Constructive Discussion on Item Factions and Itemization

I’ve enjoyed playing some Last Epoch, think the game has tons of potential, and would love to see EHG and Last Epoch grow over time. I don’t want to sound overly negative, I simply think some changes need to happen for the overall health of the game. Last Epoch’s item system has some fundamental flaws that significantly impact the ability for many players to enjoy the game.

To be clear, there are tons of unique and amazing ideas that Last Epoch has as far as item systems when involving trade. Taken at face value these ideas are arguably the best system for handling items while letting the player decide whether they want to engage with trade or not, the problem is the current nature of the implementation, which can absolutely be changed for the better.

TLDR: CoF isn’t actually rewarding enough to compete with Trade, Item factions require way too much reputation to rank up, and the current Bazaar search system is grossly inadequate

Not everyone fully understands how the item faction systems work so I will do my best to explain it in a way that even people with little knowledge of Last Epoch can understand.

You can align yourself with item factions to decide your preferred approach to handling loot, and most notably whether you want to trade items with players.

Item factions have ‘tags’ that an item CAN (but don’t by default) have, which tie that specific item to that faction. This tag can be found in the bottom right corner of an item card UI. Items with a Circle of Fortune (CoF) tag cannot be equipped by a character aligned with the Merchants Guild (MG), and a MG item cannot be equipped by a CoF aligned character. This is to prevent players doing something like playing MG, buying some build enabling unique, then switching to CoF for bonuses to loot, or otherwise playing CoF for bonus loot then going and selling that extra loot in MG. In a system where one faction literally increases the amount of items you find, this is a necessary requirement for balance.

The game doesn’t even let you switch to the opposing faction until you have removed all items tagged with the opposing faction. This prevents you from accidentally bricking your build, among other things. You have to manually remove all of said items, so that you know exactly what you now have to replace before you can even join the opposing faction.

Now to delve into the issues at hand.

Circle of Fortune (CoF):
I’m of the opinion no player should feel forced to engage with other players in order to progress their characters, either in regards to completing playable content, or completing their character. Last Epoch’s solution to not engaging with trade is the Circle of Fortune item faction. The surface level concept behind the faction is that you find more loot at the cost of being unable to trade with other players, limiting how much a player might feel penalized because they didn’t want to trade. Taken at face value, this is unusual among games with economies and a very refreshing concept. My problem with it is the current implementation.

What might be outright shocking to many CoF loyalists is just how few of their items were actually obtained BECAUSE they were CoF. What do I mean by that?

To back up a bit to item tags, not every item found while playing CoF is tagged as a CoF item. They will all have “cannot be traded” which is a separate tag, but those items CAN be equipped by a player who has switched to the MG, they simply cannot trade those items found prior to switching to MG. You might wonder then, under what conditions does an item actually gain the CoF tag, and it’s actually relatively simple. By default an item that drops does NOT have the tag, meaning most items that drop will not have the CoF tag. What would cause an item to gain this tag is if that item is obtained specifically because the player is playing CoF.

Long story short, I played CoF prior to patch 1.1, reached level 100, did all the content, and ranked up my CoF to max. I was absolutely blown away when I wanted to mess around with MG, and only needed to remove my weapon, 2 armor pieces, and 3 idols. Of all the time that I had been playing CoF, barely any of my upgrades had come BECAUSE I was CoF, they had dropped off of normal monsters, chests, or echo rewards. I had been penalizing myself for barely any benefit, and yes I was aggressively using prophecies and lenses. Notably every one of those items I had to remove had only minor downgrades I had previously found that didn’t have the CoF tag that I could simply equip and then go play MG.

Let’s look at some examples of situations in which a player would gain items with the CoF tag.

1. CoF rank 3 gives a 25% chance that when an idol drops, there is a 25% chance that 2 additional idols would drop at the same time. Of those 3 idols, only the 2 additional ones would gain the CoF tag, the original 1 that would have dropped does NOT have the tag. If you would have 4 idols drop, on average you would instead see 6 drop, of which 2 have the CoF tag. Rank 3 of CoF gives approximately 50% more idols, however only 1 out of 3 idols that drop would have the CoF tag. This means on average, 2 out of 3 of your idols could otherwise have been self found while still playing MG.

