Crashing often

Hey there, I had recently started playing the game again. This certainly wasn’t a problem in the past, but I couldn’t even say when I last played, I know the rogue wasn’t available back then. My hardware shouldn’t have changed since then, but software/drivers certainly has.

As for the cause of the issue, I’m a bit lost. It doesn’t seem to be all that consistent, heck it might even be multiple things causing crashes at multiple points. I’ve crashed in the End of Time just standing around (going through menus, etc), I’ve crashed at pretty much every merchant, I’ve crashed while alt tabbing back in, I’ve crashed while fighting in the Temple of Eterra, I’ve crashed while fighting the Spreading Frost, etc. I’ve played with graphics settings and verified steam cache to no avail. Most of the crashes result in the screen freezing (no more visual updates), however the game is still interactive. If I continue trying to play while in this state, it will eventually properly crash to desktop. I’ve seen people post some files, so I’ll try that and someone can maybe tell me?

output_log.txt (818.6 KB)
Player.log (192.3 KB)
Player-prev.log (108.6 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (523 Bytes)
DxDiag-LastEpoch.txt (106.3 KB)

Hey there…

Sorry you are having hassles…

Thanks for posting the files - they provide a lot of info to start with so lets look at what is going on…

The player.log:

• The game is crashing on Direct3D11 texture creation. This is probably the main reason for the crashes you are experiencing. Barring issues with drivers & corrupted game files, this is usually caused by attempting to run the game at settings that are too high for your hardware & the beta unoptimised state of the game right now. See later for more. Based on this I would make sure that you have done a CLEAN / SAFE mode driver installation - do not do an nvidia upgrade as this will not fix corrupted drivers. Consider using something like DDU if you are not sure how to do a clean driver install. You have already done the Steam game file verification so no need to do it again.

The player-prev.log:

• Is not showing anything else that I can see… Although there is a specific error around “NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at ChanceToCastWhenHit.WhenHit” This is unlikely to be the cause of any crashing but some other bug with a skill proc. Just a side note for the devs.

Your le_graphicsmanager.ini - the game settings:

• LE is in beta and is generally unoptimised so it definitely has performance related instability - something I think you are experiencing.
  • Your CPU & memory are all fine but your 1070 GPU is probably struggling to maintain stability at the settings, resolution & framerate you are using. Based on my experience playing & helping people on this forum, you need to compromise something to enjoy more stability in the game.
  • For comparison I have a 1060 & thats about 40% slower than a 1070 and I have to run at 1080p, 60fps framerate limited and Low or very low settings. I can run higher but the game stabiliy suffers. By comparison, you are using 1440p, 144fps & High settings - putting far more than 40% more demand on your GPU.
  • Framerate limiting is very important in LE because the game will (in its unoptimised state) attempt to max out your GPU permanently and that causes the game to crash whenever it demands more of the GPU. It can also cause problems with thermals/cooling/powerdelivery at a system level see more later
  • There are many ways to find the sweet spot for LE on your hardware, but I would recommend dropping down to the lowest settings (1080p, 60fps, very low settings), testing and increasing first the resolution & then the quality to find something you are happy with… I recommend setting the Framerate limit to roughly half of what you have now… so around 75fps. Monitor your GPU usage and make sure that its at about 60-70% while doing nothing in town… that leaves headroom for busy in play moments…

Your dxdiag output (system and drivers):

• There is nothing obviously concerning about your system/hardware/drivers.
  • The diagnostic section at the end is showing some serious issues tho:
  • Last Epoch is showing as Hanging - this is expected based on your problem & the player.log.
  • VERY IMPORTANT: Your system has had at least 6 LiveKernel 141 events - this is a serious error and is usually related to system hardware in some way or another… If you do a google search you will see the possible reasons for this but it is NOT something that you should ignore. You need to find the reason for this. It can be anything from your components overheating, your power delivery unable to keep up with demand, corrupted drivers or even intermittent hardware failures. It could be something simple like a cable blocking a fan or dirt where it should not be… Based on your description of how you are trying to play LE and the settings you are using, i would guess that you might be overloading your GPU and it could be crashing due to power or even thermals… I would recommend you check your View Reliability History and see if there is anything logged that could be explaining what is causing these issues… I would also suggest that after some general physical maintenance, you stress test your machine while monitoring all components to see if something is failing or about to fail. PLEASE NOTE: This is irrespective of getting LE to work - you need to make sure your system is OK.

