Feedback about my melee necro micro-zoo

Hello there,

Starting the game a few monthes ago, I’ve target a canon-glass crit melee phy zoo. Here was the plan: Build Guides, Tierlists, Planner, News for Last Epoch - maxroll.gg.

But:

1. I find out Abomination to be not the effective without “Age of Undeath” (remove decay)
  2. I started to max skeleton (8) to invoke BIG abomination and then stay at 5. But invocation process is a bit long and finally cost skill/passive points without being very effective.
  3. Phy dmg doesn’t scale well in this game, at least for minions. Item/passive are mostly general damage or “magic” ones.

So, I sacrified some minions and finally move to necro dmg: Build Guides, Tierlists, Planner, News for Last Epoch - maxroll.gg

Here are some explanations:

• All my defense comes from ward:
    • “Rip Blood” gives a lot of ward!
    • As Wraith can’t move, I spam also a lot
    • I try to get some retention/per second/treshold to avoid loosing too much, too quickly
  • Golem (and abomination) serves mostly as tank
  • Skeleton mages are converted to knight to get some bonus from melee.
  • Both previous mentioned minions are also good to farm as they have decent damages (thank to their number) and spread over the map.
  • Wraith are my most damage sources (at least for elites/bosses).
  • “Rip Blood” is a full support skill, as providing ward, it also fill up mana in order to “spam” Wraith summoning.
  • As unique farming is a little (very?) random, I haven’t included them in my plan at the moment. Just trying some when I encountered interesting ones (Apogee of the Frozen Light, Death Rattle, Transient Rest - links removed due to stupid limit…)

Currently at level 86, I can little bit farm Empowered monoliths… as long as I dodge those damn random AoE from Echoes. And as I’m often casting (Rip Blood/Wraith), there are still a 0.5-1s where I’m very static. And avoid quest ones… at least the second one.
Because if I’m touched, I will surely one(or two)-shotted with 1k HP and 2k ward with “maxed” all resist.

Today, I started to get back to normal monoliths, but increasing their corruption. I’m still farming easily at the moment.

Here where I am: https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/planner/qaem704s
(note: I just updated some pieces today, and haven’t rebalanced my idol settings)

Here are my worries:

• As I have no comparison point (first character, first build), I’m wondering if I need to stop focusing on damage, and more on sustain (myself first) but also minion as their life are dropping fast in empowered monolithes. Or just wait I reach level 100.
  • Should I start looking closer to unique and try to farm some? I have no idea of which ones can be effective in my case. They still provide something I’m not interested in (sacrifice level up, release stack on melee attack, …). More as they don’t have Legendary Potential, I need to loose some affixes.
  • I’m wondering if I can get better from skeleton/abomination. After weeks, I feel their are just cannon fodder, and I’m loosing opportunities (skill/passive points) that can make me more effective

Any comment is welcomed!

Defense is very important and it seems like you don’t have a lot of it. Also, ward per second and ward threshold are mostly useless.

I would look into builds on lastepochtools.com. They’re usually a lot better than maxroll’s. Just check some minion builds similar to yours (there’s even a lazy build that has only minions) and try to see what they do differently.

But I’m sure the community will give you specific advice over here pretty soon.

Basically, if you’re not using the low life gear, you should focus on life instead, since Rip Blood doesn’t give you that much ward.
And if you want to use a non-minion skill, you’re better off with using Shade rather than Rip Blood.

If you want to use fire or cold instead, you can have pretty much all minions do that damage type, so they all synergize.

1 Like

They both highly reduce ward decay. As ward decay formula is exponential based on current value, threshold. Per second may help compensate, but when there’ are no better affix/implicit, I opt in.

1. I find out armor not being so important. I tried to focus it but haven’t observed any sustain improvement
  2. unfortunelaty, they capped resist at 75% I tried to be a little higher in case of penetration.
  3. Just leave health… I don’t know how much I can expect by trading whole wards… I think I up to 1,2k HP. Which is ridiculous againt 1k HP + 1.5-2k ward. Need to focus more HP/vit through item/passive

I will take a look at them. Thank you!

Rip Blood also serve as high mana source. But may be I also should trade wraith? But they do so much dmg, at least compare to other minions. And not sure shades give me more sustains?

