Crashes when starting the game / loading a location

Tried:

• Fix the game through steam / reinstall
  • Reinstalling drivers
  • Minimum graphics settings and 60 fps lock
  • Closed all applications and restarted the computer

There are no problems with RAM and video card, problems only with this game.
Technical support is silent, so I decided to duplicate the topic on the forum.
Thanks.
le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)
Player.log (28.6 KB)
Player-prev.log (49.0 KB)
DxDiag.txt (99.3 KB)Crashes.zip (306.9 KB)

Welcome to the forum.

The player.log and player-prev.logs (including those in the crash logs) show the following errors:

• d3d11: failed to create 2D texture
  • d3d11: failed to create 2D texture shader resource
  • d3d11: failed to create buffer
  • D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture
  • D3D shader create error for vertex shader
  • d3d11: failed to lock buffer

and

• Could not allocate memory: System out of memory! Trying to allocate: 134217896B with 16 alignment. MemoryLabel: GfxDevice
  • Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
    Trying to allocate: 8388608B with 16 alignment. MemoryLabel: HashMap

In addition to this, the crash logs all have various errors that point to the underlying game engine - Unity, crashing with access violations and other errors on the UnityPlayer.dll.

Looking at the Dxdiag diagnostics - end of the dxdiag file - the LE crashes are recorded but you also have crashes on GameOverlayUI.exe - this is the Steam Overlay component.

There are also execution issues with Win_10_Tweaker.exe - I am not sure what this application is doing in the background and from the looks of a google search, its one of those windows customisation apps that if not working properly could negatively affect other applications expecting more normal windows setup. You may have changed a setting that is causing problems for the Unity game engine.

The logs dont store what specific game settings you may have had active at the time the logs were created so I cannot be sure, but typically the errors like these in the logs are normally a result of trying to run the game at settings it cannot handle (in its current unoptimised beta state) on your specific hardware.

This can be caused by higher resolution/quality settings, unlimited (or too high limits on) framerate. It can also be caused by problem GPU drivers or some other underlying GFX issues (like temperature or power issues or hardware failure). There may even be some application or overlay running that is causing this.

Your description of crashing when loading a location is one of the primary signs of the performance instability issue as its when the game is loading and unloading the map information to and from the CPU & GPU - i.e. high usage moment specificaly realted to graphics.

I also see that you are using vsync in the game - this is known to cause various problems in some older setups - its better to use the in-game framerate limit instead - yes, they serve a similar purpose but vsync can sometmes cause issues.

I recommend:

1. Make sure your windows OS is fully patched and there are no outstanding optional updates that apply to your hardware are installed.

2. Reinstall your GPU driver but make 100% sure to use a CLEAN installation not upgrade. Or use something like DDU to do this. Upgrade installs do not always resolve gpu driver issues.

3. Make 100% sure that your GPU driver configurations are set to default with no overriding happening at a driver level. This is very important.

4. Set your settings to use the in-game framerate limit - set it at 60fps (ie… match your 60hz monitor). Dont use vsync.

5. Double check that all your quality settings are on very low and chose the lowest possible setting (or disable) for any other special effects like grass, antialiasing.

6. Disable Steam Overlay for LE.

7. Make sure that whatever settings that related to graphics/GPUs changed by WinTweaker are reverted back to defaults. DO NOT RUN this app while testing LE.

8. Do not run any other applications/temporarily disable anything else while testing LE.

9. Monitor your system - GPU & CPU while playing especially things like temperatures and usage. You can initially do this via Task Manager or Resource Monitor but things like HWmonitor also work - from other player testing, they dont affect LE. Make sure that your GPU/CPU are running as expected, normal clock speeds, not overheating. Check what usage levels you are getting - at the lowest settings, your system shouldnt be maxing out for any extended period of time. This would be a bad sign.

10. View Reliability History on your system and check what other errors you are getting and see about resolving them. There may be errors reported there that could indicate what is going on - i.e. errors that are not in the dxdiag report. If neccessary, consider running some system tests to see if components are running properly - memory , drives etc.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.