hey ho - short cycle for me (and lots of other people it seems) - moving on…

Every build can reach 300c, so if you can’t, yes, it’s a build problem.
You don’t have to use a fully optimized build, but if your build isn’t, then you can’t be surprised that the endgame content isn’t easy for you to do.

It is, but not harder that 100c mono bosses.

That is your choice. If you’re not willing to improve your build you’ll always hit a wall. That is the case in any ARPG, even D3.

Harby gains abilities of the previous boss, ie. the necrotic aoe, spiral fireball and some other stuff, plus they use their own skillset. But Bosses from Spirits of Fire don’t have any extra resistances, and ofc Harby doesn’t get any either :joy:
Harby is simply a bit tankier than your usual monolith boss.

And yes, not being able to beat the first Harby is in fact a build issue.

I checked, and it’s as usual, it’s a total glass cannon build.

• 1600 health
  • leech while channeling
  • 50-60 ward per second
  • Mitigation doesn’t exist … 10% DR from armor…
  • Ward coming from Runic, Flame Rush and Flame Ward, but that probably doesn’t amount to much.

Static builds need more sustain than builds that jump all over the place, and every build needs mitigation, otherwise you get 1-2 shot by bosses.

PS: you really need to find new boots with the Movement Speed affix. You need it to be able to avoid the bigger aoe skills from bosses.

2 Likes

The 3 shamans are NOTABLY tougher than - say - Heorot, at least in terms of the speed I can burn them down - and having to repeatedly do that gets old pretty quickly. (esp as you don’t even get loot - you could at least get loot!!)

They could be tougher for many reasons, who knows , but there’s a trap here and I walked into it (and a quick Google shows I’m not alone in finding this)

Lastly, the idea that every problem comes down to “your build” is some serious copium - I’ve spent a decade in PoE and that’s WAY more copium than I’m used to :slight_smile:

I can tell you one thing. If the current way of spawning the first Harby is poor, you should absolutely give feedback about it. However, don’t expect that giving feedback will magically spawn some kind of solution to your problem. This is one of those cases.

There are problems that cannot be solved with “your build”, and there are problems that can. We who preach the “your build” method try to offer you a solution, which can be used RIGHT NOW in the current game, and which will allow you to continue playing.

Not really sure why it’s a problem for you.

1 Like

It’s a problem because it has NOTHING to do with my question.

I asked if it was possible to defeat a different Harbinger because the boss I was stuck-with was a pain for my build (and I have to beat it over and over to pracrtive the Harb)

I shouldn’t have to change my build to get around that - esp as it’s not warned or explained AT ALL

I’ve since discovered engaging further Harbingers has a similar issue - if you don’t untick the Harbinger box and take-on the boss you CANNOT then disable the Harbinger - so if you kill the boss and not the Harbinger - tough luck you’re going to have to keep doing that to get loot/Blessings etc. - brilliant design - I’m REALLY over this now…

ALSO - I’m bored of the “post your build so we can blame you for the game’s issues” bs in general - people need to stop with that UNLESS you think we should all play 1 perfect build - that would be fun eh?

Have you tried asking somebody for help? Lots of people in chat will be willing to assist you with your first harbinger kill.

Geez, you’re really mad, because no one ever suggested that, even slightly…
They were all like “can we see your build so we can HELP with your issue?”

If people wanted to blame you, they would just look up your profile in Last Epoch Tools and make fun of you, because anyone can do that…
They didn’t though… they ASKED for YOU to SHARE your build. That’s really far from what you described.

And I honestly don’t know how that can be so offensive and boring to any reasonable human being…

You somehow imagined the boss has higher fire resistance than normal as an excuse/explanation for you not being able to do it because of a very flawed build.

I can only assume you got mad for being stuck at Harbinger fight (by choice, at this point) and is now trying to throw it off at whoever crosses your path.

You don’t have to change your build. Nobody is telling you to swap skills or even classes after all. We only offered help with your current build.

However, YOU decided you don’t want help, that’s fine. It’s now YOUR problem to fix. YOU need to git gud at MAKING and PLAYING your current build :wink:

2 Likes

I have the same problem and came on this thread. Also quitting - too painful doing that last boss’s mechanics again, it was annoying enough to get the boss itself.

Seems not many people understand that “change my build” means adjust the build he’s playing - he clearly didn’t mean change to another build.

Some of us casuals just follow a guide, so changing it should not be necessary - we want to play the build we’ve been following.

As I say, I’m quitting, have other games to try, so I won’t be checking back for replies.

I have to write a thesis on this… ROFL
Is it only me or it really is funny how people think they need to advertise they’re leaving, almost always as their first post in this forum?

I tried, but really cannot find any meaning in doing this.

Well, some are clearly just attention seeking and throwing a tantrum. Those are the ones that don’t actually provide any feedback, just “I’m butthurt so I’m leaving” and want the world to know, so they feel better and validated.
Not all are like that, though. Some do leave positive feedback when doing so, though I still think there’s no need for the leaving announcement.

In the words of the bard Mötley Crüe:
Girl, don’t go away mad.
Gitl, just go away.

:joy:

1 Like