Extremely slow start up

From searching and googling, I know this has been a problem for some people, but when I start the game from steam it takes ~2.5-3 minutes to start the game up. Once I get in the game however, everything is pretty smooth and the load times are pretty normal.

I know my computer is older and I’m not using an SSD, so just wondering if that’s just normal for the beta or it’s something I can do to improve it?

Thanks
Player.log (27.7 KB)

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

Your player.log doesnt show anything that would attribute to a long start up and you didnt give any specifics (like a dxdiag) on your setup so I am going to base my reply on the fact that the game runs and you have indicated that you have older hardware…

Loading the game … Well… I have a normal HD (never mind MB/s range), SSD (500 MB/s) and NVME (3000 Mb/s) drive and the difference in load times is so obvious that you dont even need to take out the stopwatch… On the NVME drive I can be up and running with the purple login button in less than 20 seconds and it takes a few seconds to load up a character or new maps in play. Granted that includes a fast internet connection for the login part but its still WAY faster than on a normal HD - even a newer mechanical drive. I recall that the same process took almost a minute on the normal SSD and I never even tried it on my HD…

Your internet connection will obviously add some time to the login process - if its slow it may add a lot of time to the login part of the game launching… obviously LE is not an online game right now but it still requires login for game verification and chat features…

As a last note… LE is in beta and it is logging debug information etc (and I expect its running at least part of the game with debug code enabled) which will factor in when you consider performance, but unless you are running REALLY older hardware I dont think it should be that impactful…

Cannot really speculate more that that without a lot more detail specific to your setup…

Thanks for the response, attached is my dxdiag. I guess I’m glad that the player.log doesn’t show anything. Maybe it’s just my computer.
DxDiag.txt (87.2 KB)

Your dxdiag has a n/a next to the Processor: - this is more than odd… how can your processor be “not applicable” :wink: Can you try something like CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID to find out what Processor you have… Your motherboard (also unknown) BIOS is dated 2010 so I am assuming you may have a pretty old processor? Startup is effectively all loading the game/processing so an old processor could be a bottleneck here.

Your GPU is beginning to show its age so while I expect you are not getting great performance even on the lowest possible in-game settings in-game, its probably not adding too much time to your load times (a little but not much)… Your graphics card driver is also a bit old now… Sept 2020… While I wouldnt recommend getting the latest and greatest on your old hardware, I’d suggest getting something from this year… preferably in the last 3 months…

Your harddrive is really old and has pretty bad performance statistics - even brand new it would be slow… I have an old WD 1tb drive that is 2 years newer than yours and its almost 70% faster and I still consider mine “dog slow”. There is zero doubt in my mind that this is probably a major contributing factor in your long startup times…

Last bit of info…

The end of your DXDIAG shows errors on your system…

Last Epoch has actually crashed a few times which adds a bit of a complication to your comment of “the game runs” as these errors indicate that its not stable and quite honestly after looking through your system details I have a feeling that you may be on the borderline of the minimum system spec.

An app from the Windows Store has been having hassles with the error StoreAgentAcquireLicenseFailure1… This is a licensing issue that you may want to check out.

Thanks for the all the information! I’ll take a look at some of the stuff you mentioned. Basically in conclusion my computer is old as hell. I knew that already, just wanted to confirm it was my end

1 Like

Honestly, without knowing what processor you actually have, I’d guess you could probably eek out a few more years of general usage (youtube, office work etc) if you replaced that harddrive - even with just a normal SSD. EDIT: if it can even be changed for an SSD! I have done similar to old laptops and its almost as if they were new because of the drive speeds…

but for gaming… nah… a faster drive will help, but I have a suspicion that boat has sailed…

Just to add to this, the processor is Intel(R) Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz

Thanks again for the information!

Perfectly fine for normal everyday usage… even some light gaming with some older titles, but its gonna struggle with anything new/processor intensive…

It launched in 2011 so if you have been using it that long (and havent done this already) I seriously recommend that you replace the thermal paste between it and the heatsink - that stuff is probably concrete by now and pretty useless as a thermal conductor…

Extremely long start up till the point after 6 minutes later it still doesn’t launch, sometimes when the game window finally pops up, it becomes not responding. Due to this I was unable to play it through the weekends… please fix. I can launch my skyrim SE with 781 mods just fine but this is too much.

Please create your own thread in the technical section so that your specific issue can be dealt with, without confusing things with other players issues and setups.

There are many different reasons for problems and its important that you also provide your information in your own thread… Please post it in your own thread.

As VAPOURFIRE touched on your machine is a bit old, and it did notice that. A bit more digging I found that Windows 10 does not support some of your machine (no drivers) specially for the 2nd generation Intel(R) Core™ processor family DRAM Controller - 0100. One of the other things that Windows does have drivers for that you don’t have installed:
Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Management Engine Interface - 1C3A
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_04\3&11583659&0&B0
Driver: n/a
I know Windows 7 is not supported anymore by Microsoft but it does happen to be on the minimum requirements listed for LE
If Windows 7 was utilized on this machine you would be able to have all the drivers the machine would need.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.