Crafting Changes coming to Eternal Legends Update (0.8.4)

Excellent. Very excited. I know myself and a lot of others made the same points you do at the beginning and it’s good to see the responsiveness. I’m sure this was not an easy system to overhaul!

The existing crafting was functional and did serve its purpose but the challenge you had was convincing people to avoid basic human psychology. I’m glad you re-examined things.

Not really the same, to give an example, on an item with 30 FP but perfect implicit/rare mod so you want to craft on it, General crafting roll is between 1-15 FP cost meaning if you get 3 10+ rolls in a row(and all 3 miss the 25% glyph chance), item bricked whereas if you use this glyph you have a guaranteed 5-6 crafts even if you have the worst luck and they are all 10+ rolls.

Hope is basically either you get lucky or don’t. This one always reduces cost but its negligible for lucky FP rolls and really reduces the impact of unlucky rolls.

Yeah this is exactly what I was going for thanks!

To clarify it can give +2 tiers. “+1 tier to a random affix” includes the affix being upgraded, just like it does now, so you can end up gaining 2 tiers of the affix you’re crafting on.

9 Likes

damage, 7 different damage elements which only differ by skill colour. Why have so many different types?

Each one is tied to one or more ailments (like ignite or chill) that give some extra meaning. Additionally, there is always the mechanic devs can use so that some enemies may take reduced damage from a specific element. Also, if you only have 2 elements then it gets visually boring and getting 5% fire resistance isn’t nearly as exciting as getting 35% fire resistance (since you would need to maintain a relative amount of effort for resistance stacking).

defences, dodge/block/glancing blow are RNG-based, armour/resists are both deterministic, why have multiple options for each RNG/deterministic? And, why have affixes that do the same thing? Flat/% hp, both add hp, one of them could be removed, same for flat/% dodge or flat/% armour.

Dodge is binary, thus arguably the antithesis of deterministic. Since you can have multiple layers of defense, mixing RNG and deterministic can add excitement without you being 1-shot. I will agree with you that flat and % modifiers are redundant UNLESS flat modifiers are adding to a base that is then modified by % modifiers. I haven’t finished reading all of the mechanics for the game yet so I am still unsure how that works.

skills, the Sentinel alone has 5 different melee skills that all masteries can access (+1 locked behind each mastery), surely they’re all “very same-y & redundant”? Why not simplify it down to 1 melee & 1 spell? That would definitely be the way to go IMO… All other classes are similar in that regard.

I was playing around with Dammitt’s character builder and noticed that the sentinal has way too many abilities that do the same thing. This is particularly true of the void knight class that basically forces you into a hybrid or spell-based build from what I could tell. I tried making a void knight with an aoe physical attack, strong single-target physical attack, a defensive skill, a utility skill, and a skill that will help with mana. I found a staggering lack of options for single-target melee attacks (throwing didn’t appeal to me or function well with this build) and mana management despite having access to so many skills between the base class and the master class. I am definitely up for making changes so that distinct builds work for single-target, aoe, physical, magical, and hybrid builds.

Regarding the changes to the crafting, it seems mostly positive. However, the odds (1-15) on an item that has 30 forging potential does not feel deterministic AT ALL. You could get 2 crafts or 30 crafts. That is a STAGGERING disparity. I would personally like to have some relative idea of how many crafts I will be able to attempt in order to accurately devise a strategy for crafting each item. If it were 5-8 then I would know that at max I have 6 crafts and at minimum I have 4. Something with a bit less extreme RNG would make things easier to plan for and adjust. In my humble opinion, there are already plenty of RNG variables to account for (namely type and value of affix) - so having wild RNG on how much we can modify is too much. Why bother adding an affix when you still need to upgrade other ones? It would just push me to do far less general crafting while I become super picky about having amazing items to craft on.

Also, for those that mentioned that Gambler - with the issue I just mentioned, if I wanted to craft endgame gear then I would 100% use the gambler EVEN WITH a 25%-50% penalty to forging potential because that could STILL give me 10 more rolls on an item type and effectively allow for a brute-force crafting method. Using the Gambler would be the superior option at least 90% of the time.