Last note about your problem:

• Because you have come back from playing for a while, there might be something odd happening with your old savegames/stash - as a test, please make sure to use a new character when trying to play the game based on the suggestions I made above…

Alright, thanks for the help so far. I’m starting to work through this. So far I’ve only capped the frames to 60 fps in focus 30 in background. But I did get some hardware monitoring stuff and triggered another full crash.
Player.log (138.1 KB)
^There should be the log of that. Let me know if there’s another file somewhere. Looks like the same issue reported last time.

As for temps, what would you consider to be problematic? From my observations my GPU never goes over 71C. Even running Furmark, it took it 8 minutes to reach 70C and stayed steady for another 7 minutes. Observing my CPU, it spiked up to 80C during gameplay.

And just some additional info, my GPU is overclocked a bit (115 core, 550 memory), but hasn’t presented problems since I originally did that overclocking years ago. I also experienced a power outage a while back that damaged one of my bigger case fans. I had it running on low since dust got into the sleeve it seemed like (and would sound like a lawnmower from the wobble), moved it up to max again and is fine for now (no wobble), but that might go out the window on reboot. Looks like my gpu does sit at 100% utilization from the moment I load my character up too (sitting in end of time, not moving).

Guess I’ll go wipe the driver and reinstall now.

<----Edit---->
I went into safemode with DDU, removed the driver->Reboot->install latest nvidia driver->reboot. I did change some settings with my nvidia control panel. The game feels like it runs smoother, but it’s still crashing. I have to wonder if ‘d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=128 h=2 d3dfmt=10 [887a0005]’ is just what it spits out after the screen freezes. But /shrug. Here’s this log…
Player.log (219.2 KB)

Ok…

The first player.log managed to log a little more about the crash but its still a Direct3D error CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface. Which is the same end result…

Temperature wise - preface: I personally always want my systems running cooler than recommneded - for application / system stability, noise and longevity of components. I overspec my hardware needs and under spec application/game settings to this end. My comments below are obviously dictated by my personal requirements.

1070 max is 94 degrees C. 70 sounds like the cooling is working so it should be ok. Personally I like to keep my GPU less than 70. I dont recommend overclocking. The issue specific to unoptimised games like LE is that even if the cooling is working you do not want the GPU to be maxed out permanently - this WILL cause instability. By example, stress tests like Furmark have warnings specifically about this so if this is happening in a game its not good and the game needs to be restricted in some way.

Your CPU is notorious for being difficult to cool but it doesnt look like you are running overclocks … the tjunction of the chip is 100 max so its within spec but personally I wouldnt want it running at 80+.

Case fan issues could be a problem - remember that other than the CPU & GPU needing cool air, other components also need to be kept cool so if the interior of your case isnt getting enough airflow, other things could be sweating - even a single overheating mosfet chip (handles power delivery on the motherboard) could cause problems…

Power outage could also have messed with your PSU… they are usually robust but if something managed to mess a fan up, it could have affected other things… and a GPU maxed out will take 150W or more (overclock) could be putting strain on your PSU… Your CPU is also 5ghz turbo so its going to be hungry for power too (it takes 95w at base clocks).

Player.log after driver install is the exact same error as before so no help there…

Some more things to test:

LE shouldnt be maxed out doing nothing in town (no skills procing, inventory/stash not open etc). If you have the framerate limit enabled (check checkbox) and at 60fps then it shouldnt be maxed at 100% unless you have the quality too high at your 1440p. Changing the framerate limit should have a very noticeable affect on the GPU usage - you should see the difference immediately - if not, then there is something else wrong.

Double check that your driver is not overriding the in-game setttings in any way… maybe vsync is enforced at the driver level and defaulting to your 144hz monitor…

Please test for stability at the lowest settings I mentioned above - this will help confirm the performance related instability problem (and confirm that your GPU is idling in game at a decent usage %). 1080p, 60fps, very low quality with all special features disabled… The game should be rock solid stable at this config… if its not, then the problem is more involved…

If you would humor me, please do one last Steam Game File verification - just to make sure the install is still ok - sometimes crashes can mess up the game files.