2. You pay favor (obtained from killing monsters) to ‘buy’ a prophecy. You go to a specific area and kill a specific monster and that prophecy drops items of a certain type. Every single item dropped by a prophecy will have the CoF tag. These items simply could not have otherwise been found in that manner.

3. You use favor to gamble at the NPC for an item of a certain base type. No matter what that item is, it will have the CoF tag.

Something very important to note is that as part of this tag application system, the CoF tag itself has different ranks, which innately tell you not just that it was a CoF effect that gave you that item, but which one. In the case of the aforementioned Idols, the 2 bonus idols would specifically have the CoF (Rank 3) tag.

Okay, so there are 12 ranks of CoF, each of which give new ways of finding items, as well as prophecies, which to some degree allow you to target certain classes of items. In Cycle 1.1 the amount of reputation that a player has to gain to get to the highest ranks is very high (Even after accounting for rank 12 taking less overall xp than 1.0 rank 10). So high, that a player can easily get to level 100 and kill the pinnacle boss BEFORE they reach the maximum rank. This means that for the majority of your playthrough, you are only benefiting from a handful of ranks in CoF, barely finding any more loot than you would otherwise be without even being aligned with an item faction. There is also the issue that you are completely at the mercy of RNG in regards to things like boss uniques, LP Uniques, specific exalted modifiers, and specific idol modifiers. Rebalancing how much loot these sources give or at the very least just reducing the amount of xp to reach the highest ranks would help make it actually compete in some regard to trade.

As it stands the amount of benefit you get from a couple ranks of Merchant’s Guild far outperforms even a fully maxed out CoF item faction for the first few hours of monoliths

Merchant’s Guild (MG):
There is an in game ‘auction house’ (Not really any auctioning going on), features intended at preventing people from playing the market instead of playing the game, and it allows players to obtain items deterministically with gold instead of having to wait on luck. At face value these are all amazing design decisions, and have so much potential. It’s again the implementation that unfortunately leaves me and many others with a sour experience.

We should shortly establish under what conditions that an item gains the Merchant’s Guild tag. Only the act of purchasing an item with favor will give that item the MG tag. This item can be purchased from the NPC gamble vendor, from the Bazaar, or directly from another player to gain the tag. Yes, even trading (Note, different from Gifting) among your friends without using the bazaar still gives the item the MG tag. MG tagged items not only cannot be equipped by CoF players (of course), but also cannot be sold.

While I’m of the personal opinion that you should be able to re-sell something to do things like recoup a portion of the cost when you buy an upgrade, or respec your build, this is a fair and reasonable design decision aimed at preventing people from playing the market instead of playing the game (also bot deterrent). Instant forced selling prevents things like price fixing where you list items for cheap that you don’t intend to sell in order to buy items that people mistakenly price at your arbitrary below market value. Great. The Bazaar system doesn’t require action from the player when another player chooses to buy something from them. Amazing. Your items can be sold even when you aren’t online. Incredible.

Let’s talk about the Bazaar as it is essentially the entire Merchant’s Guild item faction system. The Bazaar is a zone where there are some 2 dozen various NPCs that each correspond to a specific item class, or item subclass. There is only 1 NPC for boots for example, but 6 NPCs for idols (1 for generic idols and 5 for each of the playable class’ idols) There are separate NPCs for 1h axes and for 2h axes. They are spread throughout the Bazaar with some general sections of the zone corresponding to different item types, like one area for idols, another for jewelry, another for 2h weapons, etc. You can go to an NPC to see all the listed items for that item class. You can then filter by things like specific base types, item rarity (rare, unique, legendary, set, etc), and modifiers. Having to walk to a specific NPC each time you want to buy or even just look at certain types of items is rather annoying, but far from ruins the entire experience. One can argue it really adds to the immersion (this isn’t a discussion on the importance of immersion) To be clear you can list an item as for sale from any of the NPCs regardless of whether said item matches the item class, which is a great QoL.

