Does anyone know how the storm totem attack works in detail?

I’m currently cooking on a Boardmans build and have noticed some inconsistencies in regards to my ward gain.

Usually I’m sitting on around 1.5k - 2.5k ward when I’m fighting enemies, but sometimes, out of nowhere, I’m getting a 50k ward spike.

Here’s what I figured out so far:

• Storm totem always targets enemies that are closest to it
  • having multiple enemies in range seems to stack the ward faster
  • there seems to be a wind-up on the attacks. The first few attacks are quite slow, until it starts to fire faster and faster
  • this wind-up seems to be happening for each minion, so if minion 1 has been winded up and minion 2 shows up, the wind up for minion 2 is slow again
  • it seems like the storm totem attacks multiple minions at the same time instead of one by one with each attack (meaning if there’s 2 minions, it attacks both of them at the same time, instead of one after the other)

All of these observations would somewhat explain why having multiple minions who don’t die immediately may cause the 40k ward, given that the windup has fully built up on each minion and they’re close together (standing on top of me basically).

Nevertheless, this phenomenon is rather inconsistent. It sometimes happens, sometimes it doesn’t at all. From my observations, I can make it happen around 10% of the time.

The tooltip states:

Summons a totem that casts lightning storms around nearby enemies.

There’s no description of this spell neither in lastepochtools nor ingame.

So what exactly is this lightning storm that the totem casts? How exactly does it work? What is being targetted? Why is there a wind-up?

I’m hopeful that we might get some developer explanation here since I’m heavily in love with the concept of Boardmans, but the three set slots that can’t be used for exalts / legendaries forces a high commitment on the storm totem mechanic, which doesn’t seem too worth it given the inconsitency :confused:

It’s an AoE spell hit.

I kinda figured that already, yeah. But it doesn’t seem to be targeted directly on a minion and it doesn’t yet explain the other points

It’s probably just still bugged.

From that thread:

Its bugged, every time you cast Storm Totem the set “stack”(for lack of a better word).The first totem gives you 21 ward, the second 42, the 3rd 63 etc…

Oh well, time to have some fun I guess haha

Thanks a lot!

Just tested it, it looks like they’ve fixed that specific interaction

I haven’t tested that at launch. Can you record a video of you playing and send it to me? It still sounds broken…

I can’t easily create videos, sorry ._.

In case anyone’s still curious about this at some later point in time: I’m giving it short and simple, Boardman’s sucks this patch cycle. The 21 ward per hit doesn’t even remotely compare to the 75 ward from invoker’s static touch.

Don’t try to cook up a boardman’s build until the storm totem interaction is being improved, it just isn’t worth the 3 locked (non-legendary) gear slots.

Coming back in here after my frustration with boardman’s: The ward spike actually didn’t have anything to do with this set at all. It was all coming from my double invoker’s static touch after all.

So yeah, boardman’s is fixed, Invoker’s isn’t lol