Dear Devs: Possible major breakthrough from mesa (openGL) community for fixing the "white flashes" and "map blinking" problems

Dear devs,

By now, I hope that you are informed about the “white flashes” and “map blinking” problems for Linux native client (OpenGL) + radeon cards. (I believe no one with nvidia card plays the game natively because of the bad performance - all nvidia owners prefer play it through proton).

For us, Radeon owners playing natively gives us 100% the performance we can get on Windows, so some of us tried to fix the bugs for you. By now, You should also know, that “invisible characters” bug was fixed by the community , so the last remaining problem of native client is “white flashes” and “map blinking” at some maps in combination with some mobs.

Thankfully, linux users never stopped pursuing the problem and a possible fix. Thanx to this thread in MESA forums, the culprit was found and there is a proposition for a possible fix.

I know that linux client is not (and possibly will never be) your priority. Can you at least PLEASE visit this thread here, where very smart people made renderdocs and apitraces and found the problem which could possibly be fixed by manipulating a specific shader? Can you at least help us PLEASE… we are so close to resolve the problem, so finally we have a fully playable native client?

Thanx

1 Like

Hi there,
since it works fine under DirectX / Windows I guess it is an issue with the unity hlslcc compiler which takes the DirectX HLSL shader and converts it to GLSL when exporting to OpenGL. Looking at their Github (Issues · Unity-Technologies/HLSLcc · GitHub) and also searching the Unity3D Forums it appears there are some issues.
Also some of the issues appear to be fixed in later releases of Unity and were not backported.
As far as I know LE is on an older Unity release.
Unfortunately I did not have time to try my SHADER_READ_PATH which worked for the char select screen to fix this issue so far.

2 Likes

Do we have any info on what Unity version was used to create the game and what is the current version that could potentially fix the problems?

Should we assume that EHG don’t use the latest version because it is too expensive or something like that?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.