Endurance vs Low Life or High Health Regen builds

Was not around for this “old system” you refer to… perhaps they are testing a middle ground after the overreliance on the “Set res” affixes? Or maybe they didnt like the way it worked automatically with the Armour stat?

Endurence brings the old problem of “Hp is useless” back. You can get arround 1k treshold with T7 affixes and if you are at this point you don’t need more HP. It’s simple you can simply neglect every point of HP or vitality with endurence.
Endurence is realy potent but I think it is a step back and not beneficial for LE.

Yea I’m not a fan overall of Endurance. It puts too much reliance on low life builds. Not really my type of play style. I enjoyed Set Res’s. I tied them to anything after story mode. They pretty much replaced the reliance of three different affixes into two. No need to stack any HP anymore. Don’t even need armor. Just need Endurance Threshold and the minimal Endurance 60%. If they were worried about the reliance upon Set Res’s they didn’t do a good job of replacing that reliance. Just made it easier. IMO

It very much depends what you mean by low-life builds. In LE, low-life generally means using a mechanic such as Exsanguinous/Last Steps of the Living to convert your hp into ward. Those builds want to stack as much hp as possible & gain no benefit from Endurance (since it won’t reduce the damage taken to ward).

HP stacking is certainly not particularly rewarded by building endurance though from conversations with the devs, I think that’s where they intended it to be used despite that not being how the player wants to use it.

I havent played in a while or used Endurance but the first and only thing I can think of is they cannot balance Ward and there is their only solution, which is grim

it seems you were around? you posted in that thread about protections changing to % from flat…that is the old system

I don’t agree that the addition of Endurance is a step backward. It’s just another defensive option just like the many others we have. Maybe I would be more inclined to retract this statement if endurance ends up being the only thing that matters but from what I have seen thus far, other defensive options still can benefit you and be powerful. If this is indeed the case it opens up more gearing opportunities than removes them and I find that interesting.

From a game play perspective I am enjoying the new addition of Endurance. I found in hardcore SSF it’s difficult to justify endurance stack early. I pretty much concluded after a few test runs (hehe, deaths) the stat is more endgame focus defensive option similar to low life ward. The best option for leveling and going into endgame is that you have to stack other defenses then grind out enough crafting mats to switch all your gear over slowly while monolith processing. From that view point I think it’s fairly balanced with how accessible it is and the amount of work it takes to fully gear a character out with this mitigation path (I am aware this experience is probably much different in SC).

If Endurance does seem to suck up all the build opportunities for endgame after the number crunchers have done their work, then I rather they just nerf it’s potential mitigation to bring it in line with other builds then remove it from the game. I want more choices for defensive layering in the game that have strengths and weaknesses, I would hate for this mechanic to be removed.

So pretty much what people are going to be gunning for is Resists, Endurance, and maybe some Regen. Regen is stronger the less max HP you have too.

It depends on the people. Right now I play a Pala who get things done with max resis a looot of armor and leech as well as leech from dots. I have a low max HP Druid with endurence and it’s pretty funny.
The most suprising thing was endurence lich with all the leech incorperated in the tree it’s hard to tell if you ever loose HP.

Endurence is very strong after a certain investment then again you can make it without it.

I think endurance does a lot to make subtle things more viable.
For example, if you are taking a single hit every three seconds of 2000 damage, plus lots of small hits afterwards.

Toon 1 is your pure health (2.1K HP) and damage stacker, which survives the first hit, then dies from the combination of all the little other hits. The village is overrun by monsters.

Toon 2, you have decent life regen, 1.5K HP and 500 endurance threshold with 20% endurance. You barely survive the 2K damage initial hit, but your investment into a bit of life regen and endurance allows you to stay alive for all the follow up little hits and you save the village and marry the fair maiden.

1 Like

The second character wouldn’t have survived the big hit. They would have taken 1k unmitigated from the big hit plus another 800 (1k reduced by 20% from endurance) for a total of 1.8k. The character with endurance would only have survived if they had 60% DR (for a total hit of 1.4k which was likely your intention).

Plus you’re comparing a character with more mitigation & sustain (#2) to a character with apparently no leech (#1).

Besides, now that defensive affixes are purely suffixes, there’s no reason for character #2 to be a “damage stacker” as well.

I made my Void Knight caster a set of gear stacking Endurance (the day before 0.8.1c nerfed endurance threshold, naturally!) to compare it to going pure hp (~1k hp & ~700 endurance threshold with 60% DR, compared to ~1.7k hp with slightly more damage) & they played very similarly. The main difference was that on the endurance stacking character had Sigils of Hope Faith node proccing significantly more frequently (consumes a Sigil if you take a single hit over ~25% of your hp & heals you for ~200 hp), but apart from that I didn’t see any difference in survivability.

And that’s it :). With 0.8.1c there is no need for endurence at all because you can easiely get the same EHp by stacking health. It already feels like endurence is completely useless. They could simply offer it as a GB mechanik for Primalists and be done with it. Maybe it’s just me but after this patch endurence seems like a waste of development time.

But this was the day before 0.8.1c. in 0.8.1c the a bit worse (~600 threshold instead of ~700).

I think the key thing to think about is that they devs seem to want it to function at low-ish life, not be used as an additional layer of defence that’s always applicable. Unfortunately the way the game works, you’re either at reasonably full hp, or you’re dead (or you’re a low-life ward build). I think it still needs more iterating, as I don’t think it’s worth using for the majority of builds at the moment. I’m not sure that there’s really any defence that’s useful at small values (resists, ward, dodge, etc).

I think they are just aiming for a mechanic that mitigates 1-shots. I like the idea of it. It is almost like your adrenaline pumping to keep you alive when you are at death’s door.

There is an extremely difficult, if not impossible, task of balance though. In almost all circumstances, it is either good enough to spec into completely, or not good enough to put anything into. I can’t see any way to make it anything but those 2 options.

0.8.1b it was better than every other form of defense but for resists.
0.8.1c it probably isn’t worth putting any affixes toward at all.

0.8.1b it was better than every other form of defense but for resists.
0.8.1c it probably isn’t worth putting any affixes toward at all.

I think both of these interpretations are a bit overblown

1 Like

it makes a certain ammount of HP worth 1.6 times the value. If you can reach 3k hp rather easy how much affixes would you waste on endurence and how much HP do you get out of these? It’s rather simple if I wasn’t to lazy to look at the roll ranges and the blocked affixes :D.
If you include the HP benefits from the treesmaybe the primalist is in an okay state but everyone else? i don’t think so.

So it’s like block for the Sentinel then. If it’s ok for the Sentinel to be able to get good DR with a high chance for uptime from block, why is it not ok for the Primalist to be the class that primarily benefits from Endurance. Do people complain that the Rogue has a significantly easier time getting close to the dodge cap than any other class?

1 Like

It’s totaly okay for primalist… you can get 30% of your max HP as threshold from the tree so it’s fine for primalists. For everyone else it’s just math ^^.

The first point is not overblown. Any mitigation that works on all types of damage are by default better than those that mitigate only specific types of damage. Resists and Endurance are pretty much it for that.

The second point may be overblown. I don’t know how much the nerf actually impacted its usefulness. It may still be worth investing in, but if it is worth it at all, it is worth going all in.

Neither Block nor Dodge mitigate DoTs. Endurance does.

It’s around 100 threshold on a high roll t5 on every slot (as I mentioned earlier).