Classes and Genders Suggestions

Hello my friends!
I just wanna ask devs if they are going to allow us to select a gender for any class in the game. It will be nice if it will be possible. As far as I know it is possible to select any gender for any class in Diablo 3 and I disliked that you can’t select a gender for the class in Path of Exile. Of course I am not asking for some character generator like in Bloodborne but it will be nice to have at least a possibility to select a gender and maybe make genders slightly different. I meant that maybe male should be a bit stronger than female but be less nimble or clever.
More of it I would like to ask devs to consider possibility to change gender of your character in the game. I meant that maybe some character like illusionist in Grim Dawn or some magical surgeon can turn male into female and vice versa. Also maybe it will be reasonable to tie this possibility with the opportunity to change your character’s name.
What do you think of it folks?
Thanks in advance for any answers!

It’s something the devs are aware of, but it will require huge amouts of extra work.

There is a giant thread about thi, if you wanna read more about it.

The suggestion to change the gender of an existing character however is something I have not heard yet.

I don’t think that it would be good to change names and gender of already existing Chars.

4 Likes

Why not?

1 Like

Because if you choose a name and a Male/Female character, why you would want to change it later? Create another one. I don’t think all need to be fully customizable. Besides, I’m not a developer and I don’t understand at all programming, but change the name of an already existing character on an online game (I mean, when multiplayer launchs) couldn’t create “problems”? Seriously I don’t know this.

Character should not feel replaceable.

Having enough options and customization on creation is totally fine.

But changing existing characters is something I never liked in any kind of game.

1 Like

Because after having made 70-odd characters, I don’t always feel like playing through the campaign again in order to make a new build. I’ve got 69-odd characters sitting there doing nothing, why shouldn’t I be able to repurpose a Spriggan Shaman into a Maelstrom Shaman (or whatever)? Don’t respecs exist for a reason?

I agree with respec skills/passives but not for free as I read in other topic. In my -unpopular- opinion, should be even a little more expensive.
But if you have the option to choose the sex of your character, the name, etc. at first, and you can edit them later, nobody will create more characters, just 1 for each class because you can edit it infinitely and change builds as you want. So one reason I think about why is better to restrict this, it’s because this will make that choose matters as the same thing I think it’s better to have an EXP penalization when you die, so you would try to avoid to die as hard as you can if you don’t want to be stuck in “X” level. But maybe is my PoV only and can be wrong.

You have so many characters and that’s nice if you enjoyed playing them all, but I will not apply that as a general rule. At least I don’t imagine having so many characters haha.

The amount of work this would require, not just the character models, this is nothing compered to changing item models. Every body armor, helmet made into two different versions and many many other things and animations.
For me the required resource from the devs doesn’t come even close to matching the positive impact it would have on the game.
So I’m definitely NO on this, there are so many other more important things that would actually improve the game that need to be done before 1.0.

5 Likes

Personally I do not care at all whatsoever. In those games you can do and have the option of doing so, you can, and in the ones you can´t you quite simply can´t.
How it have worked and always worked for me is that you Pick a Sorcerer, and if that is just a Female, then you go and just play with that, and that is it. I never ever think halfway in the game, that I wished I could change Gender at the Start of the game. Or even midway change it for that matter.
If you choose and it is only a Male Barbarian, then it only is so.
You want to play the game, choose your class and on you go on adventure, and then you play is you want to play.
If picking Gender is so extremely important, go for another game that laready has it.

4 Likes

I think it is important to distinguish between the literary elements of a game. While Diablo 3’s classes were not gender locked, the story was presented as if you (the player) were an individual character without a detailed backstory.

In the previous Diablo games, classes were gender locked to create unique characters with deeper and more meaningful history. Both Path of Exile and Last Epoch follow the same structure - we have unique, pre-determined characters. These characters are not meant to be a reflection of the players desires - they are their own individual stories that we get to follow along.

I understand that some individuals would prefer if they could role-play as a fancification of their ideal, original character, but that is simply asking too much. From both a technical and logistical perspective it is far too demanding this early. EHG has already mentioned that they would consider doing something in the distant future. However, I think it would be a waste of resources that could be better spent working on more story content to better flesh out these already established characters.

Especially considering that gender has no impact as a game mechanic, this isn’t something that should be anywhere on EHG’s radar.

4 Likes

Totally agree, I tried to explain this in another post on the same subject and people thought I’m crazy. Many people believe there are only two possible positions one could have on this, either you want gender choice or you don’t care, and they can’t understand why would there be a third option, where people actually prefer gender locked characters for the very reasons you mention. because they feel more like an actual character and not just a bland avatar created solely for us to use.

2 Likes

It is a shame, really.

There are so many games where you play as the unknown (and truly unknowable), nameless Messiah. It is so much more interesting to have characters interact in meaningful and interesting ways. Game series like Divinity and Baulder’s Gate have so much depth for each of their characters, it would be a shame for Last Epoch to become another mindless hack and slash like so many before it.

1 Like

I agree with you all, in fact, wouldn’t be better instead for EHG team to invest in develop each character than considering add male/female for each one? I assume they will do in a future anyway.

2 Likes

But we also should know that Last Epoch is not going to be another Baldur’s Gate or Final Fantasy. It is an Action RPG after all. There are many plotline oriented RPG where you creating customised character at the beginning of the game and this does not cripple storyline at all. For instance, Icewind Dale (you creating the whole party of six characters from the scratch), Divine Divinity, Elder Scrolls series, Wizards&Warriors and many other awesome games. I am not speaking about Dark Souls series and Bloodborne.
So I can’t agree on this subject. We are not going to have another Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger game after all.
But anyway it is up to devs as to what they are going to implement into their game and if they are going to listen to some fans or not. It is totally fine.

There is nothing to agree or disagree here. its e personal preference. We are not saying that gender locking is an objectively correct choice. We (or at least I) simply prefer it that way, and when you put on top of that the amount of work that would take to make this, instead of something else, makes it an easy choice - NO.
I was only arguing against the position of some people here, saying that preferring gender locked characters is not even a thing, and they would try to convince you that it is an objectively wrong position. Besides that, again, its a personal preference.
I personally hope EHG would not waste man power and time on a thing like this.

4 Likes

But this isn’t at all the same as being able to change the name and gender of that existing character. I like being able to repurpose a character to get a different build, but I don’t need to change the gender or name to do that.

So you don’t think it’s a bit odd that “LlamaWarpathPally” is actually a Hammer Throw Smite build & should therefore clearly be named “LlamaSmiteyHammers”?

It is, and I don’t disagree with the possible opportunity to change a character name. I have some characters I named based on the build I was going with and would like to change that. That however doesn’t mean that I should be able to change the gender, nor that it means I “can’t” play a build that doesn’t match my name. :wink:

I dont agree

if I had to choose that and more skills and a better game I will choose the better game, im not uncomfortable with myself than I cannot play a character of the opposite sex

Agreed on that. The resources are limited. But if Last Epoch become super successful like Path of Exile or even more than devs should consider the possibility to allow us to select gender.