Eleventh Hour Games | New Partnership

Define “average player” first please. Because even in LE you can define it as “completing only campaign”, “reaching empowered monos” (which is already heavy grind), “farming low-corruption empowered monos”.

And second - if you think that end-endgame bosses should be defeated on sub10ex budget by huge chunk of builds… Well, we are in LE forums which had and probably have (looks like nothing in patch notes but maybe) huge issues with how easy is character gearing and how monoliths are turned from “normal → hard” to “baby walk → normal”.

1 Like

Every thing that Tencent touches goes directly in the pockets of the Red Army of the Chinese Gov.
I will never accept an Game that share ANY connections to this Dictatorship like Regime.
Gamers and Dev who dont care about this kind of stuff in 2022 are just very very unsocial people that only care for themself and shit on the rest of the world.

3 Likes

Whether or not you like the current state of the game is subjective. What I said however was not subjetive, it was very objective. Let’s look at it again.

I said the early game abandoment by players went from 33% over 1 month to 50% over 1 week. That is objective. Even if you want to say that it has more players and it’s core that was there before still is, that is incorrect which leads me to the second point.

GGG Alienated it’s core audience and it’s actually the second time they do it. The game started as a hardcore game, but as expected of a hardcore game, it’s audience was rather niche and they weren’t able to grow. Then they alienated them and made the game easier for the average player by introducing ascencion and over several years, making the players stronger while not making enemeies stronger. This is what build them an actual solid core of people playing the game and how the game grew to be loved. Then they started making everything hardcore again, once again alienating it’s core player base. The difference is, the first time it was a marketing decision, the second was thinking they are so big they can’t fall from their throne (and they may be right but more on that later).

This lead to massive early league abandoment by it’s players as they suddenly can’t play the game anymore because they can’t do anything. You may thing it’s such a great thing that you need mirror level gear to do everything (I’m exagerating but it drives the point across) but all that does is remove from the pool the amount of people able to play and enjoy the game.

What do you think it’s better. A game where gearing is easy and everyone can do everything and have fun, therefore the only advantage a good player has is having more currency to make better builds and rare builds that need that level of currency to work or a game where only 10% of the playerbase has a chance to do all the content and the rest barely scrape the bottom of the barrel and have no fun?

Another thing that shows that PoE is bleeding players is the trading. Which has been terrible as always due to not having a proper market place and means to prevent market manipulation. But I remember that prior to delve I could easily find what I was looking for since players were not leaving the game early and I could find it usually at reasonable prices. If you are to look at the market these days, 1 week in you start to notice the dip in the amount of stuff in the market and worse as it goes, not to mention the prices as astronical compared to before therefore making gearing a nightmare.

So your theory that PoE is stronger than ever is incorrect. You are suffering from seeing a big number on your screen and thinking they are better than ever and never really questioning how much of this big number is sand thrown in your face.

Now, whether this happened as a direct result of Tencent getting involved with GGG or not I don’t know. Like I said, they had already done some questionable decision starting with Delve before Tencent was brought in, but the real big and bad changes started after Tencent was involved. Could it be a coincidence, maybe. But in my experience, coincidences don’t happen often and a lot of people are complaining that where Tencent touches, the game turns bad. We are not talking about politics or them being chinese. No, we are talking about the games they finance becoming bad. There is absolutely no morality involved in the equasion here. The problem being, LE is now financed by Tencent as well which rings alarm bells.

Lastly. Yes, Tencet is a chinese company and they have a bad goverment and they do bad things, yes. But honestely I don’t care about that. Realistically speaking, I have no way to affect anything that happens in china or how they affect the world. I simply do not have that power and as you so well said, western companies do things on that level of bad if not worse at times. But again, if I’m to be realist with the situation, if I was to boycot any company that does bad things, I’d die of hunger because ALL companies are terrible or are involved with some bigger company that is terrible. Thus, all I can realistically chose is not whether I support them, but whether what they offer me (regardless of their practices) interests me or not.

So again, the problem is that Tencent ruins games they touch. LE, just like GGG developers said they retain full control over their game, but I don’t believe it, not after seeing the 2 things that mattered on GGG which was the game becoming a lot worse and their forums deleting any comments that says bad things about Tencent. It very quickly showed who was running the show.

As for LE specifically. LE already has many issues. Builds types that should work and don’t like totem builds. Minions that are just not good enough by the standard that is expected of minion builds. Crafting that while not being as bad as PoE is still plenty bad. Over the past couple years we have not seen improvements to this. We have seen some changes, but every change has actually made the whole thing worse. That is why I am looking at LE and thinking it has a rather grim future.

LE had a major opportunity. With PoE alienating it’s core player base they could have so very easily captured that player base by going straight after these players and presenting them with a game that was an alternative to PoE. But more and more, they are getting closer to what PoE is instead of presenting themselves as the alternative. Tencent being on board just makes it all the more likely that such becomes true.

