Critical strike avoidance

I know it’s been said many times, but critical strike avoidance is … well, critical, for progressing in empowered monoliths. I proved this to myself just now. I was being one shot by Orobys (sp?) with 84% csa, but when I got it up to 100% I was able to defeat him at 100 corruption. My first kill.

sorcerer, 93

question: does anybody know how much damage crits do? is it double normal damage?

It is based on critical strike multiplier - which might be specific to individual enemies (I don’t know). Critical hit can be multiple times higher than regular hit.

3 Likes

I know your question was about how much they do (and @Mirpa answered that) but in case you weren’t aware, they’ve also added another defensive stat Armor and Reduced Damage taken from Critical Hits.

I like this stat for some characters depending on the circumstances. At level 85 you can also start equipping the boots that have that stat as an inherent affix and they get it almost up to 50% depending on your role. Using this stat also means you open up your Reign of Dragons Blessing slot which could be even more of a benefit to your character.

I like that we now have two choices for mitigating critical hits.

Also: just to add to Mirpa’s note, characters start at 200% Crit Multi. So if enemies also have this is there starting base it would mean they’re doing double damage before any modifiers they may have.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if 100% “less bonus damage taken from crits” would be the same as 100% crit avoidance? That’s how I interpreted the guide info but maybe I’m not understanding correctly.

No, it’s 100% less bonus damage. So the extra damage a crit would have inflicted is instead negated, but you still take the normal damage you would have taken had it not been a crit.

1 Like

That feels like the same thing as 100% crit avoidance. If you have it, you also only take regular damage and no bonus crit damage. So it seems both do the same thing.

EDIT: at least at 100% each. If you have 50% of each, then it’s a different matter.

2 Likes

So crit avoidance means you take zero damage from that hit? That’s pretty amazing and would explain why it’s harder to stack. I have 1 piece of gear with 99% less bonus damage but getting 100% crit avoidance is not as easy.

Crit strike avoidance is from my understanding a chance to completely avoid the damage from a crit altogether, where the reduction is that you are going to take the critical hit but reduce the amount of damage you do.

I know that there are some skills that have certain effects on crit so to avoid them would be to avoid that special effect also. If you only reduce the damage from a crit then you take the special effect even if you don’t take the extra damage from the crit.

This I personally can’t confirm but someone with more knowledge will.

That piece of gear is, I’m guessing, a 2-hand wpn because I don’t think anything else can get that high for one piece. And with that 2h you’re giving up potential defense affixes in an off-hand, that’s why 2hs have higher stats in general. Well, one of the reasons why. It’s a game of trade-offs. :smiley:

Yes correct! it’s a two handed ax. Always trading something for something else. True. Everytime I try to have a smart balanced build it just ends up not very strong and not very tanky either lol.

Just in case to confirm:

Critical Strike Chance Avoidance doesn’t turn them into a Dodge/Parry

It simply means that the attack isn’t a crit anymore and does normal hit damage instead.

3 Likes

Okay, so 100% of one or the other would be the same then. Thanks

and when you get crit it makes that bell sound right? (like you got your bell rung lol)

I thought that was on Stun, which is a chance based on % Health the hit does, so more likely on full crits. (See in-game guide ‘G’ to learn about the stun formula)

1 Like

I really don’t think this is correct…
When we mouse-over the Crit Avoid tooltip in the character sheet, it states Crit Avoid is a chance of downgrading a critical hit to a regular hit, meaning you still take regular damage.

M̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶“̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶n̶u̶s̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶t̶s̶”̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶u̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶c̶u̶l̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶i̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶S̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶1̶0̶0̶%̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶i̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶u̶m̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶.̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶3̶0̶0̶%̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶i̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶1̶0̶0̶%̶ ̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶n̶u̶s̶ ̶d̶m̶g̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶’̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶%̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶t̶.̶

That’s not how “less” works.

If you make enemies do 100% less crit damage, they still crit you, it just doesn’t do extra damage, regardless of their crit multi. It’s what the Fiery Dragon Shoes are built around.

1 Like

Yeah, I also just learned from a reddit post that there are no modifiers that gives monsters Crit Multiplier, they only get +Crit chance. So their crits are always the base 200% multiplier.

fk, I’m confused.
Ill just keep it simple and think more enemy crit bad, less enemy crit good.

2 Likes

The mechanic stil exists ingame, and they used to have a mod for it, so to be complete, it’s “less” and the mod does nothing (hence the removal) even though it’s the same as “decreased” in the current case.

just stay out of the puddle of crit :joy:

1 Like