Cosmetic Shop Beta | Coming in Rising Flames

Update: Travelers, We heard you loud and clear and have a new update.

Link to updated Statement: Response to MTX Store

Please note, the below statement is no longer valid. Please see our update at the above link.

Hey Travelers!

If you’ve been waiting for your chance to put a little extra shine on your favorite hero of Eterra then today’s announcement is for you - Rising Flames brings the beta launch of Last Epoch’s Cosmetic Store and our new Supporter Packs. We are very excited to bring some of these awesome upgrades to our community for the first time, and we can’t wait to see all the amazing work our designers have created - wielded by, conjured by, and running alongside the Travelers of Eterra.

As fans of the genre ourselves, we know that Cosmetic Stores come in all shapes and sizes, and so they inspire a wide variety of opinions from players. We get that. So let us take a moment to share our thoughts and guiding principles below.

Why are we introducing a Cosmetic Shop?

It has always been our goal at EHG to develop a great ARPG for the community to enjoy for the next 10 years. We want to deliver new content multiple times each year and continue to lift expectations and push limits of what a great ARPG can be. To be transparent, this is an expensive goal. Content production at this magnitude is a multi-million dollar annual development expense, with millions more in sever expenses each year.

The Cosmetic Store is our way of introducing a fully optional, power-free, and truly feels-good way for our fans to unlock cool new stuff, and support the development of Last Epoch so we can create great content in Eterra year after year.

Will there be pay for power in Last Epoch?

No. We’ve been saying this from day one, and it won’t change. Pay for power, no matter how little of it is introduced, simply breaks the spirit of the game. We will not be offering a head start to those who pay more, we won’t be offering a battle pass stacked with power-based currency, or anything else that gives you a competitive advantage.

Every purchase in our shop will be purely cosmetic and entirely optional.

Supporter Packs

After the launch of 1.0 each new Cycle will bring with it a new set of supporter packs for our players to enjoy. With Rising Flames, we are kicking off our Pre-Launch Support Packs - the “Eternal” Series. These packs feature exclusive Portals, Backs, and Pets from each of the four Eras in Eterra.

When new supporter packs are launched, those packs will only be available during the current Cycle in which they were introduced. For the Eternal series, this timeframe will last from the launch of Rising Flames until 30 days beyond the launch of 1.0.

Supporter packs offer exclusive cosmetics to players joining us for a specific cycle (these items are not available in the shop). Once a given set of supporter packs retire, players will no longer be able to purchase those cosmetics. We will certainly give our community notice when a series of supporter packs are no longer available for purchase.

Supporter packs will be available directly through Steam, or through the in-game store which redirects to a Steam-purchase overlay. We also intend to have them available for purchase through our web store in the future.

Cosmetic Shop

The Cosmetic Shop will be available in-game either by using the hotkey (by default “U”), or through the menu. The in-game store will allow you to filter what kind of cosmetic you’re looking for, and provide you a large view of those items while browsing.

It’s also important to note that the items available in the Cosmetic Shop during this beta launch are only a small sample of what we intend to launch with future patches. This phase of the Shop is designed to gather and incorporate feedback from the community, work out any bugs, and provide an early look at the types of cosmetics players can expect. The Shop will be launching with only a select amount of Back, Portal, and Pet slot cosmetics. As you can see on the sidebar in the preview below, we intend on exploring other categories of cosmetics in the future, such as weapons and skill VFX.

Selecting an item will give you a larger in-game rendering of the item, with any related animations, as well as include a video of the cosmetic in action so you can be confident in what the cosmetic really looks like - all while browsing.

(Edit: We do apologize, these captures had an incorrect price listed for this particular item. We recognize that caused some headache. We have corrected the error from 250 EP to 165 EP for the Glacial Path portal)

Epoch Points

Previously called “Cosmetic Coins”, Epoch Points will be the primary method of acquiring cosmetics from the Cosmetic Shop. For many familiar with Cosmetic Shops, this should be a fairly familiar experience. Basically, EP provides a way to pre-load your account with funds for cosmetics, these points will be available to purchase cosmetics with at any point. Your already existing Cosmetic Coins will be displayed as Epoch Points - this is just a name change, not any difference in value or quantity.

Epoch Points can be purchased through Steam, and are automatically loaded onto your account. They will be available in the following denominations:

• 9.49 USD for 120 points
  • 18.99 USD for 265 points (240 + 25 bonus)
  • 49.99 USD for 755 points (630 +125 bonus)

Last Epoch and MTX

With the Cosmetic Shop Beta becoming available, we want to strongly reiterate our stance regarding MTX. We will not offer power or convenience as MTX. This has always been our stance, and we have no intention of changing it. We will not sell loot pets, we will not sell experience boosts, or dungeon keys, stash tabs, or anything of that nature.

It is important to note that we are building the Cosmetic Store as a way to support the long term development of an amazing ARPG we love - not the other way around. We want to ensure the game itself always offers the best quality of life features and conveniences we can create, and nothing is held back for monetization. We will also continue to push our standards for non-purchasable in-game gear models, animations, VFX, and everything else that makes Last Epoch look great.

Thank you all for joining us again for today’s blog post, as we get ready for Patch 0.9.1 Rising Flames, and we’ll be back tomorrow to talk about Weaver’s Will!