Even if fire is relatively common, it doesn’t scale as necrotic. But may provide additional effects? I need to study whole skill trees :sweat_smile:

They’re not as impactful as ward decay/ward retention, though.

Armor is pretty important, both for health and ward builds, since it applies to both.

Unlike most games, resistances aren’t as important to cap. You can easily get away having 65-75% and not miss out that much. This is because area level reduces your resistances, so that you are effectively working with a base of 0% resistance. That means that 1% resistance directly translates to 1% less/more damage taken.

Simply focusing on health affixes you can easily get to 2.5k-3.5k. And if you go pure health, endurance will also apply to your defenses.
Ward is currently stronger than health (for a few more weeks anyway, before being nerfed in 1.1), but only if you actually invest into it. That means you need the low life gear and something to increase your ward. And invest heavily into ward decay/retention.

You can use life drain for mana sustain. It’s what the fire wraiths build uses.

Outside of Wraithlord build (which is kinda broken and will probably be nerfed in 1.1), fire wraiths turrets is one of the strongest necro builds. Look into it. It’s pretty strong and quite fun (if you like that playstyle).
There’s also the lazy minion army necro build that’s all fire as well. It’s not as strong, but every single skill you use is minions.
You should be able to find both builds on lastepochtools.

But the most important is just to check those builds to see how they build defenses and then have fun with your own setup.
These videos should help you out as well:

2 Likes

I am not able to look at your build on maxroll but if you import your build on LETools then I can give more thoughts on your build. Here’s a link to Boardman21’s Melee/Damned Build that seems close to what you are going for based on what I read:

DAMNED NECROTIC MELEE MINIONS BUILD PLANNER

Remember that maxed reistances means you take no bonus/extra damage of that type. This along with decent armor which is 70% effective on non physical attacks is going to be you first defensive layer. You’re going to need more HP for when you get hit by DoTs that armor has no mitgation against.

For empowered monoliths you’ll want atleast 2k HP and 60% Endurance with as much armor you can get since you aren’t doing LL which can get away with not having armor (though its not ideal.)

Also, make sure you have your crit avoidance or reduced crit damage capped. I would opt for the latter as it increases armor significantly.

Warlock is the mastery that excels at ward gen where LL is not neccesary.
For Necromancers, this isn’t going to be viable IME unless you are running a sacrifice build. At higher levels of corruption I have around 11k stable ward using a LL setup and will take hits from 5k-8k damage often and with around 212 Ward per second (Boneclamour + One Foot In The Grave) it takes about a 37 seconds to recover 8k ward assuming I don’t get hit by anything else.

With your current setup you are going to hit a wall in empowered monos soon.

One last thing, Abomination generally works much better as a solo minion where all your minions are powering them up. If you want a tank then I would recommend using the Revenant to free up a skill slot where you could get zombies to get further ward gen.

EDIT: IIRC many Abom Builds use Age of Undeath to mitigate the Abom’s life decay but that means you can only have 5 minions which x5 Mages/Death Knights makes the most sense.

2 Likes

What do you mean by this? I click on his link and I can see all the stuff. There’s equipment with idols and blessings and then tabs for passives/skills.
It’s easier on https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/, but you can see everything on maxroll as well.

Must be an issue on my end. The build just wont load when I use the link.

Here is my ward-based build: https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/AvRpNqNA (most defensive approach, so not exactly same as previously linked one)

I can’t share where I was, as I have started to convert into health-based: https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/AK6VkXno

And the new health-based one: https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/A1rq8bEQ

Thank you! I will take a look at it.

After yesterday discussion, I take a new look at armor definition. Until now, I had understood the opposite: -70% effective on non-phy damage :sweat_smile: I should now reconsider armor!

LL = Life Leech?

Not sure about LL meaning, or relationship with ward :thinking:
I think I’m far over 200 ward/s with Rip Blood + Wisp Weaver, but never tried to measure it! Boneclamour looks like a good way to take used of all those necro resist taken from passives. I’m often over 200%

As stated, I already have hit the wall :sweat_smile: But as I’m neither nicely stuffed, or level 100, I don’t really if it is normal as its state (level 86, just finishing completing normal monoliths).

I’m seriously considering replacing, may be skeleton warriors with bone armor :thinking: I will try it.

