Controller Support Feedback

Please re-map the Temporal Shift ability from D-Pad Left to Controller Y.
The user must take their thumb off the left thumbstick to press the button and then move back to the thumbstick, which is not ideal for boss fights which require precise movement.
Additionally, a mispress can cycle the camera down or up, which then has to be corrected mid-fight.
The D-Pad in LE should be reserved for commands that don’t require frequent use because using it will interrupt movement time.

I have not had this issue yet. You need to double tap the pick up button or else it scoops two items that are near each other?

I don’t need to double tap, I need to make sure that the button isn’t pressed for that long. So the time between pressing and releasing must be short, otherwise I may scoop up two items instead of only one.

However. I just tested it to figure out if it would scoop up more than two items if I just press the button long enough and threw five items on the ground. I could not reproduce the issue. So I guess it is indeed just a flaky button on my controller. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for making me test this properly :wink:

I agree with others that auto targeting needs some changes. I understand it is hard but I think a important think to do would make it possible to disable auto targeting per skill.

For example Wearbear Rampage does not need targeting at all (IMHO) because it is natural to have to rampage in your current direction. But maybe someone really want auto targeting so everyone can really make their own choice.

Maybe default should be on or off depending on the skill to not make it hard for new player. But the player can change it.

I read this on reddit before and now I saw your post about the “dungeon ablity” mapped on d-pad left on the controller, but for me d-pad left only shows/hides the item lables on the ground. Do I need to do something to “update” the mapping? So far i didn’t change any mapping for the controller, since most buttons are not able to be mapped yet.

I really hope we will be able to fully customize our keybindings soon!

Try resetting your controller keybinds and report back with results.

No thanks.

You also cant change button layouts this patch

Out of curiosity, do you think D-pad Left is a good fit for the dungeon ability, or would you prefer it on a different button?

This did indeed fix my problem, thx for your help!

I don’t mind having the Temporal Shift on d-pad left at the moment. That’s something I can work with, but I hope we will be able to fully customize the controller mapping soon.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I just started playing and would like to give my two cents about the controller.
It so far works great for combat, but I was confused with the UI.

• At first I wasn’t sure how to quick sell items, quick equip/remove items. I was using the controller pointer to hover over items and trying to press buttons to no avail, this was confusing as I imagined it was the intended way to do it. I had to read this thread to understand that I have to select the item (as in press left/right in the controller for the white square around it) and only then pressing X and Y will do things. My suggestion would be to add the functionality directly to the pointer as well.

• The B button closes the inventory, but if I have the pointer on top of an item the button will close the inventory and auto equip the item, which is weird. Also, the B button doesn’t work for all the screens (ladder, character, passive), and there should be a pattern in its use.

• People have already mentioned they would like to be able to change controller buttons in the options, and I’d like to add to the suggestion an option for long press and short press. For example, short press the select button opens the inventory, long press gives you the selection wheel. It could give us a lot of options for R3, L3, directional buttons, select and start.

• Others have already mentioned but please make R3 and L3 for information a toggle. I feels weird having to keep them pressed.

• For the overlay map (which is currently assigned to L3), make it so that if you have overlay button pressed the right analog will move the map around so we can scroll around the map.

• For rings, when you press Y instead of auto-equipping only one of them straight away move the cursor directly on top of the equipped ring so you can press left/right to change the desired ring.

• The pointer does not work in the skills menu, hovering over something and pressing A does nothing or goes into what is selected by the directional buttons. It is confusing if you are new. Purely without the pointer it is working great.

• In the inventory menu there is an icon LT but I don’t understand what it does.

• Add an option to require a second left/right/up/down button press to jump between borders if the direction is long pressed. Sometimes I’m trying to select something quick and it unintentionally jumps around. This one is only slightly annoying (and most likely my fault for being impatient).

• When you are moving around in the world, the right analog does nothing/shows the pointer which does nothing. Instead it could be used to override the auto target. Instead of showing a pointer, make your character attack straight in the direction the right analog is facing.

1 Like

Quick FYI: I played this game when you all first launched, briefly, and I restarted about a week ago. EPIC PROGRESS!! Y’all have a lot to be proud of, as this is a great game. AARPGs are not known for fun exploring, but I really have enjoyed the look and experience of the game beyond the mechanics (which I also love).