Alright, let’s keep going.
Verified files again. No issues.
Loaded game up using the very low preset. In end of time, usage hovered around 80%. Lowered to 1080p, hovers around 50%. Did notice a couple spikes up to 100% during combat (majelka rooftops area I believe?), but never crashed in like 6 hours of gameplay. So that’s cool. I did see a number of errors in the log though.
Player.log (2.0 MB)
So I guess now I start adding things back slowly until boom.
Now on that livekernel error you mentioned on your first reply. Is there a more noticeable way to view those than running a dxdiag?

Oh yea, I did get a couple crazy physics glitches from the ragdolls on some corpses in the desert areas too.

:wink:

Ok… Sounds like the performance issue is the one causing the hassle here… All you have to do is find the sweet spot that works for your hardware… The key thing is that at your native resolution, even a small change can be very impactful… Personally I would probably run the higher resolution at lower quality and framerate limits - LE is nicer to play if you can see the mobs coming sooner… ;-)… and I am willing to wait for them to optimise the game to enjoy the eye-candy…

Just keep monitoring your GPU usage… idle/doing nothing around 60-70% should be ok… Spikes to 100% are expected in busy moments and perfectly normal/ok - the key is that you dont want it maxed out all the time - thats when problems happen.

LiveKernel events are really hard to trace - I am sure you figured that from a google search - the Windows Event viewer & View Reliability History Tool can give you a way to see them (dxdiag just copies the last 10 (?) events into its report). Unfortunately the only way to be sure of the cause is to monitor & test step by step - even going so far as to swap out hardware components just to check.

I have had this a few times over the years on various hardware… One turned out to be a PSU that developed a flaky a power rail, another an old ATI GPU that would fail whenever it felt like it while playing Sims… had one on an old laptop that the thermal paste had failed (but that was easy to trace as the CPU was getting too hot) - the simplest one I have ever had was a messed up motherboard driver & bios version.

Ragdoll… Thats a bug that the devs know about… Apparently something to do with certain 3d models… Not crash causing…

Player.log errors… Those look new “Renderer XXXXX is registered with more than one LODGroup” - cant say I have ever had them myself… hopefully just transient issues that can happen in the beta… Those kinds of things usually go away after a restart or game file verification… If you notice these happening in the same map/area then it could be something specific like a bug - if you notice something visual during play then it might be worth posting that as a separate bug (in the bug section) for the devs to see…

Alrighty, looks like we finally got ourselves a new crash. Been playing on 60 fps, 1080p, High settings. This hovers around 70% usage which is also where it was abouts when this occurred. I see quite a few different errors here as well throughout the file. From the sounds of it, I died in the middle of combat too, so that’s fun.
Player.log (957.4 KB)

Same main errors… D3D11, Rendertexture, CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface… addtional ones around buffers but these are similar in that they are still part of the texture failures/GPU memory issues.

My recommendation is always increase resolution before quality and use Framerate to fine tune things… Every single time I have helped someone having crashes that are d3d11 related, they always have more stability if they stay away from the High/Very High/Ultra quality settings… Most of the time its people with older, yet still powerful GPUs that can handle other games at higher quality so they expect a beta unoptimised LE to behave the same when it cannot…

I can run at High on my 1060 @ 60fps 1080p… but I either get in-game freezes/spikes or random crashes when loading into a new map and my GPU idles closer to 80% usage.

I would recommend you go the opposite route with your setup… Try the higher resolution at lower graphic quality (and be careful of the special effects like shadows/AA/ grass etc). You have already confirmed that very low quality is stable, so now I would suggest very low but at a higher resolution…

At the moment the only thing we have is messing with configs to see whats the most stable for our hardware… When the devs can dedicate time to optimising everything (and removing debug slowing everything down) for performance, then I expect that this kind of problem will become less of an issue… but for now we just have to work around it.

I was hesitant to try the higher resolution on very low as that sits at 80% usage in comparison to the lower resolution on high that sits at 70% usage given our conversation.

