Conclusion after a long break

Hello, I haven’t played the game for a long time and I’m now looking back. I think the game has not improved, ok the graphics look better, the endgame has been changed.

the crafting system is still bad my things are still broken with a chance of 80-90%.

My system i9 9900k Geforce RTX 2080 and 32 GB Ram play at 1080p and it is very subterranean in terms of performance.

Simple question, the game will appear in German at all.

So it has improved?

Yeah that will happen
Its not 100%

The game defintely improves on performance every patch and its had 4? 5? Major patches this year? Alot of things skills areas mobs have improved amd perform better

I believe ive seen before they want more languages but will happen after 1.0? Someone can correct me on that one

3 Likes

What do you define as subterranean?

As this is not a first person shooter type game, ridiculous levels of FPS is not really needed and with that hardware you should be able to play at 1440p with close to if not max settings with a more than decent framerate in all but the absolute most hectic high mob numbers/particle effects… My 1060 gets 60fps at 1080p with medium settings… 100fps with very low settings…

Willing to help try and improve your experience…

I also have 80 fps that’s not the problem. But I have strong micro stutters.

I know that 90 is not 100 but if the item breaks at 90 every 2 times it is not 90%

You can find many post that have numbers and evidence of many, many, many test being done on crafting and the numbers are spot on.

Remember: “Most car accidents happen close to home. Why? Because this path must be taken to get further away.”

3 Likes

The devs have tested the code for crafting billions of times and the chance to fracture is what the game says it is.

2 Likes

Only 80fps on a 2080 @ 1080p, would suggest Ultra settings.

Imho, the visual difference between Ultra and High graphics quality is not worth the loss of performance but @ only 1080p I would not have thought your setup would be having any hassles whatsoever so there is likely something wrong.

Barring bugs & known fps killer moments in game, micro stutters are usually caused by 1) GPU driver issues, 2) the GPU being maxed out all the time without processing headroom, 3) certain in game maps/ areas with lots of effects or 4) other apps/activities on your system taking resources when LE wants them (could be anything from cpu,gpu, memory, drives).

A last possible cause of these issues can also be hardware, especially on overlocked systems that are not 100% stable - this is however not a usual cause as people playing LE dont seem to overclock into the redline. A quick check of a dxdiag diagnostic report can usually tell if there are any other underlying issues on a system.

If you are having timeouts / recoverable crashes in game that could explain the stuttering, then the player logs can have details on these but there are various things that can be done to improve the game even without any obvious errors.

• Driver issues are obviously solved by using a recent new driver version… Sometimes its important to do a safe mode driver reinstallaion to make sure that drivers are correctly replaced. If you are not crashing etc, then the normal driver upgrade process will probably be fine. Note. Do not use version 466.77 as this has known issues. Obviously if you are doing any special driver level configuration changes (i.e. not defaults) you need to see if they are influencing the stuttering.

• Preventing the GPU from maxing out and having headroom to handle more is easiest done by enabling the framerate limiting. It varies by system hardware/setup and in-game configuration (res & quality settings) but I have found that setting the framerate limit in The End of TIme “town” (with your character doing nothing) to where the GPU usage is somewhere around 60-70% seems to give the GPU the headroom to handle busy in-action moments and allows it to provide a much better / smoother experience… If you do NOT include a framerate limit then LE will attempt to max out your GPU (sometimes for no apparent reason) which will cause problems… Side Note: your monitor Hz plays a big part in this - if its a 60hz monitor it can only show 60fps physically so there will be rapidly diminishing returns of setting it too much higher than your monitor can handle anyway - especially in a game like this where max fps doesnt matter too much. Vsync obviously does the same thing as framerate limiting, but it seems a bit flaky right now and doesnt give you control to manage the gpu usage.

• There are certain maps that the devs know about / are investigating that can cause either a gradual loss of fps as you run them or cause a strange drop in fps or stuttering… This also seems to be the case with areas with lots of animations/particle effects. Reducing in game settings does tend to mitigate the impact of these issues but not solve them… This one is up to the devs. Side note: if you are experiencing the micro stuttering in a repeatable way using a specific skill combination or piece of gear on a specific map / area then you may have stumbled on a bug that needs investigating and it would be good if you can post something in the bug forum about it.

• However unlikely, there are instances of other apps running that cause odd problems so for testing purposes - to see if something else is causing the problem - disable or dont run anything in background on your system… this includes overlays like Steam (the game doesnt use it anyway)…

Hey, everyone’s entitled to their opinion, and any game is not always for everyone.

