Emperor of Corpses AoE not fixed

We’ve investigated this, and the problem appears to be caused by standing too close to the boss and pushing it. This causes positions to get out of sync between the client and server for the rest of the fight.

This isn’t a new bug in 0.9i, and being able to push enemies in Online mode is a general bug rather than specific to this boss. But, we will look into a workaround for the Emperor of Corpses specifically since this is particularly bad.

For now, try to avoid pushing the boss around. Sorry about that!

How do you actually avoid pushing a boss around? I’m over 500 hours in and never quite realized - is it standing too close to the boss while attacking?

And to be completely honest, it’s highly disappointing when you see patch notes about the boss’ problematic ability being reverted to its original form, assuming it’s been fixed, only to find out it’s just as bad as it was - how about nerfing the aoe blast again for the time being until it’s actually working properly?

And at the end of the day, yet another fight that’s just stacked against melee characters.

Thank you for your reply. For my current build it is imposible to avoid moving the boss, since the DPS spammable for my paladin is Rive, and it has a node that pulls enemies (and removing it would really mess my skill tree at this point).

Will this be fixed soon? Since I cannot progress to empowered monoliths without taking a significant detour.

Update: I was able to face-tank the AoE with Rebuke, though I doubt this will be as easy in empowered monoliths… I hope it helps people in a similar situation.

Please fix it

We found that pushing the Emperor of Corpses could cause the behavior described in this thread, and we’ve released a fix for pushing enemies in 0.9i3. Please let us know if you experience this problem after restarting and downloading the new update. Thanks!

Not fixed after update.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. We weren’t able to re-create this problem internally without the pushing bug described.

We’ll do our best to investigate further, but any more details we can get would be helpful. Such as: what latency you’re at, if anything felt laggy (and how so), skills you’re using, stuff like that. Also generally stating what time this problem occurred will help us dig in to logs on our side.

Ping is around 55-60. Nothing felt laggy at the time. I was on a sorc with static orb, meteor, teleport, fire ward, and arcane ascendance. It was moments before I made the previous post, so around 2:13 pm Central time. I had made it through much of the fight by being miles and miles outside the circle but it eventually got me when I was instead just a couple character widths out. It wasn’t like I just barely made it out either. I had gotten out and stopped to turn around and cast spells. I was very clearly not in the circle.

I mean there is not much to recreate here.
Go in the boss fight, don’t even get near him or attack him, wait for the bomb cast, run any direction you want and kiss the wall of your choosing.

Result: You may or may not get hit, dice roll time. (so far we all got hit and HC can’t afford dice rolls like this it’s super BS + this guy gates the whole north side I mean…)
This boss is decimating our HC discord players, 2-3 rips every week while fully out of the bomb. Only way to make sure right now is to play sentinel and rebuke or mage + ward and flame ward.

I watched my buddy go in on his druid, 2 secs in emperor starts bomb cast (player didn’t even have time to do any dmg or nothing), he ran off to the right side at 3 o’clock as FAR AS HE COULD, waited for the bomb as he was safely standing outside and got one shot regardless.

Same thing happened to me at that spot 3 days ago.

It’s not even about ping or pushing anymore, it’s just about the terrible arena size + terrible hitbox.

There is not enough room in there, make this damn aoe smaller or make the arena bigger.
Kissing the walls should be enough to tell the game you are out.

Another thing I can add from my end is, if you have the boss’ rotation figured out and run out pre-emptively, the boss will move towards the character before casting the aoe, leaving you literally no space to run anymore.

Testing some other FG stuff, but there is no pushing on this death to make the desync occur. Well outside the AoE. So unless EoC is spawning out of position(felt a little farther north than straight in the middle), don’t see how pushing caused this one.

https://imgur.com/a/HkS1lDH

Player.zip (81.4 KB)

I am happy to see that I am not alone struggling with the Emperor Corpses boss. I do not understand, I never had any difficulties with previous patches, but I can t avoid his aoe on 0.9. For info, I am also using Rive with the pull node on second strike.

I remove the pull node on second strike of Rive, and same results. I simply cannot kill this boss and cannot move to empowered monolith whereas I never have any problem before (600 h on this game with other character). So frustrating…

I simply add lot of leech on my build and facetank him with rive… no skill, no try to avoid his mechanics, simply leech a lot to survive his attack… not rewarding, but the boss is died and i can move on.

“leech a lot to survive his attack” Well, I understand what you’re saying, but leech does nothing against a hit that oneshots you and most players won’t be able to tank that ability.

I agree with you, it shouldn’t be the solution. But that’s the only way I found at the moment due to the bug. I hope it can help some other to kill him.

Can confirm this is buggy as heck.

Also in Werebear form, my movement ability Rampage DOESN’T work, which makes this doubly worse with this bug since it’s hard to get out of that big circle without rampage.

Yeah, I’m currently having the same issue, too. On top of that, I was also hit by his breath attack while not being in front of him. And I also had an attempt where I spawned in, and the vortex thing he does after the blast was still there, so I spawned in it.

Running shield bash with two charges and having Anomaly for a third interrupt still will not help melee on this fight. Bosses simply immediately continue their rotation after being interrupted. So interrupts like anomaly and shield bash are not usable as tactical interrupts on bosses–they only delay the inevitable by a couple seconds on this boss (and others).