LL = Low life. It’s a type of build where you use exsanguinous, last steps of the living and the experimental affix on gloves (preferably as a slammed affix on frostbite shackles). Using only those 3 items you can generally keep a stable 10k+ ward.

1 Like

Physical damage scales fine, there’s a few places you can get physical damage increased exclusively, and Bone Curse can shred armor like crazy and buff physical damage too. Maybe your Physical build sucked because you weren’t using Bone Curse.

I use:

Summon BIG Skeltons…I have 9, divide by 2 and round up is 5. 4 rogues and 1 warrior
Permanent Abomination, it eats the 4 rogues, 1 warrior, and 4 mages (necro passive increase skeleton mage by +1)
2 Pernanent Wraiths
3 Skeleton Vanguards, from Bone Curse
1 “Permanent” Ethereal Revenant (lasts 2 to 3 minutes maybe, but is resummoned whenever I cast Transplant or even Bone Curse)

For 12 total permanent minions, it’ll be 13 if I find that crab ring :stuck_out_tongue:

Then Transplant is my last skill (mages aren’t specced or kept on bar, only to summon Abomination).

Exsanguinous + Last Steps of the Living make you very tanky, Ribbons of Blood is very good for minions, and Xithara’s Conundrum is good if you can find one with 2 or 3 LP. I have 4 legendaries, and it’ll be 5 when I find that crab ring, heh.

Minions are pretty tanky and virtually never die. I have 5946 ward when idle (and 1 HP, a la Xithara’s Conundrum), and extremely high ward/second (obviously) so I only die when I’m stupid. All resitances maxed.

This also means all damage that bypasses ward virtually doesn’t hurt you, as it can’t kill you, making you effectively immune to it.

Tried to max minion phy dmg: https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/oml9gPnB

1. It is only 100% diff (Phy: 1234% VS Necro: 1134%)
  2. It requires good stuff T5, legendary with 1 T5, idols
  3. I completely messed defense

No need Bone Curse to shred. I take passive node “Aegisfall” (and maxing minion atk speed). More, as discussed above armor also apply to other damages, then shredding is also decent for other dmg types.

I’m also wondering about Dread Phalanx effectiveness, even summoning a big Abomination VS 9 skeletons (4 standard + 5 mages)

I don’t use “permanent” but use them as a spammed skill: Wraith Bringer (maxed, cost reduction) + Locus of Death (can’t move)
It deals very massive messages damages.

I also spotted this new item :slight_smile: Sounds very interesting…

Doesn’t look like a level 86 stuff :smiley:

Curious about your build as when starting Empowered Monoliths, they started to die pretty often.
Long time I haven’t launched the game, and still, I was slowly (very very very slowly: 1-1.5h for +4 :frowning: :frowning: ) increasing corruption from normal ones.

I need to do a more proper reply when I get home on my PC, perhaps. I’m on my phone now but I’ll try to “briefly” reply:

First of all, thank you, for chosing to have a discussion with me instead of just telling me I’m wrong. I hope you will consider my opinion, thoughts, and viewpoints, even if you still disagree.

All of these observations will be from my offline level 100 that I’ve probably sunk about 300 hours into. I did make an online pre-1.0 as well as in 1.0, one is level 85 and one is 87 and I have an uber Last Steps on them dammit but I prefer offline.

That said, I play slow. Not that my build kills slow necessarily, but I mean I spend a lot of time crafting, organizing gear, AFK, etc. So even though it’s my long-term toon, I’m only at 187 corruption max. That said, now that the harbingers push you to hit 300 corruption, I’ll attempt to do that and get a better feel for the build. Eventually…

I understand if my observations don’t matter if it’s onlu 187 corruption.

Anyway…

I focus on my own sustainability and my minions’ sustainability first. My physical minion damage is only about 720%. It’s not maxed at all. But there’s also a lot of flat damage too from my weapon, Ribbons of Blood, passive tree, Transplant. I find % damage on a amulet to be better than The Fang, but perhaps if I had The Fang with some LP…
Though I just got that 3 LP Xithara’s Conundrum.

Anyway, armor shred stacks, so no harm having more of it. Also, it scales MORE with physical than not. AND Bone Curse has a passive that buffs minion physical damage by, I want to say, 50% multiplcative with all other sources. So that’s literally insane.

I know temporary wraiths are probably better than permanent, I just like permanent, and I’m stubborn.