You can sell any tradable item regardless of your rank, (MG tagged items are NOT tradable) however your rank decides what kind of items you can purchase off of the Bazaar.

At face value the Bazaar is a pretty cool concept, and overall a great take on trade. The majority of problems with the MG boils down to one of 2 issues. Rank Progression, and Item searching.

1. Rank Progression:
    Getting all the way to rank 12 takes a TON of reputation (Faction xp). This is accounting for the fact that in patch 1.1, rank 12 takes less reputation than it used to take to get to rank 10 in patch 1.0. You can gain reputation by killing monsters, but mostly by spending favor. Listing an item for sale, actually selling an item you previously listed, buying an item off the Bazaar, buying an item directly from a player, or gambling items at the NPC are all methods of spending favor. The amount of xp gained from buying/selling the item is NOT tied to the gold price of the item, but rather the item class/rank. You get ‘full’ xp from gambling at no monetary benefit to you, or ‘half’ xp for listing an item for comparable favor. Only when the item sells do you get the ‘full’ xp. It also isn’t immediately clear that you can get reputation by gambling your favor at the NPC.
  • This means that players are incentivized to race to the bottom to sell an item, to get xp not just from listing it, but for selling it too. For most uniques, set items, and even exalted rares, this means that there are almost always some of them listed for quite literally 0 gold. This puts players who find these items in the position where the item is quite literally worthless outside of throwing it into the aether hoping that someone will pick it up for no monetary compensation to you, the player. This kind of listing is highly incentivized by the ranks of MG requiring an extremely large amount of Reputation. Free items on its own is far from a fatal flaw as it is largely beneficial to the players who are trying to buy said free items, but a player shouldn’t have to choose between selling an item for xp, or selling an item for money that they can actually use to improve their character.

• Generally speaking players have to make a choice. Do they want to focus on making gold, at the cost of slower faction progression, or B-line to rank 12, and have barely any gold when they get there? I’m of the opinion that in a system designed solely for the trading of items, players should be expecting something of value in return for the item they are trading away, not literally 0 gold.

• With how much reputation it takes to get to higher ranks, players run into the issue where for the first week of the game, there are either literally, or functionally no players that can purchase items that require the highest ranks of MG. Notably most types of legendary items require you to completely max out your reputation to rank 12 to be able to buy these items. This creates the situation where almost all legendary items have no demand and thus are completely worthless, and the ones that have value cant even be purchased until far later, essentially delaying the benefit of finding/making that item in the first place.

• As it stands for most unique items, the most expensive version of that item isn’t a legendary, or even one with Legendary Potential, its quite literally the worst version of that item that has value. Not a small difference either. Legendary items (uniques with extra mods) are completely worthless since no one can even buy them. LP items with only LP 1 or LP 2 may have some value (but due to also requiring a fairly high rank are often also literally free) and the base version of that unique, the only one that players can actually buy early on and objectively the worst version of that item, is hundreds of thousands of gold.

• With the implementation of the Harbinger Nemesis system (Which to be clear is a base game system), it is really easy to get legendary items in even the campaign. In fact it’s easier to get Legendries through that system than items with legendary potential. If it offers a unique or egg (which is essentially a random unique unless you otherwise replace it with one of your uniques), you have the option to ‘upgrade’ that item by empowering the nemesis. That unique will either gain some amount of Legendary Potential, or more often, add modifiers to it making it legendary. This means that in CoF the nemesis system should almost always be empowered as it will objectively make the items better. With MG, empowering a unique item will almost always make that item utterly worthless even if you hit one or more decent affixes. This is the opposite of how it should be. The value of an item should be decided by the quality, rarity, and demand for that item, not some arbitrary xp threshold.