@PDA898 - Average player is not defined by what they complete. Average is defined by the skill level of the individual and the average time they have to play on a daily basis (since the more you play the better you’ll get, up to a certain point of course). In order to define the average you look at the skill of every single player, tally it up and then divide by the number of players.

Now for games like ARPGs it’s harder to numerically represent though I’m sure someone could find a way to do it. The average therefore is as I said in the middle and after you find what is the average you will notice rather quickly that somewhere between 40% and 60% of the player base are around that skill level.

And I don’t think they should be. I know they should be defeated by sub 10ex and you know why? Because the majority of players in PoE won’t see 10ex. This is a fact. They shouldn’t be barred from most content because of that. But here’s the funny thing, it’s not just end game bosses, even red maps are not doable with that budged, not if your build is meant to clear quickly and safely so you aren’t constantly dying.

Now you can say some people can do most content on almost no budget, but that are the good players, not the average player.

As for LE, no, it’s not easy to gear up. Yoiu will event gear up to barelyt passable levels, but not to the levels that you should be gearing up and that is just one of the problems LE has.

I haven’t played since the initial crowdfunding alpha launch, as I’ve wanted to wait until the final game is released, so as to not ruin the experience. I’ve watched all of the patch release videos and come to the forums periodically to keep up on progress. I came here today due to Rhykker’s coverage of the patch release and the TenCent investment, to see what the reaction amongst the community was.

Sadly, I wasn’t surprised. Entitled screeching on the Interwebz. Whodathunk?

Up until now, the vast majority of the playerbase has trusted the dev team and management to steer the ship, but now due to a minority investment, many are seemingly willing to jettison everything in the name of over-the-top outrage. It’s beyond the pale IMO, but I guess that’s the social media world we now unfortunately live in. Outrage, drama, and vitriol rule the day.

Why not give the dev team the benefit of the doubt and preserve judgment until if/when there are actual rather than predicted issues?

I’m disappointed… but far more with the community than the devs.

5 Likes

LOL.

-Charan

4 Likes

Pretty much the perfect response. One of the most eye-roll-worthy things is watching gamers get outraged by things. Gamers are the only group of people I know of that will play something for thousands of hours, and while they have the game open on their first monitor, write a wall of text on their second about why the thing they’re spending 12 hours a day on is shit.

This is no different. Once most of these people come up dry following their principles to a bunch of other worse ARPGs, they’ll be back for LE because it’s the most promising ARPG on the market, and gamers are fickle and want their favorite form of escapism and entertainment. This investment changes nothing, and although it is possibly one of the worst places to have gotten an investment from and that I do agree with, it doesn’t change my opinion on EHG or where I think the game is going.

I think any one of the people outraged about this if presented the opportunity would do the same exact thing. Picture building something you’re passionate about, it’s been your dream for as long as you can remember. Some investor comes along and writes you a check for millions of dollars and says “great work, don’t change anything, no strings attached”. You would take it because it’s your dream being fulfilled and it opens a world of possibility.

It was objectively the best choice for the future of the game. Even if they initially lose 5-10% of their player base, this investment will enable them to hire and invest in LE without sacrificing vision, and I honestly CAN’T WAIT to see where this game is in a few years, especially now that they have some funding. In a year or two as LE is growing into one of the better games developed in a few decades, people aren’t going to be like “Lol but Tencent”, they’re just going to appreciate the game and EHG for what it is, and it’s going to keep growing.

4 Likes

Says the person writing essays on a game they dont play

Same, its pretty simple which you dont get: The game will still be played by those people but they wont spend anymore on the game itself. So basically EHG basically just said ‘guys never pay us anything again but we will keep patching the game’ cool win/win I guess. People like you can finance the game without worry and people like that can play the game for free forever now without worry

3 Likes

I’ve periodically played this game on and off since Alpha, I have tons of hours of playtime, and I’m watching the development closely when I’m not playing it. Is that a problem? I fail to see what the point is of what you said. In response to me saying that gamers write wall of text complaint posts about games they’re actively sinking 12 hours a day into, you tried to call attention to the fact that I am… writing a lot of positive things about LE? What exactly are you getting at?

If you go back and actually read what I wrote, it’s three paragraphs about the Tencent situation/gamers of today and about 4 sentences about the actual game, and it was me saying that the game is on an amazing path. Do 4 sentences mean “essay” to you? Why wouldn’t I have a lot to say about a game I have enjoyed and want to see grow? Am I only entitled to say anything about LE when I am actively playing it? Did you think about the logic of your comment before typing it out?