21 Likes

love some fomo mechanics

So a portal cosmetic costs 250 points, we can buy 120 points, or 265 points. It’s nice to know you haven’t skimped on figuring out the common strategies games utilize to keep people spending money.

Non sarcastically, for real? Like, this isn’t 2015, people understand what those decisions are. Just make stuff cost equivalent amounts to the currency they can buy. We know the basics of the psychology behind this stuff now, consumers aren’t stupid.

Edit: Initially when this was posted the portal mtx was shown as 250 points, this was a mistake, it’s actually 165 points (it’s still the same amount of real money to get the points for it).

52 Likes

Finally! Curious how my account will be handled for the shop :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I agree. That is the only thing I find upsetting about this. I am ready to spend money for the rest.

1 Like

Yikes 18.99 USD for a portal skin… This ain’t it chief.

20 Likes

Are the Eternal series 4 separate supporter packs, or is it a tier system where each tier contains new stuff & everything from the previous tier?

Also, are the example cosmetics shown priced accurately? 250 points for a portal cosmetic seems quite steep, that’s almost an entire 18.99 pack

2 Likes

“a great ARPG for the community to enjoy for the next 10 years.”
only 10? :cry:

The 4 Supporter Packs look cool.

The rest of the cosmetics teased in the shop interface however all look very meh.

Also the pricing seems very high. Specifically because LE is a B2P game with an initial box price, I would have thought that the cosmetic prices are a bit more modest compared to other similar games.

Basically only some of the very not-so fancy cloaks can be bought with the smallest Epoch Point bundle, that is a bummer.

I think more of the the cheapest things should be within the smallest Epoch Point Bundle range.

Also the portal costing almost 19$ is ridiculous.

I am more than happy to spend money for this game, but the prices are crazy

34 Likes

19€ for a portal. No way. Im’ tired of all of theses ARPG whith MTX ans outrageous cosmetics price.

11 Likes

I agree. If they lower the prices on the MTX, they will sell a lot more of them. I’m not buying a portal skin for almost 20 dollars.

12 Likes

Am excited for cosmetics, but as others have stated and I will repeat:

• Prices look very high
  • Price points and conversion ratio of cosmetic points is ugly

Very much dislike these things, especially the latter.

16 Likes

These prices will surely be nerfed before going live, right?

8 Likes

In the vein of cosmetics… any news on gender options for the classes?

1 Like

I agree 100% with Heavy, who posted above.

I don’t mind buying cosmetics and supporting the dev team, but the pricing is completely wrong for a game with an already existing buy-in price.

PoE’s cosmetics are way too expensive too, but they get away with it because you can technically download their game and play it as much as you want for free, LE not so much.

Limited time offered seasonal content which introduces FOMO (Fear of missing out) is also kind of predatory, but that’s still within the acceptable range for me. I wouldn’t mind buying 1 or 2 every so often when something I like visually comes out.

Also, can we as a community do away with the completely awful, manipulative pricing of “18.99 USD for 265 points (240 + 25 bonus)”

There is no bonus. You’re paying $19 for the 265 points, as advertised. If it were some discounted price, sure, but that’s the price to points value being introduced at launch, so that’s it’s default value.

It’s like when Bethesda tried listing a cosmetic item for 75% off in their Fallout 76 shop one time and got legally blasted for it because the only pricetag it ever had was that same 75% off one. It’s a shitty practice designed to trick people into thinking they’re getting a bargain or a discount when it’s the default, starting price for points.

That or are we paying $10 + $9 bonus! (wow so cool) for the 265 points?

I’m still of the opinion that $10 or $20 for a FULL cosmetic armor set/pack is acceptable for LE. $20 for a portal is a scam. I’d pay maybe $8 or $9 for a portal cosmetic, and only then if I really liked it.

If the prices are acceptable to me when it’s released, I’ve already got like $60 set aside for you guys EHG, but you’ve gotta give me something actually worth it per dollar, otherwise I can just go buy full on AAA title.

It’s the right steps, but you still need to do some correcting overall.

30 Likes

I was looking for that comment just to agree with it. Like Im okay spending money on MTX but not almost 20 bucks for a portal skin

6 Likes

I seen this bonus crap in PUBG point/cosmetic system too.

2 Likes

I agree that the pricing seems like it’s very high.

Also commenting that portals in Path of Exile are more often visible - going to/from hideout and maps you see the portal more often. From what I’ve played in Last Epoch, I just click on my destination directly on the map and never see a portal, or see a portal for 1 second when I finish an echo in the monolith. Lack of portal up-time, I’ll call it, makes it seem like portals should be one of the cheapest MTX.

5 Likes

Been supporting you guys for 3 years including buying supporter packs.
0.9 was the most unenjoyable patch for me, full of bugs and technical issues for the last 2 months.
And now you seriously come up with a PoE prize model in a 35 dollar game.
You gotta be kidding me.

21 Likes

For the cosmetic points, I’d like to see it 1:1 in either us dollars or euros
Please, please make it so we can buy any amount we want for an equal cost whether we’re buying a few dollars worth or a hundred.

6 Likes

So we can have and mtx which we have to buy, and also we had to buy a game, this is not F2P. The game is actually an online game, but instead of some kind of trading between players, so a lot of players can have items to actually play builds, we got mtxes. If this becomes true and mtxs will be released before trading i am willing to drop game forever. What a shame, what a scam…

3 Likes