Crashing on zone changes

Hello, I am getting frequent crashes when switching zones, to the point where I’m unable to progress in endgame timelines because I get set back two sequences every time it crashes.

I also sometimes load into an area and the screen is all black, except for UI elements. Example: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/360908464522002442/842275637988425758/unknown.png?width=1520&height=862

dxdiag system info:
DxDiag.txt (97.9 KB)

Crash log files, and some snippets:
Player Log: d3d11: failed to create 2D texture id=9018 width=2048 height=2048 mips=12 dxgifmt=72 [D3D error was 8007000e]

Error log: Write to location 000001B1C5FFFFE8 caused an access violation.
Crashes.zip (340.8 KB)

Edit: I also tried verifying Steam files last night, didn’t seem to help.

Hey, Welcome to the forums…

Sorry you are having hassles trying to play…

First thing I would’ve suggested was to verify the files in Steam but as you have done that, lets move on… (aside: sometimes the verification needs to be run more than once to make sure - no idea why).

The next step is to make sure that your system is fully patched and is running the latest drivers for anything… From the Dxdiag it looks like you are running the latest Graphics drivers but there is 19042 windows update that you could install… Its unlikely to the the primary cause but its always good to update just in case.

Another thing to try is to disable all overlays (Steam, nvidia etc) and do not run anything other apps while you are playing LE…

Based on your description of the problem and the fact that you have done the steam verification, you could be a victim of the performance/graphics vs stability issue that LE has right now… Try the following:

Temporarily set your game to 1080p, 60fps framerate limited (not vsync) with all in-game graphics quality settings to very low or disabled. Play the game and see if you can get past the zones and if the game is stable… If it is, then increase the resolution (nothing else) to what you want it to be… Test again… If its stable, then increase the Framerate limit (important - do not remove it)… Based on your dxdiag, I would set this to 90fps max for your 1070 or less depending on your resolution… You may have to take that down to 75fps if your GPU usage spikes up too high/gets too hot… Test again and see if things are still stable… If they are, then increase the in-game graphics quality settings one by one testing between changes… Based on your spec (and the current performance issues in LE) I would suggest that you do not go above Low - possibly Medium for any setting - especially if you run at 2560x1440 res… LE will nail your 1070 to the wall in a heartbeat unless you are conservative on the settings…

As a comparison to help you… players with high end CPUs running 3080s using 2560x1440 resolution set their framerates to 120fps and only use graphic settings on High (at most) or Medium. This seems to be the sweet spot for now in terms of performance, image quality and stability. Obviously once LE dedicates time to performance optimisation, then all of us can bump up the settings, but for now the conservative route is the “best”.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed response! To be honest, I thought the game was running fairly smoothly on high settings at 1440p, though I didn’t have temperature monitoring software open while running it, and it does seem like high settings were contributing to crashes. I’ve lowered settings to a mix of medium and low, as well as capping the FPS to a lower value (currently 75). GPU temps were around 76C before lowering these from medium to a medium-low hybrid.

I ran about 8 timeline sequences just now and didn’t run into any problems. Thanks again!

Np… Glad the solution worked for you…

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.