Let’s not forget that you paid a box price for LE. The hybrid model works well because people like me will continue to fund development and support this great dev team. People like you who would probably spend very little money anyways will get their moneys worth out of the box price and more for years to come, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

MY point which YOU seem to not get is that this funding will allow EHG to grow Last Epoch faster and better PAST the initial funding that came from the current player base paying box price, to reach a wider audience with a better game and that will result in way more income in the long run despite a small number of players quitting or being a little mad right now. So yeah, it is a win win.

4 Likes

every single thing you ever bought that is made in China or made with components from China helps fund this.
but by all means crap on a company that does NOT actually make anything in China.
lol.
this thread has become completely absurd.
Note to self. Don’t get my geopolitical analysis from a forum for a video game.

p.s. any iphone users in this thread talking about how immoral tencent money is for EHG ? lol

5 Likes

Hey, since you are trying to avoid companies with investments from tencent you should know that they also own 5% of Blizzard/Activision and Ubisoft and many more. Here is a list: Every game company that Tencent has invested in | PC Gamer

Also they have invested in small stakes of Reddit and discord.

I see a lot of arguments and suggestions on here which amount to
“If you cannot fix all of a thing, you should be ridiculed for attempting to fix a part of the thing”.
Aside from the obvious argumentative flaws, this ignores the historical context that sanctions, divestment, and similar global actions have worked in the past (see South African Apartheid), though admittedly more rarely than most people might think.
To anyone who is tempted to make this style of argument, I suggest you learn a little more about the insidious nature of some human biases. Our biases can lead us to pick on the weaker, to turn a blind eye to evil, to forgive power if it commits atrocities. Perhaps even worse, they can blind us to the courage of those who would attempt to fix a thing for all our benefit, though they know not exactly how.
I, for one, applaud those who are attempting to use the tools available to them for unselfish reasons. The tools available to the average consumer are:

1. Where/when to spend money
  2. Typing things on the internet. The power of discussion, information, even passion.

So to further the “We all bought stuff from China” example. I was happy to buy products from China before the CCP was so openly malicious on the world stage, the same as I was happy to travel to the U.S.A before I was aware of the scale and scope of their war crimes. Now I’d prefer to put a lot of energy into not supporting the CCP, U.S. military industrial complex, and many others. I’m certainly not going to let my previous ignorance stop me, nor the likelihood that I make no difference.

“Better to fail at doing the right thing than to succeed at doing the wrong thing.”
~ Guy Kawasaki

5 Likes

I almost hate to respond, because this is the best post of the thread (I just finished reading every single post), and wouldn’t it be better if it were the last one? But that won’t happen anyhow, so…

I too am not perfect with my purchases and the amount of knowledge I have about the background of each one, but I do my best to make my consumption align with my values, and I encourage everyone to do the same. The posters in this thread attacking people for trying to do exactly that should be ashamed of themselves, in my opinion.

Yes, your influence over others is limited. That is life. That over which you have the most meaningful influence is and always will be yourself, and you should, in all things, limit your behavior to that which you feel morally comfortable doing. Have compassion for those who can’t understand your decision to do so, because it is likely in that case that they aren’t doing so, and that carries its own consequences.

I, for one, will no longer be sharing your journey moving forward, EHG. I wish you the best of luck.

6 Likes

Idk I guess my problem with it is that the ONLY entity you’re hurting is EHG. Tencent doesn’t care one bit if you quit due to their small low-equity investment. They have way bigger fish to fry. Their stake in EHG is equivalent to a small investor putting up a little money to help someone open a coffee shop. Maybe you don’t like that investor, perhaps you know that investor takes part in shady dealings or is a tax evader, but not going to the coffee shop because you disagree with that investor is just going to hurt the small business owner whose dream it was to open a coffee shop. That coffee shop still is going to 100% depend on each and every single customer walking through the door.

EHG will continue to operate exactly as they have been. This isn’t some hostile takeover, it’s still an indie dev, run by genuine people who are making an amazing game. Making decisions like not buying anything nestle, apple, and making it a point to buy primarily local stuff makes sense. You’re not hurting those megacorps which sucks, but on the plus side, you’re making a positive impact in your community by buying local. Here you’re just making a snap decision based on only a small amount of information, and it’s just self-serving. Pick and choose your battles, sure, but IMO this is the wrong one to choose.

2 Likes

I agree with most of what you said, and will address your key points.

1. EHG losing players will hurt EHG more than it hurts Tencent. Agreed. However, it’s worth noting that Tencent investments increasingly come with a PR backlash string attached, which means the departure of even a single long-time supporter sends a powerful message not just to EHG but to other developers considering a similar path. This is about incremental changes in the world, not revolution. And your coffee shop metaphor, while 100% valid, would fit squarely into the above as well.