Also had another crash still using that high 1080p. The log is rather…large actually (can’t upload here, 5.8mb). Particularly given how short of a time it’s been. I noticed a lot of slowdowns during the gameplay too. It seems to trigger a lot in the arena, might just be the sheer number of enemies on screen. But I also suspect the issue might be related to the Marsh Beetle enemy in particular as heavy slowdowns that shot usage up to 100% happened when they were present. Though they also just appear in large numbers. I see the following errors in that list…

• d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=128 h=2 d3dfmt=10 [887a0005] <—crash after this—>
  • d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x1 mode 3 size 343480) [0x887A0005]
  • D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (1920 x 1080 fmt 9 aa 1), error 0x887a0005 (Filename: Line: 207)
  • Particle System is trying to spawn on a mesh with zero surface area
    (Filename: Line: 1682) <—Over 50,000 instances of this error—>
  • [Addressables] Object with name: ArenaBarrel wasn’t preloaded In Zone Arena_6_Bell.
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘PostCamModifier’) is missing!
    (Filename: Line: 334)
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘GRAPHICSSETUP’) is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘!ftraceLightmaps’) is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘TouchReactSystem’) is missing!
  • [Addressables] Object with name: ArenaBarrel wasn’t preloaded In Zone Arena_6_Ancient.
  • NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at AbilitySync.recieveLocationDetector (UnityEngine.Vector3 startLocation, UnityEngine.Vector3 targetLocationOffset, UnityEngine.Vector3 targetLocation) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AbilitySync.sendLocationDetector (UnityEngine.Vector3 startLocation, UnityEngine.Vector3 targetLocationOffset, UnityEngine.Vector3 targetLocation) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AbilitySync.InitAbilitySync () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    (Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)
  • Shader ‘MysticArsenal/MysticHSV’: fallback shader ‘Particles/Additive’ not found
  • The referenced script (MeshDecimator.Unity.DecimatedObject) on this Behaviour is missing!
    (Filename: Line: 199)
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘T1_Gloves’) is missing!
    at UnityEngine.Transform.get_position () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at Actor.position () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at ChanceToCastWhenHit.WhenHit (System.Single damage, HitEvents hitEvents, Actor attacker) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at ProtectionClass+DamageActionWithAttacker.Invoke (System.Single damage, HitEvents hitEvents, Actor attacker) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at ProtectionClass.ApplyDamage (DamageStats damageStats, DamageSource damageSource, System.Single damageModifier, Actor attacker, System.Boolean delayDamageNumber) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at DamageStatsHolder.applyDamage (ProtectionClass enemyProtection) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at SummonTracker+MinionDeathAction.Invoke (Summoned summon) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at HitDetector.hitActor (Actor actor) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at RelayDamageEvents.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.Common.VisibleVegetationCellSelector.Dispose () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.ColliderSystem.ColliderSystemPro.DisposeColliderSystem () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.ColliderSystem.ColliderSystemPro.SetupColliderSystem () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at SummonTracker+MinionDeathAction.Invoke (Summoned summon) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro.AddVegetationStudioCamera (AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationStudioCamera vegetationStudioCamera) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro.AddCamera (UnityEngine.Camera aCamera, System.Boolean noFrustumCulling, System.Boolean renderDirectToCamera, System.Boolean renderBillboardsOnly) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at GraphicsBackend.GraphicsConfigurationProcessor.ApplyVegetationSettings () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at GraphicsBackend.GraphicsConfigurationProcessor.ApplyInLoadedScene (System.Boolean wasDirty) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at UnityEngine.Events.UnityAction`2[T0,T1].Invoke (T0 arg0, T1 arg1) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager.Internal_SceneLoaded (UnityEngine.SceneManagement.Scene scene, UnityEngine.SceneManagement.LoadSceneMode mode) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro.SetupVegetationItemModels () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro.SetupVegetationSystem () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationSystem.VegetationSystemPro.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
  • ‘filter’ is null!
    Did you add the ‘CapitalizationManager’ to the current scene?
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)
  • ‘filter’ is null!
    Did you add the ‘PunctuationManager’ to the current scene?
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)
  • ‘filter’ is null!
    Did you add the ‘DomainManager’ to the current scene?
  • Failed to create agent because it is not close enough to the NavMesh
    (Filename: Line: 648)
  • Renderer ‘UCX_SM_Coal_01a_LOD0’ is registered with more than one LODGroup (‘SM_Coal_01a’ and ‘SM_Coal_01a (4)’).
    (Filename: Line: 185)
  • Failed to create agent because it is not close enough to the NavMesh
    (Filename: Line: 648)
  • [FMOD] Please add an ‘FMOD Studio Listener’ component to your a camera in the scene for correct 3D positioning of sounds.
  • The referenced script (ShaderPainterObjectID) on this Behaviour is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘Rock’) is missing!
  • A scripted object (probably ShaderPainterObjectID?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 68 bytes)
    Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?
    (Filename: Line: 2337)
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘CharacterSelectCamera’) is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘’) is missing!
  • DontDestroyOnLoad only works for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.
    (Filename: Line: 606)
  • The referenced script (NetworkedDebug) on this Behaviour is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘NetworkedDebugManager’) is missing!
  • The referenced script (RuntimeDevMode) on this Behaviour is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘DevModeWindow’) is missing!
  • A scripted object (probably RuntimeDevMode?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 84 bytes)
    Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?
    (Filename: Line: 2337)
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘GUI’) is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘SceneLoader’) is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘GeneralGameManager’) is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘AbilityManager’) is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘ChatTextTagged’) is missing!
  • The referenced script (WFX_LightCurves) on this Behaviour is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘Point light’) is missing!
  • The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘fireSpray’) is missing!