The crab is super squishy :frowning: so I stopped using him lol once I finally got it. But try it out; it’s fun :slight_smile:

I don’t understand your comment about the level 86 stuff.

I’m not saying Dread Phalanx is better, I’m mainly using it for QoL. I don’t have to press as many buttons to summom them or the Abomination initially, and I don’t have to be worried about the Abomination decaying if I press the wrong button ONE TIME (because he doesn’t STOP decaying when you go back to 5 or less). Plus you may not realize but rogues have a passive that buffs them more the less there are. So there’s that.

I can try to share my build more in depth later, if you want. But you need 2 very important things to keep minions alive: minion armor, and minion FLAT health regen. I have a helmet that gives like a ton of health regen, I wanna say 140? And Abomination has a passive that gives, I wanna say, 675 armor. Bone Golems can give similar if you’d rather use them. You can also use an Arboreal Circuit which is available super early, just gotta find one. And that single 21st point in the Acolyte tree gives a ton of armor. I have 21 in Acolyte, 28 in Lich, rest in Necromancer.

Minion resistance helps too…there’s a necromancer passive. And more health will help keep them alive when they hang out too long in an AOE. Strive for at least 350% minion health, closer to 550% is better.

Again, this is all for 187 corruption. Take it or leave it.

I have over 6k ward, and maxed resistance for the most part (I think poison is 73% right now). And of course, over 100% critical strike avoidance. Minions are also immune to crits from Ribbons of Blood.

Enduance doesn’t matter if I have Xithara’s Conundrum, and endurance threshold doesn’t matter period. My armor is around 25%. No notable parry or block chance but maybe I’d have some if I got super lucky on a 1h axe. Havent yet. A lot of people swear by a shield but I use a catalyst with ward/sec and ward retention, TONS of tankiness there.

Edit: I don’t even use the physical minion damage idols anymore, ALL of my idols give health and, if I’m lucky, also something else like minion critical strike chance.

In general, when looking at gear the order of importance is: critical strike avoidance (to cap) > minion health regen (to 130ish) > health > ward/sec > ward retention > minion damage > INT > VIT > minion critical strike chance > resistances (to cap) > minion health (to 550) > armor.

On 1h axes, ONLY 3 suffixes matter fist: minion melee/bow, minion melee/spell, and minion physical penetration. Then get mana/ mana regen prefix and very last, parry chance prefi. Never have got that far.

For the record, Bone Curse can’t proc on-hit or on-death effects in general so no need to focus any. I’ve tested this extensively.

1 Like

Ok, I’m home now, I’ll provide more of a reply.

I love your attempt at min/maxing the most damage for a physical minion build. (However, like I said, you can’t negate defenses.) Here’s a few notes:

-The Fang with 1 LP giving minion damage would be better than a Turquoise Amulet for damage.
-Apogee of Frozen Light does absolutely nothing for my build. ANY yellow one-handed axe would be better than that, especially a Dragonbone Axe. There’s no unique that is better than a generic Dragonbone Axe. “Undisputed” wouldn’t even be helpful at 4 LP.

I can’t find my offline character to import the build, but I’ll just briefly go over each piece. Everything is T5 unless I say otherwise.

Helmet is a bad base (armour/endurance) w/ minion health regen (T6), INT, armour, and % armour. Had to change recently when I got a new belt, and needed more minion health regen.

Amulet is Xithara’s Conundrum, 3 LP, with minion damage, health (T6), physical resistance.

One-handed Axe w/ minion melee damage base & minion melee/spell (T4), minion melee/bow (T6), and mana/% mana regen (T1). Still working on this one; it’s the best I’ve found.

Off-hand Catalyst w/ INT/ward per sec/ward retention base, w/ minion damage, minion health (T4), elemental resistance (T6), and ward per second (T4). Don’t know why I can’t find better :stuck_out_tongue:

Top is Exsanguinous, 2 LP, with minion health and health (T6).

Belt is a 6 potion slot base w/ ward gained on potion use/ailments cleansed on potion use (T6), minion damage, health/stun avoidance, health.

First ring is a Ribbons of Blood, 1 LP, with critical strike avoidance.

Second ring is move speed base w/ potion health converted to ward (useless, because I have Xithara’s Conundrum, but just haven’t found a replacement that’s better yet), minion damage (T7; this is why I haven’t found better), cold resistance, void resistance.