I do want to acknowledge that a player starting halfway into a cycle shouldn’t be able to buy a perfect legendary item at a stage that such an item shouldn’t otherwise be obtainable, but the solution shouldn’t be to so completely overcompensate that it ruins the entire experience and invalidates those items in an economy.

1. Bazaar UI and Searching:
    The other, and arguably equally significant issue with The Bazaar in the current state of the game is how difficult it is to use the in-game system to search for what you want to buy. The system is so poor that even the loot filter is better and more specific in almost every way at searching for items you want than the search filters. An immediate band aid patch could be integrating many aspects of the loot filter system into the Bazaar UI, though as I’m not a programmer, I don’t fully comprehend how much work something like that could actually take.
  • You want to search for a t7 mod and a t1 mod on an item? Too bad. You can either search for both at t1, or both at t7. You can’t use search logic like allowing a number of mods from a pool instead of the entire pool, so you have to search each acceptable permutation of an acceptable item or search through dozens of tabs where the majority of items aren’t even close to acceptable. These are issues that could be so much better with even the loot filter system, which itself is drastically insufficient for a quality ‘auction house’

• One of the bigger offending incidents that caused me to quit this cycle was that I had a simple idol with 4% health and 8% elemental resistance. The rolls range from 2-5% health and 3-8% resistance. As you cannot search for minimum values of modifiers, I was forced to scroll through pages of results to find anything even close to mine. At page 47 I finally found the first idol that had an 8% resistance roll, but its health roll was 2%. At page 56 I found the first one that was the same as mine AND MINE WASN’T EVEN PERFECT. I could have scrolled farther towards page 82 which was the total number of pages of listings to find what a perfect one would go for if I happened to have one, but I don’t want to spend that much time just to find out how much is a fair price to list my item for.

• The difficulty of pricing certain items is restrictive to a significant number of players, so restrictive many people don’t bother. Players are incentivized to list an item for free just to get the xp, or throw a random price on something and hope it sells, making it very difficult to know what the fair market value of an item is if you want to purchase it. I’m of the opinion that selling is equally as important as buying in an economy based game but most players aren’t engaging with the trade mechanic in an interesting or healthy way

It’s easy for me to identify problems or throw out my solutions to the current systems, but any significant reworks are both difficult or time consuming to implement, and have implications beyond what I alone can realize. Many changes could also go beyond the scope of what the developers or players even want from the game, which is why I’m hoping to spark some constructive discourse, as players who would like to see the game to improve.

By far the simplest and most impactful change that I think should be made to the current system is a rework to the amount of reputation required to fully level up the item factions. Not just a 10% or 20% reduction either, but around 50%. Depending on how much the reputation values are reworked, certain thresholds could be re-arranged, replaced, or their bonuses being tweaked to accommodate having to play for so long before you can reach them. We don’t need to be buying perfect legendries at level 70, but we don’t need to be killing the Aberroth before we can buy an item someone found at level 20 either.

CoF has so many ways of giving additional items and yet somehow, still isn’t rewarding enough to compete with MG, as getting things like 0 LP build enabling uniques or rares with resistances or otherwise build enabling modifiers takes less only 3 ranks, with things getting more impactful overall. I don’t think a maxed out CoF rank character should be able to swap to MG so easily, and then double their damage and improve their survivability within an afternoon. CoF is moderately more rewarding in some ways than prior to Cycle 1.1, but many of my friends still made the switch easily and immediately benefitted.

With regards to buying and selling items, I don’t think that players should be incentivized to list things for free, or that it should cost both gold and favor to buy an item and favor to sell an item when the tags innately prevent things like market bots. I also don’t think that gambling an item from the NPC in the Bazaar should make it untradeable, as it’ll prevent situations like where the player gets lucky finding a good item they can’t use and aren’t able to sell it (slightly salty about a 20 mil gold exalted ring I gambled)

By far the biggest nightmare in terms of development time to fix is the Bazaar. There is no shortage of requested features, so I doubt the Developers need many suggestions from someone like me, but I think at minimum you should be able to use more complex rules for searches and be able to put a minimum acceptable value for certain modifiers, especially if they don’t otherwise have ranks like with Idols or the base modifiers on uniques.

