Exclusive Fullscreen doesn't make it an exclusive fullscreen on Linux?

The problem:

Trying to watch a video on one monitor, and play the game on the other. Note that in CS;GO or Tomb Raider at max settings, I can get 150-300 FPS easily (on a 1440p 144hz monitor). My system is more than beefy enough to play these sort of games.

Problem with Last Epoch is even on medium graphics, FPS sits around 100-120 which is playable, but as soon as I watch a video in Firefox or on desktop the FPS tanks to 50 (which again, is playable) but the issue is really that the game starts to stutter.

I believe I’ve narrowed down the issue at least in part to the fact that exclusive fullscreen doesn’t seem to be a proper fullscreen. I can still move my mouse between monitors without the monitor border stopping it. I think if it was proper fullscreen, then the stutter would be gone, and FPS probably drastically improved.

Any word on if this is a known bug or issue on my end? (Note: GPU only uses 1/8th of memory, temps are good, so not that).

Hey… No idea on Linux but I have experienced similar stuttering on LE in Windows when doing other tasks at the same time… i.e. running a netflix or youtube stream on a second monitor. The game is pretty CPU bound in some tasks and anything in background can highlight this issue. As seriously beefy systems experience the same FPS drop (relative obviously i.e. for me its 60fps to 30, for you it may be 100 to 50. ) it definitely seems like this is an optimisation issue rather than anything else.

+ve side is that the devs know about the performance issues and do fix things with each patch…

as to the exclusive full screen… I use that setting too with 2 monitors but I dont think it plays a roll in this problem (perhaps it does but I have not been able to tell in my messing around).

The reason I think it does, is that true fullscreen stops your mouse from moving between screens unless you alt-tab. I believe this gives priority to the game in this respect, and doesn’t let other programs mess up with thinking your game is just another window to mess with.

If you’re seeing this in windows, that’s good to know. My system is more than enough for high end gaming, and I know linux reduces the FPS I’d get, but the stuttering is the thing I can’t stand, and lags my PC.

True. Never really considered the link between exclusive foreground vs just making the screen take up the entire monitor… Sounds like its actually behaving more like windowed-fullscreen. But hey… I’m just speculating… :wink:

UPDATE: I figured out the issue was partly due to Firefox not having proper gpu hardware acceleration enabled for me.

The config layers.acceleration.force-enabled set to true and restart fixed the stuttering issue for me. Now with twitch stream 1080p full screen on second monitor, and game on high settings I get around 70-90 FPS which is enough for me to feel comfortable, no stutter, runs buttery.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.