I think that’s all the unique errors I see. I guess let me know if I should split this up or upload it elsewhere.

Whatever resolution turns out to be the most stable is what you should default to - if thats 1080p then so be it… The key here is not to use the High(er) qualities if they are proving to be unstable… Lets face it, the 1070 isnt going to give you stellar performance with the game in its current state… I’ve played over 1500h in LE at 1080p, very low settings and the game is great and honestly looks fine in the heat of battle… Occassionally I will pop up the quality to look at new graphics in a patch, or increase the fps cap to test out performance improvements, but I always go back to very low for stability…

A lot of what you have included here are “normal” debug messages - i.e. everyone has them while playing - 80% of them are in my own logs… its mostly just debug info that the devs probably havent updated/removed from previous patches or changes they made to the game… The “missing” & “null” ones are examples of this… Others refer to known issues with specific maps (like the Navmesh ones) or even skill special effects or grass in a map… Those are all common to see and dont tend to point to any catastrophic issues…

Thankfully the devs do read these threads and they do review the logs people put up. Nothing is wasted…

The game has always had (in the year or so I have played) and continues to have performance related issues around mob density - while not specifically mentioned, a lot of the performance improvements in the patches are related to this issue and you will also see that a lot of changes to skills proccing and minion / pet skills are updated to address performance issues (e.g. dropping the max number of minions that can be summoned or reducing the number of secondary skill procs that happen or scaling back on a skills special effects/or lingering animations)… All things that put a lot of load on the game… Quite a few changes have also been implemented because of the complexity of the coming Multiplayer - just imagine 4 player chars all summoning 100 skeleton minions at the same time… :wink:

There are definitely specific mobs that cause issues - while they did get a hotfix, the new Chapter 9 mobs especially have not had a performance update yet like some of the older ones so there are definitely instances where they do drop performance - compounded if there are many of them all procing skills at the same time… I monitor fps and gpu usage while I play just to see whats going on if I notice a framerate drop and this kind of thing is very noticeable…

Thankfully the devs have addressed past issues like this so its simply a matter of time for them to get around to fixing things…

Looks like those kernel errors are directly related to when Last Epoch causes the crash or it’s causing Last Epoch to crash, whichever. I haven’t had any trigger without any Last Epoch crashes. Not sure what that implies. But at least I know it seems to be related to being at 100% gpu usage for extended periods and can just avoid that scenario.

Thanks for all the help @vapourfire

Good that you have found the Kernel errors… If its the LE maxing out the GPU and this is subsequently causing the GPU to crash, then its obviously not ideal but at least its not something more serious and you can work around it.

Hopefully this will be less of an issue when the devs get around to dealing with the performance - might not solve everything for those of us with older hardware but even if they cannot improve fps etc, more stability would be good.

I would love them to deal with this, but I would also like them to get the game more complete first and they (EHG) simply dont have the resources to do everything as quickly as a lot of us would like…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.