Conclusion after a long break

2 crafts is not a statistically relevant number of crafts to prove a problem in the probability.

It is possible for you to fail 100 crafts at 90% success chance in a row. The chances of this happening are astronomically tiny.

If you get 2 fails in a row at 90%, the chances of that happening are 1%. So, while it is very unlikely, it is possible.

If you do 10 crafts on an item all in the 85-95% range, all of those feel like they should be sure things and any one of them failing would feel bad. There is about a 65% chance that one of them will fail. If any of them fail then all the success are pointless so you only remember the fail at high success chance.

Now, if you do that repeatedly, all you end up remembering is dozens of failures at high success chances. This is when we hear people say things like “it always fails at high success chance”. They aren’t wrong, most crafting failures happen at high success chance. I know this seems counterintuitive but it’s mathematically correct.

1 Like

OK, that’s how I understand it. I think I’m just unlucky when crafting

Possibly, we do have some big plans for crafting that will make this problem go away though.

That isn’t what happens. You just don’t understand how statistics and random number generation work.

https://imgur.com/hzaJ4Hn

Just like you were last month…

Second.

2 Likes

Why does this statement make me both excited and also filled with dread at the same time?
I trust you Mike, but please don’t pander too much to the “easy robot play mode” mob of incoming players from “elsewhere” who are no doubt starting to appear after a certain patch/league :wink:
Personally, I think crafting is in really good shape in LE. Stick to your instincts and don’t be tempted by “the dark side” :smiley:

1 Like

Yea, I can’t really give full details on it just yet but we are doing a ton of automated testing to make sure that the difficulty to get different average tiers from different starting points stays pretty similar to what it is now.

Some scenarios get very slightly easier and some scenarios get very slightly harder.

The goal in the changes is mostly to remove the feels bad that I was describing above. While still keeping the difficulty at a similar place.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Mike, much appreciated.

Don’t remove too much of the “feels bad”, there’s way too much emphasis on removing everything like that in today’s world due to all the little snowflakes out there. Life is full of “feels bad”, it’s about time the younger generation learnt to deal with it & got a little tougher imho. Purely my opinion as one of the dinosaur generations who never had snowflakes and still managed to come out the other side :smiley:

Oh please stop with such posts. This is generalisations that never have anything to do with the truth.

The crafting system currently is a Asian style slot machine. You put it an affix and rely on luck if the crafting is successful or bricks your item, making it useless in many cases.

There are so many ‘feels bad’ moments in life, that we have no control over. Why should we just program a game to evoke these feelings on purpose?

Disclaimer: I played PoE twice in my life and are in the late 30’s, so I don’t think I fall into the category of ‘young people want everything without effort’ (which is also a generalization that discriminates young people).

I’ve no fun with crafting currently. Especially after the last patches changed that tweaked the balance towards high tier crafts being harder, low tier crafts being easier.

This only make crafting more intuitive imho.

There were so much controversial discussions about crafting with valuable input so EHG decided to change things. They did not consider this because people were just ‘crying’ that it is too hard, but that the system in general feels not good enough on success to even out the frustration of failures you encounter.

This has nothing to do with player background or age.

3 Likes

While I agree with everything else you said, it doesn’t have anything to do with Asian games either.

You have your opinion, which I respect your right to, and I have mine. It’s all good, no need to get worked up.

I won’t stop posting my opinion, as that is what forums are for, neither would I ask you to stop posting yours. I also don’t agree with the “cancel culture”, which

this might be described as falling into if you are asking that seriously rather than flippantly. I do hope you are being flippant, and I choose to take it that way :smiley:

As far as Asian style slot machine crafting, I do think I know what you are referring to. There were a slew of WoW clone type games out of Korea etc a few years ago which all had that “craft or fail” system.

I personally don’t think that LE’s system is fairly compared to those though. LE’s is a progressively increasing failure rate, not an instant 50/50. After all, your first crafts in LE mostly have 0% failure rate. it’s only when going from say T15-T16 or T18-T19 that you dip your toes into “danger” territory.

Also,

Although I don’t quite grasp your logic explaining your exclusion, I do agree that this is also a category. I should point out that I don’t know you at all, neither did I ever say that you were in that category.

Using descriptive categories or generalisations is discrimination, by the first definition of said word. However it is important to note that there are now 2 dictionary definitions of the word “discriminate”. The traditional one is “[intransitive, transitive] to recognize that there is a difference between people or things; to show a difference between people or things” but the modern one added to it is “[intransitive] to treat one person or group worse/better than another in an unfair way”. Source: Oxford definition

1. We can only ever generalise or assign a descriptive category to people; without getting to know in depth every single person on the planet.
  2. “Shiny Red Car” does mean I am discriminating Cars that are Red & Shiny, however it does not mean that by doing so I am treating them better/worse in an UNFAIR manner., discriminating AGAINST Shiny Red Cars. I am merely identifying them as different from say “Dull Green Cars”.