Gloves are armor/void resistance base w/ minion damage (T6), INT (T4), elemental resistance, critical strike avoidance.

Boots are Last Steps of the Living, 1 LP, with VIT.

Relic is poison resist/ward per sec base w/ minion damage, minion health (T6), lightning resistance, health.

I’ve got two 1x2 idols with % health and health, four 1x3 with % health. Two of those have ward retention and the other two have minion critical strike chance. And two 2x1 with VIT. One has minion physical damage and the other has necrotic resistance.

And that’s it!

My current EHP is 1 HP + 6214 ward. All resistances over 75% except poison which is 73%. Most of them hover around 80%-85%. Armor is 23%.

47% movement speed 2/3 of the time and 38% 1/3 of the time. Last Steps is “fun”. 76 INT, which is relevant when we consider minion damage as each point of INT is 4% damage. Minion Physical Damage is actually 709% right now. With also lots of + flat damage. +49 from the 1H axe and +4 from Ribbons of Blood and +8 from the Necromancer tree. Then another 15 for 4 seconds after casting Transplant.

64 points in Necromancer, 21 in Acolyte, and 28 in Lich.

Minions get 675 armor from Abomination and 300 from the Acolyte tree. They get 128 health regen from my helmet and 2 from the Necromancer tree and also 20% from the Lich tree. So that’s a total of 156. They also get 16% resistance from the Necromancer tree which…I guess is good?

Minion Critical Strike Chance is only 14%.

Bone Curse has a passive that increases physical damage by 50%, multiplicative with all other sources. Not to mention, also 100% chance to shred armor, execute at 12%, and summoning the Skeleton Vanguards.

EDIT: Xithara’s Conundrum with any health-draining armor makes you effectively immune to damage that bypasses ward, as it can’t kill you, but you have 1 health. But, you can get hurt at 1 health and not die. Using Transplant or a spell with Veins of Malice still proc Ethereal Revenant.

I hardly ever die, and same for my minions, and stuff dies. Bosses don’t take too long BUT harbingers do. They seem so tanky? But they aren’t a threat…I’ve never died to one.

My build can surely do past 187 corruption, I don’t know its limit.

1 Like

IF you want a minion crit build this is what you want. Phantom grip is new to my build so it’s just a bit wonky with the hollow finger right now. Still 600coruption all day long.

70% minion crit chance, 100% for wraiths and skelly mages. between +361 and 451 crit multi. Crushes for DPS. Got nothing but buffs in 1.1.

1 Like

I thought (and I was right), you have far more experience. Even if I haven’t played for a while now, I haven’t reached level 100 yet.
And being transparent, sorry if my words were mistaken, but I don’t find you are wrong at all! You just have a different experience, which is normal as I’m still under 100 corruption while you are at 187!

And overall, I greatly appreciate people sharing their experience. I know how much time it costs. So thank you (and all other participants)!

Just figure out Bone Curse buff when setting up the build. Find it interesting, but as not always understand figure in the game. It would have been nice to have some way to get actual figure (not only %).

I agree minion maintenance isn’t the greatest part of zoo builds (I gave up Abomination for this reason). But as I use it as a spell (except for farming, where I redeem the “immobile” node), it’s not a big issue.
However, can’t play with Bone Curse this way. That’s too much mana requirement.

For a guy focusing minion sustains, that’s not a good news. But will follow you’re advice. It’s videogame first of all.

When I opened the post, it was mostly where I was supposed to sit regarding Empowered Monoliths.
As it’s my first character, first time I completed Normal Monoliths. It is hard to know if I was wrong or just too early.
You mention lot of 3 LP but it is far from what I can drop at the moment ^^ I’ve few 1 LP but no interesting one.

I’ve being always curious about Dread Phalanx since I “discovered” it. But it makes sense with Rogue buff and Abomination. Still curious if there are other possible “combos”.

When I started to leave physical minions for elemental/necrotic, I switched to archers.
As there are a lot of AoE (especially in bosses), melee minions tend to stack in the same location and so loose life quickly. Which may require to summon several at once.

Yes!

You make me much more curious about your build :slight_smile:

Isn’t better to reduce critical damage?

Parry?