TLDR: CoF isn’t actually rewarding enough to compete with Trade, Item factions require way too much reputation to rank up, and the current Bazaar search system is grossly inadequate

2 Likes

I agree the ranks for both factions are pretty awkward.

Merchant’s Gulid should probably only be balanced around preventing botters – favor makes sense as a tax to prevent botting. Gating items based on rarity is already done naturally by the game with drop rates and character level requirements and the economy will reflect that and gate out players that aren’t sufficient into their progression to acquire that item on trade.

I had a similar situation with CoF also, where most of my items weren’t even the result of being in that faction. The Rank system seemed to take too long to level up and the most efficient way is to just gamble at vendor (same with MG). I could spend the time looking at each reward to see if it was what I wanted to target farm and in the content I wanted to farm within, or I could try to rank up as fast as possible to unlock the Lens slots so I can increase the odds of getting the prophecies I wanted. I’m not sure the rank system really serves to improve the experience – I think the favor and spending favor is sufficient to add extra buffs.

yeah, for sure there are some flaw in both the faction, the MG rank are to limiting to actually approach the mechanics it’s self, and the advanced rank of the CoF even if on the paper seems really good, in the practice somehow all my gear and in general the best items that i’ve dropped in 300h of CoF come from normal drop, or from CoF ranking of max 5/6, but maybe i’m just really unlucky.

Anyway the game is really good, and with some QoL upgrade and with the mentality of actually rewarding the player and making it’s path through some aspect of the game not unnecessary tortuous, without unnecessary limitations or delays, the game will for sure regain a lot of player, and most important, new player, with all due respect to the gatekeepers.

First of all @Ekule731 Kudos for the well written post. Some nice points in there, some fail to find the actual issues. Nicely done overall!

Yes, and this is where the first fallacy of the tagging system comes up since it’s really - and I mean really - badly implemented.

The CoF faction tag happens only when you generate a new item because of the mechanic.
You see the ones with ‘higher chance’ and so on? Ignored, they aren’t getting tagged.

Think about the amount of items you pick up and the actual number tagged and you’ll see the direct correlation to solidify my point.
If item upgrades would be in this tagging system then the majority of items would be tagged.

This is a groos oversight from EHG to not tag properly. Either to it right or just get rid of this - in my opinion shit - mechanic at all if they can’t even get the basic right.

If EHG fixes this oversight which has been mentioned extensively at the start of 1.0 and ignored since your whole argument falls flat, then CoF and MG have a clear and visible distinction and people are *hindered as intended
Solution 2 is remove faction tags fully which some will talk against again.
But those are the 2 options, a ‘in-between’ crap as we have now is neither/nor. Simple as is.

Nah, it does something really simple which is also really important and a dangerous situation for other game markets, the one thing which EHG did better then any other market system of the genre

It removes price fixing exploits. All of them. It utterly demolishes them and leaves not a single established method that functions alive in that regard.

That’s a massive and important thing.

Limitation of the usage of the system based on Rank itself is a very bad idea. It’s a major gripe of mine.
MG ranks should be tied to either favor costs for buying items, with the favor cost scaling based on gold price (a change which is important to have) or a taxation system to generate a natural gold sink for MG which doesn’t exist currently as it causes inflation and hence the longer it goes on the less viable Lightless Harbour becomes as the actual gold sink. So when it goes out of hand then it provides even less function then at the start… which is bad.

Incentive to actually sell an item is a detriment in the current setup.
It makes the environment competitive.
We lack price-checks and relisting to make it a viable endeavor. Doing it would screw so many people over as only highly dedicated people can profit from it and others get even further penalized then it’s currently the case.

A market is a competitive environment, you always stand in competition to everyone else in the game as a seller by design. So if it’s in a game then the devs need to make sure that the fairness of the competition - unlike in the real world - is upheld.

