Feedback on Looting Crafting Items

Moving some posts from a largely unrelated thread so they can be more prominent, and the previous thread can remain on-topic. :broom:

1 Like

Loot filter is very useful, but it is missing certain features to make it even better.

1:Affix is currently working if you hit ANY of the affixes, I would like an option for how many affixes are needed for a rule to apply, noted as “x out of” (eg. Show boots with 2 out of 10 affixes)

2:Recolor has very few options for the color choice, I would like more

3:Loot beam option, so that the insta-pickups are made more obvious(I assume loot beam results in automatically showing up on map)

4:Alternate drop sounds, when every item sounds the same on drop it makes it hard to tell which are important.

3 Likes

Your No.1 was already requested nomerous times on different threads. I personally made a thread with that and other suggestions and Mox did said they will work on it.
It might be just a matter of time.

Thread was inactive for months and is currently locked, so had to make a new one.

Another thing that would be great in there is to be able to weed out items based on their intrinsic stats. For example, I don’t want to see silver rings with only 3% increased movement. I’d love to be able to just see the ones with 8% for crafting. Same thing goes for pretty near any gear that you’re looking for to craft endgame. Not going to try to go for T20 crafts on an item that doesn’t have at least a near perfect roll on the intrinsics.

2 Likes

Also give us options for rune highlighting/recoloring–specifically runes of Shattering!

It would be better to make pick up runes and affixes automatic like gold. Also I fail to see any need for store “crafting items button”, which only function is to remove affixes from inventory to “forge”. Why can’t it be done without button? It just adds unnecessary complexity to inventory management and takes attention from main gameplay

As I understand it, the view is that if shards/runes automatically get picked up & then go into an invisible storage, the player wouldn’t know or care about them. And in a loot-based game, not caring about loot is a bad thing (and shards/runes are a type of loot).

But this isn’t the first time that someone’s raised this request & that’s why they made all runes/shards get hoovered up when you pick up one of them.

And this isn’t a loot filter thing…

A single time i forged weapon was in a middle of campaign out of curiosity, just to look if my forged weapon will be any better than i can get from drops. And it wasn’t, after that my urge to craft something became nonexistent.
Why waste my time when i can equip even better unique and set items? To craft blue or yellow item which drops from almost every single enemy?

In my opinion it is questionable decision to stimulate player to use useless mechanic by making player manually pickup affixes, then go into inventory and click on special button to store them.

For forging to be viable option to spend players time on it, devs should add unique affixes which would let player craft unusual weapons/armor, that would have abilities on par or even better than unique and set items you can find from loot.

Look at GD devotion system for example, i feel way more motivated to spend my time looking for shrines all over the map just to be able to unlock unique abilities from devotion. And then look at how people even ask to add filter to affixes, which means people don’t want to even see some of them if any when playing loot oriented LE.

I don’t think you can really take a single instance of not (in your opinion) being able to craft a better weapon than a unique/set then brand the entire system as a failure. Most of the time crafted gear is better than uniques/sets with some specific exceptions & these tend to be niche or build-specific. For example, if you’re doing a melee-ignite build then Eye of Reen is going to be best in slot, but if you’re not then crafted weapons can be very good. If you’re doing a low-life build then the Exsanguinous chest & Last Steps of the Living boots are very good but if you’re not any random crafted chest/boots will be better. Infact, given the class-specific affixes, crafted chests & helms can be excellent.

Also, this has nothing to do with improving the loot filter.

Crafting is absolutely worth it, you’ve just not tried it much at all.

Yes, I’d like to see something like the GD Devotion system, but again, this has nothing to do with the loot filter.

as you said crafting can be usefull only when you go for specific build, and even though i tried it only once in LE doesn’t mean that i never tried crafting in games like D2/D3/GD/POE and can’t make some deductions and comparisons.
Have you ever seen a player that used chipped gems for crafting in D2/D3? Most people doesn’t even bother with gems when playing campaign for the 1st time. Chipped/flawed and other low tier gems only used to craft best possible gems and those used only when item drops start to lag behind increasing difficulty modes, also if player finds some unique/legendary/set item that has stats corresponding to difficulty they will immediately switch any crafted item for unique abilities that can’t be crafted. Try to google best builds for D3 for example and see if there any crafted items in those builds.
In GD for example after some tries and errors (i play it since preordered version became available) craft system from simple gem to socket transformed into blacksmith with craftable uniques/relics and even craftable components which transformed from simple +any stat to +++stats and some ability.
Forge in LE is the most primitive and backward version of craft systems in games of the same gameplay theme. LE would be better without it if devs don’t want to add more depth into this craft system.

You misunderstood what I wrote. Crafting is always useful, uniques/sets are niche/build-specific.

It “may be” useful in the future when there will be multiplayer and insane difficulty, right now it useless and boring and anyone can beat campaign without crafting. And that is why i said that either devs should make affixes picked up same way as gold and sent into forge inventory without bothering player to manually pick up them and then click button in inventory every couple of minutes.
But if you claim:

Then devs should make their craft system worth players attention throughout whole game without annoying player with useless routine.

Clicking once to pick up all affixes around you is pretty much a lazy system already. I really can’t understand players who don’t even want to do that now. I have read many conversations about how players find this activity to be pointless but it actually beings up interesting conversation about how much automation you should have in video games for it to be healthy experience. ARPGs foundation is the “looting experience” ; engaging with the rewards on the ground not turning your character into a loot vacuum. It’s one of those things where players might think they want it but in the end it just promotes less engagement and less rewarding experience looting. When it comes to automation is a more complicated discussion from a design point of view then that players realize.

1 Like

Maybe they’re used to playing those paragons of (aRPG) depth & engagement - AFK games!

It is not about automation as a whole, what i want to fix is 1 particular thing that doesn’t hold any importance in LE gameplay.

it would be true if you said it about D1/D2 or RE2 for example where player has to actually manage loot because of small inventory space, choosing which item to pick up and which item to leave on the ground. But in LE you are a “loot vacuum”, there is no need to choose which affixes you pick up, this decreases value of those affixes and removes feeling of getting reward. Instead devs make useless complications to it as if it would add some depth to this.
With your logic there is a need to make even gold picked up manually with a click per batch of gold on the ground and then those batches should go into inventory slots after player would press “i” and click on “store gold into pockets” button.
Good luck with such interesting gameplay

1 Like

My argument was it does hold importance in the game if you read what I said.

I have seen players compare affixes shards to gold and potions and I find the fact that this comparison gets brought up is part of the problem I pointed out. Affixes are items with unique properties, unlike gold and potions.

Currently I find the affix system and putting into forge already pretty much as mindless as you can get with loot, with little engagement to the point I am automatically click the transfer button after every monolith run. The system we have right now we turn these small items you pick up and it’s visually converted to a list which goes more and more away from being objects. I am barely cognitive of what I am actually picking up and transferring, I don’t think this is a good thing. I dislike this system and I wish there was more engagement this aspect of the game, not less.

well

you’d understand that i dislike this system too and in my replies i told many times already that devs should remove this crafting system or simlify picking up affixes to the point where it won’t even bother people like you and me who find it unnecessary addition to otherwise good ARPG. Or devs could always look at GD/POE/D3 and actually try making their forging system to be worth players attention.

I find GDs crafting near perfect for those type of games which is complicated enough and rewarding enough for players to actually spend lots of time to decide what they want to craft, to grind components and to look out for blueprints.