Constant Crashes after 5-10 zones

So I have been trying to play the game since 0.9 but whenever I do the game crashes after a couple of zones. I have played around with graphic settings (now at minimum) as well as adjusting the size of my virtual memory.

My best guess is the game just runs out of ram while playing, but I have no clue why or what to really do about it. I have managed to reproduce this when I have basically nothing else running (well except discord). Having Chrome with Twitch or Youtube up on the side certainly does not seem to help with the issue, but my PC is beefy enough to run just about anything else in a similar setup.

Sometimes, before a Crash will occur, the game will load me into a zone and I will only see black instead of the assets, but be able to walk around and interact with triggers and even monsters just fine.
I usually relog then and crash another 1 or 2 zones later.

I have also played around with having the game on my SSD or my HDD and funnily enough it seems to crash later when launched from the HDD, though that might be recency bias.

I have only played online, so no clue if this also affects offline play, but since it seems memory related I’d assume so.
Attached the graphics ini, dxd diag, and playerlog from my last crash. Hope someone can help with this as I really want to keep playing but crashing in a later zones without getting to the Port marker and having to rerun it then drives me nuts.

le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)
Player.log (335.4 KB)
DxDiag.txt (117.8 KB)

For me it’s even worse. Not only the game crash and kills my characters on HC, but also it can crash my running apps, browser and even Windows services. Fantastic level of competence, actually. But with game running RAM never goes over 12Gb. Sorry, lazy to upload anything - R5, 32, Palit 3060

I have the same problem, 15%-20% chance to crash on every loading screen with unity crash window. The crash is so “powerful” that it’s also crashing my browser (chrome/firefox) and discord. Turning off all overlays and all apps running in background is not helping. Tried to ask a dev about this while he was on chat in game but got ignored of course. I somehow got to end game but doing arenas or dungeons is out of the question, waste of keys.
Specs
Win 10/ 1060 6gb/ i5 6600k/ 16 gb Ram

Hye there

In your DxDiag I can see:

Problem signature:
P1: Last Epoch.exe
P2: 2019.4.40.50731
P3: 62a10ee1
P4: UnityPlayer.dll
P5: 2019.4.40.50731
P6: 62a11020
P7: 80000003
P8: 0000000000ddcfcb
P9:
P10:

and

Problem signature:
P1: Last Epoch.exe
P2: 2019.4.40.50731
P3: 62a10ee1
P4: d3d11.dll
P5: 10.0.19041.2075
P6: 712c2e5f
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000129c10
P9:
P10:

UnityPlayer.dll is part of the Unity framework, not Last Epoch.
d3d11.dll is part of Direct3D (included with Windows).

80000003 is a breakpoint (which results in a hang or crash).
c0000005 is an access violation, which is when the module (Unity in this case) tries to write to memory it is not permitted to write.

I’ve had a look online and there are piles of Unity games experiencing similar issues. Here are a couple more things to consider, which might resolve the issue for you:

The only thing that had any effect on the issue: run .exe as admin, subjectively, 1.5-3 times more time till Unity crashes and less damage to system services and other apps.

I’ve tried that, I noticed that the first time I play LE each day is usually about an hour before crash, but after that first one its almost always 15-30mins until next unity crash. Game is so good but its getting frustrating trying to play through the unity crashes over and over.

@TexasRoadhouse @AskMeSweetLike

Theres apparently a fix for a memory leak on the way. That may resolve this sort of behaviour where you play for a while and then it crashes with no other pattern (such as always crashing on same scene)

Not a consistent pattern for me, all crashes have been during combat, not loading screens or standing still. Glad to here there is a fix on the way.

I cant guarantee the fix theyre looking at would fix your specific issues, but i sure hope it does :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, I “fixed” it by buying 32 gigs of ram.
Had also tried the you suggested @psychodrive but none of them lead to any changes.

No more crashes for now and I can run it on ultra settings. So yeah, definitely an issue on lower memory machines. Game hogs RAM like mad and if it competes with chrome something’s gotta give at some point. Haven’t gotten it to crash since upgrading though, so might not necessarily be a memory leak problem but simply be solvable with quantity

also confident @TexasRoadhouse is having a seperate issue since my crashes exclusively happened during loads and never during actual gameplay. But still, might be worth trying with more ram if you got the spare cash.

@TexasRoadhouse @AskMeSweetLike

Another person with similar errors found that resetting Windows virtual memory management settings to Automatic allowed them to play the game.

To try this, you can follow the instructions at this link and make sure to choose Automatically manage paging file size for all drives; or, for each drive, select Custom and System managed size

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/virtual-memory-low-heres-fix/

Hopefully this helps, but also fixes for memory leaks are coming soon too.

I mean… buying extra RAM for someone’s incompetence doesn’t seem to me as a fix.

Idk if there was any fix today, but I changed Auto-size for page file (12.5) to manual 16 Gb. Played for a couple of hours and lvled a character from 1 to 20 with no Unity crashes. Ultra settings, Chrome with videos plaback. For the entire test total used RAM was between 8.5 and 10.5 Gb.

Just as an example, during the last D4 beta, .exe alone ate 12-13 Gb of RAM and 10 of VRAM, and the game crashed only a few times a day.

I’ll test more later, but most of my passion for LE has gone during last 2 deaths caused by 20-sec server desyncs.

So far that fix has worked. I havent crashed in 2 hours, and honestly making it 30mins would be a win. Maybe this a permanent fix!!

1 Like

Yeah, i dont think buying more RAM is a good solution to solving memory leaks either. Im glad the page size change got you over the hump.

I heard the patch this week is likely to addreas some of the memory leaks, rubber banding and server issues. So theres hope that end too :slight_smile:

Very glad to hear this. Good luck!

Hopefully it gets less likely for everyone as they push out more patches

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.