Also ‘incentive to sell’ is once again ‘0’ gold listings. So that’s a shitty way to even have it. There should be no 0 gold listings existing period. It should be forbidden by the system, a minimum price, raising regarding the rarity of said item.
A 4 T5 rare item should be unable to be priced as low as a random rare item from the ground. By design. It’s ‘perfected’ to a degree after all.

The same should uphold in general.

MG simply has a boatload of badly implemented functions as well as missing functions that a proper trade environment with a complex situation such as diablo-clones in general create should get right from the get-go.

No, the most valuable ones are LP items.

It’s also simple to explain.

Non LP has no value since it’s not rare, market’s flodded.
1 LP also sustains that notion.

2 LP becomes useful for rare uniques.
3 LP becomes useful for common uniques.

Why? Because imagining that you even make legendary items and people put them in then you wouldn’t be able to search for them reliably because we can’t search for different tiered affixes, hence failed and perfect crafts show at the same time and you would need to sift through them. But they don’t get listed anyway, so something’s after all before that as a hindrance.

And that’s the variable involved. Making a great legendary item is surprisingly hard. You need to have the right item with the right mod. Those hence are only used to craft as a base for higher LP items. The amount of bases is vastly higher per actual relevant outcome.
For 1 LP item you after all only get a 25% chance to hit that specific rare affix onto it. Means you would need 4 bases to achieve it.
If we for example take a T7 +Level to Summon Skeletons then that would cost ~ half a million for a base at least? So for a 1 LP item 2 million to achieve. With the effort it can hence only be priced at around 2,5 million in the market to even make a profit. Nobody is going to buy that as a 2 LP base already cuts that down to 50% chance and hence reduces the need of the crafting base by half (since bases are harder to acquire).

This disparity in drop-rate is a major issue as to why legendaries aren’t sold. Selling those separate brings you more rewards, also the favor cost increase for listing it is a thing since dungeons are basically ‘favor time waste’ as you directly work on selling a singular item which you otherwise could run content which provides more items to sell or actively use (corruption scaling + bosses there dropping those).

Yes, the Nemesis system de-valued 1 LP items. Made legendaries actually exist in the market at least. So it’s a good system.

We already have that with acquisition of non-LP empowered boss-drop uniques. That’s another major oversight and the outcome from market limitations itself.
If EHG wants to go the rank route then they need to properly handle their ranks related to progression and not the current mess they produced.

As for UI:
It’s a mess… one utter… total… mess.
Plainly spoken EHG should be ashamed to even consider implementing factions in such a state as they’ve been implemented. It’s awful, it shouldn’t have happened.
The game was not ready for release in 1.0 for many reasons and a non-functioning market is one of the first releases I’ve seen.

Puts a damper on the otherwise fantastic game in my eyes, EHG lowered their own value considerably with that move.

Yes, that’s why such systems shouldn’t be released before all kinks have been worked out. EHG rushed it, they made a major mistake, now it falls on their head.
Only fair for them to scramble around and try to fix it because it’s that bad simply.

OH SO THAT IS WHY EVERYTHING IS ZERO GOLD!?

I HATE THAT!!!

It creates an incentive to list something for zero instead of for an amount that will actually give you a profit, it is also why so many exalts are painfully cheap, where the only things that cannot be got for 0 gold are insanely rare things.

How am I supposed to grind up the amount of gold for my BiS if nothing I get sells for what it is actually worth? I am competing with free

Exactly!

Sucks, doesn’t it? And that’s not even the deepest area of the MG rabbit hole EHG set up by bad design :stuck_out_tongue:

As someone that has actually checked LP
1 LP is generally the price of base item
2 LP is EXPENSIVE
3 and 4 LP is NON-EXISTANT on most uniques, if it does exist it is usually millions to hundreds of millions of gold

Legendaries however are usually cheap due to the flood from harbingers, and the bad affixes. So cheap they are not worth listing, after all why would you list one item for 8k favor that will make the same amount of gold as an item that lists for 400?

It isn’t possible to know all the consequences of a trading system without an actual playerbase to exploit all the details of said economy.