Controller Issues

I played POE on a PS4 and the integration is almost seamless, so solid controller support is possible. While there are many things I love about POE, I am loving this more so far. Nothing against POE. Just hope y’all don’t gut the skill tree every time a patch comes out! I digress, LOL

Controller Issues Feedback As Of DEC 2021

1. Im on a brand new ASUS Gaming laptop - mid level. The controller is an Xbox One, wired because wireless kept losing connection (a Windows/computer issue, not LE).
  2. Whenever I click “Exit To Desktop” on your nav it always goes to settings.
  3. Targeting is an issue when I need to quickly turn around. It’s like it needs to complete is animation first, then I can turn around. It happens rarely but enough to notice.
  4. I cannot use my controller to type anything. This is not a console, so it’s technically not needed, but when Im in the middle of a game, I don’t want to stop everything Im doing to label a storage tab and such. It would be nice to be able to, if we want, type. This is low on my list, its just my laptop is tucked into an entertainment console, me on me lovely chair - ya know. LOL
  5. There is a significant bug when it comes to assigning skills. It can’t be done via controller. It always preselects a skill, versus the one I want. Again, I have to stop playing, and go to my laptop - where it works fine.
  6. The same issue as above but applied to any kind of respec - points, or dumping a skill. It shows as the action completing, but it never takes, so I have to do it from my laptop.
  7. Scrolling - lol, oh, scrolling. I really like how the control pad works for the map, maybe something like that for scrolling? When I say scrolling, things like scrolling through my crafting materials (up and down).

Globally, game play with the controller (to include crafting) is very solid minus the occasional “I NEED TO TURN AROUND!” thing … very good. And I have only died once due to the turnaround thing. Hope this helps!

Jin

I noticed a bug, whenever I press start and try to select “exit to desktop” the controller stops working in all the menus. It works fine for attacking, etc…

I feel it is weird to scroll around the map with d-pad. Shouldn’t L be possible as well it is not used for anything when map is open.

This one is particularly odd, and I figured out the reason for it: when a player pauses the game, the controller has it automatically linked to Settings, even if we’re using the cursor to click the “Exit to Desktop” button.

You have to use the D-Pad button, and go down from “Settings” to “Exit to Desktop” for it to work properly. It’s an odd feature, but at least it’s workable for now.

I’m sure more than one person mentioned it, but Werebear Rampage feels awful to play on a controller. I want to aim my Rampage where my joystick is, but I have had - more than once - the Bear run really slowly in the opposite direction from where I’m aiming my joystick. I know it’s a targeting thing, but it makes Werebear far more frustrating than it would otherwise be.

1 Like

Personally I have it mapped to left thumb stick click

I said no thanks as I like to use Y as a ‘buff’ key

@Tree - tried that, doesn’t work. No matter what I use, the same issue, but thanks for responding

When leveling up, if you got new skill points, and click the icon on the left bottom side with the pointer the controller stops working for the skill menu. You have to close the menu using the pointer.

I wanted to edit the above comment to add another suggestion but I can’t seem to find the option (timed edit?)

When selling items, make the controller selection auto select the next item instead of going to the empty spot where the item was. It decrease a lot of button presses trying to select the next items.

Hey,
I’ve been playing a lot with an xbox controller for windows, and it feels way better than i thought. I’m actually starting to prefer it to the k&m.
Only thing that frustrates me is the movement abilites, like shift or teleport.
I think they should just travel to the max distance in the direction where you’re pushing the movement stick. As it is now they instead go to the next auto targeted enemy or interactable stuff on the floor. I know some of them also have some attack/damaging aspect to it, so i guess it makes sense. But it’s so furstrating when i want to “blink” in the direction i’m moving and instead i shoot to the side because a chair was highlighted.
It actually got me killed in the emperor of corpses fight, i wanted to blink out of the big aoe circle instead i went backward toward one of those little adds :smiley:

2 Likes

Ability targeting should really be adjustable on a per-ability basis IMO. I often level a Primalist with Fury Leap specced to reset cooldown on short leap kill. The autotargeted double leap is pretty awesome to use, especially with Berserk. Ideally, there’d be a way to control the targeting per-use but I don’t see an obvious way to make that happen.

1 Like