So can we have the same affix sealed and normal twice on an item?

30% inc. health body armour?
20% inc. health helmet?
+100 & 10% inc. health belt?

I think I’d rather it be cumulatively more. Like the more affix levels, the more it uses or the wider the range gets.

This is how it works. The average is around 1-15, but it varies based on tier for affix shards, and is also different for different runes. For example upgrading to tier 2 costs 1-10 forging potential and upgrading to tier 5 costs 1-22. Keep in mind that these exact values are subject to change as we’re not completely finished tuning the system.

2 Likes

First time in my life i will be a lucky gamer … my dices always rolled LOW in all my gaming time.

(i won the roll for my world of warcraft ( Cataclysm) legendary weapon with a 13 … thx to the guy that rolled an 8…).

Wow, this goes a lot further than I’d expected. I’d been pessimistic about the future of crafting but this seems really great. I’m impressed.

It looks like we still have the weird situation where drops with 3-4 high tier affixes are unintuitively much less likely to be useful than those with 1-2. Glyph of Chaos is something but it’s still a fairly harsh RNG gauntlet just to get these items through the starting gate. I understand why you’re conservative about a completely targeted Glyph of Removal, but imo it could be properly costed and work well under the Forging Potential system. It would also be interesting to have a Chaos-type glyph with a more controlled effect (eg. randomise within a category of similar affixes, ailment->ailment, class specific->class specific, etc.), especially if the number of affix options keeps increasing in the future.

Cannot be bothered reading through the whole thread, to busy, so i will ask the question.

What happens to the items that are already fractured in our equipped slots? will they be reverted or are they just still fractured?

Items from before 0.8.4 that were fractured or had very high instability will have 0 forging potential.

2 Likes

OH BOY WE GOT OURSELVES A MIRROR!!!
Mirror tier items are now gonna be a thing.

Also the chaos scroll is not that good because there are too many affixes that it may roll, maybe if it also reduced the cost a little.

You can mirror an item ONCE.

not 100 times like in POE.

1 Like

Still it is close enough to be used only for the HIGHEST value items

Well the highest value items will be legendaries and those can most likley not be crafted in the forge … :wink:

no, highest value will be near perfect forged items

The only ailment that’s tied to an element is freeze, which requires a skill with the cold tag (& therefore base freeze rate) to be able to be applied. Every other ailment can be applied by any skill with any damage element tag. So that argument is just plain wrong (unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying).

They could & there are a couple of mobs that do have this, one of the scorpions takes less physical damage, but even that doesn’t have a particularly bit impact, since it’ll take 3 hits to kill rather than 2.

Agreed, which is why I said that you’d keep the skill graphical effects. Or at least I said that in a chat with Heavy…

True, but they could just inflate the numbers so you’d still get “35% resist” but need (75% x 7) 525"%" to have as much effect as resists do at the moment. There would be no mechanical/numerical difference compared to getting a (35% / 7) 5% resist. Though it would look very odd getting 525"%" resist & it would confuse people. I know I was being silly/extreme in my argument, I was just trying to get Heavy to see that there are already several instances of the thing (duplication) that he decries for glyphs.

It works how you’d expect it to. If you have 1,000 flat dodge from gear/etc and 100% increased dodge then you’ll end up with 2,000 dodge to be converted to a % chance to dodge.

1 Like

Sorry this is … weird :roll_eyes:

We dont know what exactly legendary items are
We dont know what they do
we dont know how to get them
we dont know how powerfull and rare they are

But you know their relativ value. :astonished:

But ofc. we will see copies of double t7 stuff … but only ONE copy not 100 of the exact same item like mirror enables you to make.

I don’t think 1 of ~15 is too harsh RNG. It is pretty doable. Besides in many cases you have options for example - Void res or Elemental res. Both could be good for your build.

about 15-17 affixes depending on a slot. Only jewelry has 25-26 options. Which is bad and I really hope the devs will see to it.

Even “second best options” are good rolls.

You want your T7 spellcrit staff with
a) its natural +10 meele void damage
b) your dream crit multi roll
c) % ele damage

So even a c) is a “hit” even if its not the best.