Exactly!
That, 100% encapsulates it.
Will you even sell it? Nah, the 400 one sells more likely.
Heck… sell a idol for 200 instead and it’ll go for more, take up less space and actually do stuff for you.

True, not ‘all’ of them.
But… we have literally hundreds of varied real market economy examples throughout the history of mankind + hundreds of economy examples through video games which are actually used as case studies by economic students since they represent markets 1 to 1 as humans interact in both cases.

So while we can’t find the consequences… we can definitely know a vast portion of them beforehand if someone would’ve actually studied economics and not forgotten everything from it.

And if nobody studied it then why is EHG implementing one for the genre which has the highest difficulty to get that functional and working without pulling in someone who actually did do exactly that, studying that stuff. Eve Online for example has a permanent economics expert at their studio just to get daily heart attacks from suggestions of devs which have no clue about the topic.

While this is true, LE does have a difference to all of those and it’s a crucial one that makes predicting how the market will behave hard: you can’t resell.
Pretty much all economic examples you can find both IRL and in games allow you to buy and resell. And the restriction on reselling has a huge impact on the economic model.

EDIT: In fact, almost all economic models are dependent on the fact that you can resell. Most economic models are predicated on the constant flow of both currency and products.

Sometimes it’s impossible to know how the real world will react to your thing. The devs prepared as best they could for launch & something they hadn’t thought of broke, it’s likely the same here. That & EHG can’t be held responsible for players acting irrationally.

Those are also through in-game example over the years studied by now.
It’s a ‘rigid’ market which inputs one-time usage items only hence, outputting ‘soulbound’ items.
That’s the equivalency.

The specific topic on how it’s studied is the ‘circular economic’ model which commonly happens in most markets. It increases the equations which have to be taken into consideration.

Remove that aspect and a market becomes surprisingly simple.
So it should be easier and not harder to manage for someone with knowledge.

Yes, agreed!
Not the case here and feedback has been given both before release and right after release for the fail-states this system provides.

Once again, no taxation, limiting access, no limiter for listing amount, tying progression to market influx, non-scaling payment resources.

All of those are an immediate alarm-bell ringing in the head of someone understanding economics. There simply is no excuse. It’s the work of a dilettante of the topic.

In any area you put people with knowledge and - best-case - experience on a specific task to get a good outcome. This is called ‘competence’. If you put someone without knowledge or experience onto a task this person learns a lot but the end-result is by design ‘incompetence’ since for obvious reasons they don’t know the details of how it’s done.
I don’t give a network-engineer my woodworking saw and tell them to make a dovetail joint because they’ll by design fuck it up, which is to be expected. Doing that and expecting a good outcome is insanity. So we shouldn’t be surprised that the outcome has the same amount of quality attached to it then someone doing the same equivalency in something else.
It’s very rare and mostly luck-based if someone gets it right nonetheless.

But… they act very rational? It’s incentivized to ruin the market by design even? :stuck_out_tongue: That’s the point here. The design actively pushes the market to collapse onto itself through several avenues at once.

Sure, was this feedback given several months (if not more) before 1.0 so they had time to rethink & rework the AH? Is it easier to throw rotten veg with hindsight?

Yes, and I’m pretty sure they did, they didn’t just get some rando off the street to design this.

Thanks for the English lesson, I’d always wondered what that word meant since I’ve never actually heard it being used before…

First of all, if those things come up 1 day before release, for a integral system such as a market… then you don’t release it, period.

I’ve mentioned it somewhere before, there was a interview with Chris Wilson about market implementation a while ago. His answer was basically ‘if it got flaws, if it is exploitable, if it has things that will make the market collapse over time and you see it then it’s scrapping that back to beta-stage and not releasing it under any circumstances. It is a integral part of trust into an economy and if that’s gone you’ve got a worse problem then it not existing in the first place’ was the notion behind that.
Harsh words and very clear-cut… and I agree fully with that! If there’s flaws in such a system which is heavily affecting the playerbase unlike any other mechanic in the game then it needs to be tackled with the respect and effort it deserves, because it’s just that important.

