Crashes leading to BSOD crash and lost character + stashes + gold

error.log (72.2 KB)
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, or if it should be in bug reports or what not, but anyways. I had semi-consistent crashing when loading between zones on the most recent update (every 2-4 zones it would just crash to desktop during the loading screen), then finally after this happened a few times the computer fully froze up in the loading screen, and I then got a BSOD. After I restarted and logged back in I noticed that that character is no longer there, and I have lost all of my stash tabs… including both the contents of them, in addition to the physical tabs themselves and all the gold which I had… I have tried to find a save backup, but unfortunately I only used the standalone launcher, and don’t have a steamcloud backup, and it appears as though there is no real backup in the Last Epoch saves folder. Not really looking for a solution to this, but rather posting that this is apparently still occurring (loss of character/stash data). Hopefully the uploaded crash and system data may be of use to help solve this.

Cheers!
error.log (72.2 KB)
DxDiag.txt (93.8 KB)

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

This is the correct place to post about crashes.

All files on windows should be in:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games

Nothing is online right now so if the files are corrupted or not found then there is no recourse to get your character back unfortunately… As you correctly mentioned, there is no Steam Cloud backup through the standalone launcher. Unforutnately there is always a chance that your saves and the global save (with the stash info) can get corrupted when the game crashes… Personally, with any beta game, I manually backup the savegames folder before I play - that way the worst I can lose is a single session of play.

About your crashing… the description you provide is usually related to graphics settings related instability OR corrupted game files…

I am not sure if the standalone launcher verifies files but it should patch better than via Steam. You would need to look at the launcher log files to see if its reporting any install/patch problems… If it does, then you may need to consider a clean reinstall of the game to make sure everything is fine on that side.

You have not provided your le_graphicsmanager.ini file so I cannot tell what in-game settings you are using but based on your hardware (GPU 2014, CPU 2012) you should probably not be running the game on anything higher than low in-game settings to have any chance at a stable experience. Even people using the latest 30 series GPUs and ryzen CPUs have to make some concession on in-game settings to maintain decent stability and those of us with older hardware even more so. Obviously when EHG get around to dealing with performance issues then we should benefit but for now we have to be conservative.

Some things to try:

1. Using the latest and greatest graphics driver is not usually the best thing to do especially if you have older hardware - there are quite a few instances of people using the latest and greatest drivers and getting issues where there were none before… Personally with my 1060, I tend to lag a few months behind unless there is a specific reason to update. I am still using 461.40 and I believe the newer ones are 466. You may need to consider rolling back your 2021-06-08 driver to something older and more stable - dont do it right now but consider it if no other solutions work.

2. Temporarily set your game to the following exact settings: 1080p, 60fps framerate limited, ALL in-game settings to very low or disabled (whatever is the lowest option). Play the game and see if you get the same 2-4 zone crashing… If you dont, then you have the known graphics instability issue. Personally with your hardware, I would keep these same settings if they are stable… I may even drop the framerate limit even lower - monitor your GPU usage and if its over 80% most of the time, then drop the framerate 5fps and see… I personally like my GPU to average no more than 60-70% usage…

3. Monitor your system - its old hardware now so things like thermals are VERY important for stability… watch usage - if things are maxing out then thats a problem… If things are getting hotter than they should then thats very much a problem and can cause instability - especially when a game like LE maxes a GPU…

4. Make sure you are not using any other applications while playing LE… temporarily disable or do not run anything while testing LE… things like overlays and any graphics processing (video capture etc) are especially important to disable for now… Even things that do not seem relevant should be temporarily disabled… People have even had problems with Teamviewer and Citrix while playing LE so its best to disable everything while testing for issues.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.