It’s a GAME. You shouldn’t be taking it that seriously and comparing it to RL in the first place. Games are supposed to elicit emotions, but not ones that you take with you after you close the game down. If you dwell on emotions from a game after playing long into your RL, then that is something that requires an altogether different fix and not one that ANY Games company can help with.

Lastly, and I would say most importantly, my post that got you so agitated was made with large elements of flippancy and my own sense of humour. I’m sorry that you don’t get my sense of humour but it is understandable, as mine is somewhat weird some of the time. The fact that people take such posts so seriously however is another example of how people now days need to lighten up a little and stop getting offended by everything that’s relatively unimportant imho. In fact, even this reply I am making to you with definitions etc etc is all made completely flippantly, probably because it’s Sunday morning and I am a little bored. Please be assured that after closing this browser tab I won’t give this post another thought until I next happen to look at it.

Everyone is so worked up about everything little and insignificant these days and yet seem to ignore all the large important problems that go on outside in the real world.
Take these Trade/Bazaar/Crafting issues in LE for example. Some of us are discussing them in these forums impersonally, whereas some others are getting quite agitated and worked up. At the end of the day, it’s a GAME. It won’t prevent food arriving on your table, having a roof over your head, or affect the well being of your family. Those issues I can understand people becoming irate over, a Game, not so much. People, in general, need to chill out a little and regain more perspective.

I do hope that you can learn not to take everything quite so seriously. My own personal experience is that I have found way more joy in my life once I came to the realisation that it’s not worth stressing over little things, or things I cannot change. Sadly, that did not come to me until into my 40’s, and I too spent my youth stressing over things that, with hindsight, were completely pointless.

I hope you have a nice, happy, & stress free, weekend :smiley:

I can tell you that if your getting micro stutters and stuff its probably a driver issue, someone is probably right on that. And honestly, its not a completely weird scenario, graphic drivers are notorious for needing to be updated to play games. I keep mine up to date. I actually found out I had a ton of problems with my PC after installing this game, and i did a full windows repair and reinstall and all my issues with this game stopped completely, so yes, operating system issues can cause problems with a game.

Yep :wink:

Because

and

That’s a weird way to look at games. So if games or elements of games are unfun or evoke negative emotions, this is a “me” problem?

Also I did not state that I have a real life problem. No idea where that psychological profiling comes from.

Your whole post just is so full of arrogance - you call it humor.

I’m not the one who wrote an essay as an answer on a forum. So you should stick to your own advice and don’t take things on the internet too seriously.

2 Likes

A game developer’s desire to alter/remove mechanics that result in players unnecessarily feeling bad about their leisure activity is not a microcosm for the zeitgeist.

You seem to be forgetting that we’re talking about a game - a hobby/leisure activity that people engage in for fun. I think it’s really weird and really off-putting that you decided to use that as a jumping off point for boomer soapboxing about “snowflakes in today’s world”.

Then why did you?

2 Likes

Yup, I do make mistakes when posting, and often, although I’m more than happy to admit to it. I can assure you that I’m not taking it all that seriously though. When I write walls of text it’s just out of long-standing habit. Yes, I did boomer soapbox as well. It’s a pet peeve, so I got sidetracked from chatting game, I think it’s a side effect of typing too much.

I didn’t mean it to sound as though I was referring to you in particular. When I said “you” I meant it in a far more generic sense, I just didn’t express that well enough. I should have been more careful with my grammar and said something like “some people”.
Anyway, no need to be so sensitive guys. I’ll try harder to be much more PC in future when posting. I’d hate to hurt anyone’s feelings. :smile:
Yes, probably more “arrogance” and “weirdness”.

2 Likes

While the “feels bad” is pretty subjective, I would argue the purpose of a game is to not “feel bad”. The point of a game is to have fun. Games should be enjoyed. If a game makes me angry or agitated, it is a game I will uninstall rather quickly. While there should be some amount of difficulty or challenge, things should be mostly deterministic given enough effort by the player. People, in general, want to feel like they are rewarded for hard work and effort.

Keep up the good work, but please don’t change the crafting too much, or just don’t implement % to apply random affix…

Blockquote

We aren’t planning on changing the core functionality of the crafting system.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.