A rando off the streets would’ve done as well a job. So either that person is shit at their job or they didn’t think it was necessary to do it.
I’ll rather go with option 2 since the first is more worrying for me. Benefit of the doubt there.
It’s just that bad.

You would be surprised how outraged people react when I don’t explain it and just throw the word ‘incompetence’ into the mix without explaining the other side :stuck_out_tongue:
I distinctly remember it happening in this Forum :wink:

And yet PoE’s trade is flawed and exploitable. And prone to inflation/crashes when there are exploits as well. Yet they still released it.
It’s just that GGG by now has tools to minimize this, namely exploit tracking where they can simply delete the results of exploits more successufully than EHG can at this point.

2 Likes

Sure, but what if you’ve spent months testing it & going through it every angle you can think of, with experts? And it still breaks (1.0)? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. As, as I’ve mentioned, is being able to heckle from the cheap seats.

Not into a state which causes market collapses. Not only can you circumvent price-fixing (which is a major issue and probably the reason why they’re so heavily invested into the LE market system) but also can’t be upheld permanently with reasonable profit.

You’re actively giving up any usability of that account and need a second one to have function left. You’ll get a flood of messages for buying items making your chat impossible to read.

I actively tried it out with some friends and was surprised about the outcome, still a scummy tactic, not viable in grand scale though.

Yes, inflation and crashes are also natural and even wanted in a economy.

People always take it as a negative, it’s not, it’s a positive.
A collapsing market area causes upstarts to push in, which makes those people able to profit as the old established people loose out. It’s generally a generational shift.

In the real world market that’s hence actively stifled since people in power - and hence money - don’t want that to happen. This is how banks get bailed out despite failing. It’s not for the customers of the bank… it’s to keep the market stable and not let new people get into it.

Yes, and that’s also an aspect of it, agreed!
There’s a difference between a baseline functionality (with PoE’s market has) versus one which by design collapses itself without the ability to recover. It has a guaranteed fail-state currently.

Did they?
So… if that happens… and someone brings up a point which is very simple (like enforced ‘0’ gold listing)… what does that mean?
We now have the active statis of ‘expert didn’t see’ and ‘costumer found exploit’ at once.

What’s your solution hence?

‘Release it anyway!’ was EHG’s. We see the result.
‘Hold it back and fix this before release!’ is GGGs approach, you see it next league and take care of all the issues mentioned which make it auto-collapse.

Which one is better?
We don’t 100% know but one thing for an economy is clear, you only get a specific amount of trust into it before it’s not used anymore.

So you only have a specific amount of tries.

I would argue you hence should go on the ‘safer’ side and make double and triple sure what’s going on, and if your ‘expert’ - which is fairly shoddy seemingly, sorry there dear employee, you are. Nothing against you, but it’s your job and you did it badly - fails again with the basic premises of a market then maybe… just maybe it should give you enough thought to step back and reconsider your approach on a fundamental level.

That’s why it’s usually bots that do it. Or people that turn on the “Do not disturb”. It’s not an actual issue and it doesn’t stop anyone from doing it.

They did, yes.

I don’t know, I’m only an accountant.

In GGG’s case, they’ve always been anti-AH since that would make life too easy for non-hardcore players (ie, those filthy casuals). In EHG’s case, it would have required pushing back 1.0 again for, what the 3rd or 4th time? How many years was it since they originally said they’d launch? How much goodwill would they have lost if they’d done that? Which would have been worse?

‘Do not disturb’ removes your listing from the API. So no, that can’t be done.

Which leaves only bots, and price-fixing which is found is actually a offence which will be banned… raaaaaarely.

Still, centralized, small scale. No issue.

It’s a major difference from a in-built collapse-mechanic into the system that will hold true 100% of the time.
Which we have.

Nope, even being offline keeps them there, though the buyer does need to select the “see all” option. All DND does is change the “online” flag to “AFK”.