I kind of fail to see the point of most of the OP though. I can understand a critical post, I can understand a praising post, but in both cases they’re helped by specifics and details.

The only details I can pick out from OP is:

• “A lack of a German translation”? Maybe the devs can look at that if it isn’t available, but I suspect that volunteers to translate might help? OP, are you volunteering?
  • “The game has not improved”. Ok, it’s an opinion, but with zero specifics to explain why.
  • “Crafting system, 80-90% failure rates”. An opinion but again with zero specifics. If you try to T20 every single item, I can see it being a 95% failure rate, but I think that’s perfectly ok. If there was no chance of failure, what would be the point? However, if you are trying for a T16 and stop at T16, the failure rate I have experienced is closer to 60%.
  • “Subterranean” - I guess this must be a translation issue but I have no clue what OP means by that.

With any of these posts, there has to be a purpose to posting. IF you want to complain with a view to making devs look at the post and maybe fix things; then you have to make specific detailed complaints or moans. If you just want to complain with no goal to it, then it’s nothing more than trolling. To be Devil’s Advocate, the same can be said for praising posts occasionally (white knight type posts). Simply saying to a critic “you are wrong”, “it is great” without substantiation is also a form of trolling.

I guess my reply could be construed as trolling as well, but as there’s nothing substantive to really reply to from the OP what choice do we have? LOL :smiley:

1 Like

I have games that have much higher demands on my PC and I don’t have these problems. And now I should do something to check my PC for errors because of Last Epoch.

Your statement it is of course on the pc is just ridiculous if 30 games before that do not have this problem.

I now need drivers tailored to last epoch yes haha.

My purpose in replying to your thread was to find a way to better experience the game in its current state.

Last Epoch is a beta game and is unoptimised - Comparing it to any launched games serves no purpose.

Updating drivers on systems is a common and generally good part of computer maintenance irrespective of any problems.

Doing this testing is a good way to help the developers resolve issues in the game and is a good way to be a constructive member of the community.

Obviously after your last comment I could care less if you play the game or not.

Cheers

1 Like

I was summoned by the linking of a post.

While we aren’t ready to pick out specific languages to translate to just yet, Germany is one of our top countries for player base. Last time I looked it was number 2.

The crafting percentage is accurate. I am absolutely certain of this. If you believe it to be wrong, I am very open to looking at evidence showing it is wrong. Evidence that will convince me looks like 100+ contiguous crafts shown in an unedited recording. If you can show me this, I will rewrite the code.

Having said that, the feeling that it is wrong is enough for us to re-evaluate how it works and is displayed. I’ve talked fairly extensively about this on stream but it boils down to that because the highs aren’t very high and the lows feel like you’ve been cheated, we should probably change how it works. So we are working on a replacement system that alters the system just enough to feel much better but doesn’t betray its identity.

8 Likes

Why so aggressive. I understand English very poorly and I have to translate your text into a translator and I understood it to mean that my PC and drivers are to blame for the Last Epoch not going well. And I think that’s impossible because other titles with more stringent requirements do well. Was that wrong?

You yourself say I shouldn’t compare Last Epoch with other titles because it’s still in the EA. Yes, then we have already found the error, it is not optimized well yet, do not blame my PC and driver.

I don’t know how can I prove anything. If I craft the crafting items with a 90% chance, then maybe not at 90% it should just break every 9 times or I make a mistake.

My items break at 90% chance but every 2-3 times and then I ask is it really 90% you understand.

2 crafts is not a statistically relevant number of crafts to prove a problem in the probability.

It is possible for you to fail 100 crafts at 90% success chance in a row. The chances of this happening are astronomically tiny.

If you get 2 fails in a row at 90%, the chances of that happening are 1%. So, while it is very unlikely, it is possible.

If you do 10 crafts on an item all in the 85-95% range, all of those feel like they should be sure things and any one of them failing would feel bad. There is about a 65% chance that one of them will fail. If any of them fail then all the success are pointless so you only remember the fail at high success chance.

Now, if you do that repeatedly, all you end up remembering is dozens of failures at high success chances. This is when we hear people say things like “it always fails at high success chance”. They aren’t wrong, most crafting failures happen at high success chance. I know this seems counterintuitive but it’s mathematically correct.

1 Like

OK, that’s how I understand it. I think I’m just unlucky when crafting

Possibly, we do have some big plans for crafting that will make this problem go away though.

That isn’t what happens. You just don’t understand how statistics and random number generation work.

https://imgur.com/hzaJ4Hn

Just like you were last month…

Second.

2 Likes