2. “EHG will continue to operate exactly as they have been.” Not connected to my post, but I’ll address it anyway. That is impossible to predict, even by EHG staff, and also impossible to validate after the fact. Relationships of this nature can be insidious. Even without someone breathing down your neck and telling you what to do, expectations provide their own influence over your decisions, both in terms of monetization and in terms of content. I think this happened to GGG (but again, that is impossible to either prove or disprove, by anyone), and it’s certainly happened to many other products and services, especially where keeping China happy is concerned. This possibility by itself would not necessarily make me walk away, but it would make me considerably more hesitant about investing my time and emotional energy in a game designed to be played for years. “Breaking up” with PoE was hard enough (but absolutely the best decision I could have made).

3. “Here you’re just making a snap decision…” No. I am not. “…based on only a small amount of information…” I don’t believe that an >20% equity purchase amounts to a “small” investment, and nor do I believe that there is not enough information here to make me uncomfortable. “…and it’s just self-serving.” Well, yeah. As I said, we should all limit our behavior to that which we feel morally comfortable doing. It should go without saying that doing so will serve the self, and serve it well.

7 Likes

It’s <25% & yes, it’s fairly small. Certainly not enough to exert any form of direct control. Apart from that, two very well written, considered & not even slightly ranty/shouty post. Which is nice.

1 Like

This system is not meant to reward small business. Finding money where there literally is none when you’ve done your best to build something from the ground up is stressful and feels impossible. Sending a message can be so valuable in the right scenario, but the message you’re sending isn’t going to be impactful to a company that’s trying its best to just do what’s right for its future. You’re basically saying “Hey I know you’re between a rock and a hard place and felt like you made the best decision possible for all parties involved, but you’re getting punished for it anyway.” The system is designed for people with money to profit off of, so when there is a scenario where an investor is saying “Hey everyone else wants money AND control, we just want the money. Keep doing what you’re doing” it probably felt like the absolute best option.

Sometimes it feels like there just isn’t a choice, especially when you’re running out of money and you want so dearly to preserve the integrity of what you’ve built with as little outside control as possible. This kind of thinking is why I think the antiwork movement is so right in some ways and so wrong in others. Small businesses suffer, and it’s not just the ones that are doing a horrible job, because the only message that gets translated in all the nuance is “BOSSES BAD, BUSINESS BAD, WORKER RIGHT”, when in fact it’s just as hard to find a good worker as it is to find a good boss.

Incremental change can be so impactful, but people don’t think about the full picture. The big picture is that there are many ways to monetize a game, the most efficient and successful of which are p2w or microtransaction heavy games like Lost Ark or other f2p models which bleed every single ounce of money they possibly can from the player. Punishing a company for getting money from a questionable investor instead of doing that isn’t JUST saying “Hey, you do that and you lose my support”, it’s also saying “Hey, maybe you should have just gone the more mainstream successful F2P route because then you wouldn’t have needed investor money”. It’s not direct, but in a way the message is that it’s just not worth it anymore to do any sort of live-service model without succumbing to the most profitable way to run a game.

Instead of EHG going the way of Lost Ark, where people are literally dropping tens of thousands of dollars to see a little gear score go up, they’re going a more traditional way of “Let us prove to you we’re making an amazing product, then we will sell minimal cosmetics and just let the gameplay shine.” and because of that they’re going to make a tiny fraction of what these massively popular p2w games are making, and the only reason they made that sacrifice was to deliver a good product OVER something that makes money.

I agree with the part of your point #2 that says there is no way to prove that Tencents influence has gone further than GGG claimed it would, all we can do here is read what the owners of these studios are saying and trust it for as long as it seems true. I personally don’t think PoE has changed from the Tencent “takeover”, because I’ve seen the way Chris operates, and he is a VERY financially motivated director. He is running a business first, and his passion for PoE definitely drives the business but he doesn’t let it get in the way of the financials. I could tell this was the case many many years before the Tencent stuff.

3 Likes

At least I can know exactly what % based on public data. I’ve already posted about this. And for me it can mean between me picking one thing over the other. I wish I had more control. But thankfully not blizzard, they’re about to be bought out my Msoft ; ). I’ll take a 5% over a 25% any day.

That’s really sad to hear that Tencent has reached its corrupt fingers into my next favorite up and coming game. I had high hopes for the future of this game and gave happily to be a part of its growth. I will not support anything under the chinese communist party, they have taken over enough and people need to stop selling out to them, or regret the consequences later. I wish you all the best at EHG.

5 Likes

I can’t in good faith give money to a company, knowing that I’m almost directly supporting the oppressive Chinese government.
So similar to what I did with PoE - and sooner than what I hoped for with LE - I will NOT buy any packs or MTX. I`ll still play the game, but I won’t be supporting you directly.
That’s just my personal opinion.

4 Likes

I am not here to debate anything, just to leave my feedback. I purchased the game and have requested a refund due to the lack of ability to create and customize a character or even choose a gender. I know this is not a big deal to most people and may seem silly to some, but I just wanted to give feedback on why I chose to give it a pass. Best of luck to the game and its success.