Yeah that’s more to compare phy scaling over necrotic (and partially elemental).

Sounds legit. I used in Necrotic Zoo as it buff damage and give some skill points. But as I can’t proc passive to give frenzy and more, I’m not sure it’s worth compare to a scythe.

Thank you for all information!

Thank you! I will take a look at it.

The items he mentioned are available at your level. You don’t need LP to begin using them, you just need to drop them or buy them :wink:

Exsanguinous is lvl 23 unique body armor
Last Steps of the Living are lvl 63 unique boots
together with experimental gloves, they form the trio of items that make a character into “low life” build. You can use them without any LP. They scale with HP and Ward Retention. Higher your HP = more HP drained = more Ward per Second.
Higher Ward Retention = slower Ward decay = your Ward per Second generates more Ward.

The other two were…
Ribbons of Blood is lvl 53 unique ring, nice for minion builds
Xithara’s Conundrum is … weird :smiley: but that’s coming from someone who hasn’t tried the amulet yet, so yeah.

When you click the import button on the website and switch to Offline tab, it tells you where to find your saves.

I only have one 3 LP item, my amulet, and it’s not necessary. This build works without even 1 LP but of course LP works. Nowadays you can just add stats to ANY 0 LP unique with Nemesis though so that’s nice.

Level 86 is fine to do empowered monoliths, if that’s what you were saying.

I’m now doing 259 corruption monoliths! I beat the monolith boss and harbinger at 235 with no problem, and regular monoliths are no problem at 259 now. And I have to say, my rogues and warrior are dying a little bit but it’s not hard to resummon them when they do. It doesn’t happen often enough that I’m constantly resummoning them so it’s ok. The wraiths hardly ever die (but can also be resummoned, it’s just a lot of mana). The Abomination has never died. The ethereal revenant is constantly resummoned so it wouldn’t matter. The only issue is the skeleton vanguards (the spear using ones) that can’t really be resummoned if they die in a boss fight. But it’s ok I guess.

Maybe it depends on what you find on gear. I guess that can drop on chests but if you’re using Exsanguinous and you don’t get that on the chest then you’re screwed.

Right now all it takes me is 1 blessing and 1 affix (from my helmet) to get to over 100% critical strike avoidance so it’s no big deal. But it might be different depending on hwat you find.

It’s the only useful prefix on axes, besides mana/mana regen (that’s one stat). For my build, at least. As I said, on-hit and on-death affects don’t trigger with Bone Curse.

Yeah I tried to upload it but I can’t find the files where they are shared on my computer as I’m playing offline. So I’d have to do it all manually. :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe I’ll do that someday soon.

My build is up to over 6k ward now and close to 800% minion physical damage.

Yes! All of the stuff in my build is available at level 86, which is why I was confused, heh.

I’ll add to that:

Exasanguinous can drop anywhere, it’s just rare. Very rare. So use Runes of Ascendance on armours and if you’re in CoF, then farm specifically for unique body armours if you can. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ribbons of Blood drops from the boss of the first monolith with 50% chance, and Last Steps of the Living drops from the boss of Blood, Frost, and Death with a 50% chance. Even non-empowered ones. Both are very easy to farm and accessible.

Xithara’s Conundrum is a pretty common drop and getting 3 LP like I did is not THAT rare. Like Exsanguinous, it can drop anywhere. It’s mostly useful for the 100% potion health converted to ward as it would take a lot of affixes in other items to get there, but none of the stats on it are bad for a low-health build, and all are slightly useful. It also means you don’t need a passive in the lich tree that converts health leech to damage (I don’t remember HOW I was leeching life, I just know that I was) but I just replaced it with a different node in the Lich tree that only gave me 5 health or something so it’s not even that important. XD (Because I still want to put points into Lich to get to those +2 INT nodes!)

I know, and I tried for a while to try and figure it out but I couldn’t. Like I said, not tech savvy and it doesn’t exactly hold your hand. I even tried googling it, and nothing. :-\

Regarding finding my character data to import, I am now at the stage I got so far as it’s supposed to be in a folder called “899770” but when I open that, there’s no “ac”. :-\

It’s actually useful for a low life build as it disables health regen & that’s one of the components in working out your stable ward in a low life build (0 regen = maximised ward/sec from the other items). If you have 0 regen your life settles at fractionally above 0.