Can't get past Monolith 80 and 85

I am playing Lizard’s Detonating Arrow build and following it very closely, although I have not yet got his level of damage. But I can’t kill the bosses for monoliths 80 and 85. I’m level 81.

Is this build just no good at doing these tough bosses? Or do I need even better gear? Or do I need to grind to 90 first?

Any advice welcome. I breezed through everything else but now I"m stuck.

Just to say, I’ve now died to the 85 dragon boss about 6-7 times and I’m about to give up. Don’t understand how such a good game could make such massive spikes in difficulty, so that a character can breeze through monolith 85 stages but die to its boss in a few seconds, without any seeming chance to not die. pretty frustrating tbh…

Dont stand in the big freaking telegraphed AOE Attack?
You can simply run outside and not get hit.

Or is another attack killing you?

Its almost absolutely your lack of skill and probably lack of defense on your gear. Sorry to say. There should be no reason that would prevent you from passing those monolith bosses. They are not incredibly difficult, but if you cant avoid the telegraphed hits youll be killed no matter what. Your level is not the problem. Again, I’m sorry, but its most likely youre not avoiding the things you need to. Unless youre dying to the wave phase on lagon. In that case you need to up your cold res/lightning res.
Its ok though! You can practice the fights and learn them well. After that youll have no problems with this character and the ones that follow:)

The only thing from the Dragon Emperor you’re supposed to be able to facetank is his swipe. All of his other attacks (both big AoEs & the breath are supposed to kill you if you don’t move out of the way.

I can’t see where I can move to. The AoE fills the screen

I ran to the edge and it goes all the way to the edge. it is the aoe that kills me every time

I’ve played 3000+ hours of PoE and completed all content, with minmax characters. So it’s not skill. And my gear and defences follow the guide.

It’s the aoe that fills the whole screen, which I can’t see any way to mitigate.

That I have to ask here says that there is something pretty poor with the design of this boss imo.

The boss is just fine. Just move aside from the big aoe. Every character can be build to sustain that aoe dmg w/o duying, if you are duying because you can’t avoid simple mechanic or because you don’t have enough resistane, dodge, damage reduction, glancing blow, endurance, hp, ward its totally your fault.

It doesn’t quite fill the entire screen, there are some safe spaced. If the boss is centered in the zone you can run to the edge of the zone to be out of the AoE. If you’re not sure, run to the south as there’s more useable area there.

If the boss is off-centre then running in the other direction will give you more safe space to use, though you do need to be aware of the red bleed/degen pools that creep in from the corners.

Sometimes people need a bit of a helping hand to deal with a mechanic that’s simple when you know how. Telling them to “git gud” or that it’s “their fault” isn’t particularly helpful.

3 Likes

The mechanic is actually a little sneaky, the first part is the aoe directly around the boss and then the second is inverted, the area close to the boss is safe and the outside is dangerous. I highly suggest having a look at the last video in this post, it explains the mechanics well imo.

exactly. thanks for saying this

1 Like

That is definitely true. Having animated many training sessions during my career, I strongly approve of that, it is completely right.
But in this game I also sometimes found that I was the cause of my problems. We all can learn and improve.
The most important thing is not to shame anyone and to keep a constructive and opened point of view.

aha! That is incredibly helpful. I was staying at the bottom, so the dragon moved towards me, and that’s why it’s aoe leaves no room to move once it does that. I need to rush to it and then move in and out of the aoe and donut aoe.

I’ll try again.

1 Like

Hi all,

I want to share my experience here too as I died like 5-6 times with one of my toons as well on the boss dragon. It was not due to the reason not knowing the mechanics but I was just too slow. Having no proper movement skill with Sentinal and together with a bad modifier (slow on hit) I just couldn’t escape fast enough. I had to change attributes and switch to movement speed rings to be able to manage. Very annoying!

Please work on Lounge for Sentinal! :slight_smile:

That shouldn’t be correct though I suspect as the AoE graphic is raised off the ground & the angle of the camera makes it appear as though the dangerous area is shifted north.

The youtube video on the boss talks about this and that is what I experienced too. there was no space at the bottom of the screen to stand

Did you drag him all the way down to the starting area? Or does that get sealed off when combat starts? I’ve never run that way, I usually go left or right.

I had that happen, too. Its not the first aoe attack, as hes centred at that point. But if you pull him to a specific direction theres defenitely the possibility that you cannot get out of the aoe radius if you accidentally run away the same vector you pulled him. Theres the boundaries of the arena tha will block you.

Sentinel has the most issues, imho. Even with Shield rush I managed to get stuck on obstacles on my way out. As Primalist you can leap out, Acolyte and Lich can teleport and Rogues shift is very fast and flexible. Shieldrush feels absolute clunky to use in that situation…