Buy and Download the game

From the Steam Account Linking support article:

Those who buy Last Epoch through Steam or obtain a Steam key will be prompted to register a Last Epoch account within the game client before playing for the first time.

Once you’ve created this Last Epoch account you should now be able to follow Llama8’s directions by visiting this website and clicking the My Account button in the top right which prompts you to enter the credentials of the Last Epoch account you created when launching the game the first time on Steam.

Then you can select to download the launcher of your choice (Windows or Linux). Or, at least, that’s how I assume it works – been a long time for myself as well.

1 Like

To summarize: I buy the game on Steam for 30€. return to this “last epoch” page and then find the windows client to download; very questionable. how does the “last epoch” website want to know that i have purchased a steam key and is now giving me the option to download it !!! ???

It really isnt this complicated - at least it wasnt when I first did this for testing over 2 years ago.

As long as you have logged in to the game for the first time via the Steam launcher with your Last Epoch account, then you can download the standalone game from your Last Epoch EHG account page - which now knows that you have a Steam copy.

If thats not working then perhaps there is a problem somewhere that may require you logging a support ticket directly with EHG. Submit a request – Last Epoch Support

2 Likes

From my understanding, and how I recall doing it, if you purchase the game on Steam you need to do the following before you can get access to the standalone launcher:

1. Purchase the game on Steam.
  2. Download and install game on Steam.
  3. Launch game on Steam (will only need to do this once).
  4. Register a Last Epoch account through the game client. Now you have an account that can be used outside of Steam on the LE website.
  5. Proceed to the Last Epoch website and click on My Account in the top right which prompts you to enter the credentials of the Last Epoch account you created when launching the game via Steam.
  6. You should now have access to your account page and can select to download the standalone launcher of your choice (Windows or Linux).
2 Likes

ah; if i play first tame last epoch one steamclient, there i will found a registration button for the last epch client ? correct ?

Yes, you will be required to register (create) a Last Epoch account upon first launching the game via the Steam client.

Though, I imagine you should be able to use your G4ND4LF account by selecting the I Have a Last Epoch Account option located at the bottom, which brings up this page:

Clicking on I Have an Account then brings up the login page:

Personally, I registered via the game client so I’m not 100% sure of this but I would assume that you can use your current LE account to login and it would then be automatically registered. If not, please contact support so they can do it on their end and you don’t have to create another account.

2 Likes

perfect, thats my answer. thx for helping !!!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s being outweighted by resource hog (and exceptionally lame customer support) of said ‘patcher’.
I’d still prefer stand-alone - even if it would gonna lock me out to singleplayer-only.

Is that from personal development experience?

Development? I’m a mere player - and I’m annoyed by Steam enough to abandon my account there.
As of development, ex-coworker of mine tackled it professionally. But it was seven years ago. While I don’t expect any improvement there, improvements could happen. So I’ll hold my negativity on this part.

Personally, I do not like game clients like Steam, Epic etc, but they do provide benefits that generally outweigh the negative aspects - especially ease of game management and purchasing.

For Steam specifically, I disable auto startup, Steam Overlays, Steam Cloud and all notifications etc - which makes it generally more palatable without losing the benefits. Steam 7 years ago was a totally different beast to what it is today so I would not compare what it did then to how it performs now.

What I REALLY hate is all the game publishers trying to have their own launchers so you end up with all the bloatware crap installed that you have to manually disable everything for - usually just for one game. In that regard, Steam & Epic are imho, far better options.

But anyway, we have to follow whatever the devs decide. If we cannot bring ourselves to, then we just dont play anymore. For me its simple because its just a game and is not chosing a hospital for heart surgery.

1 Like

Two seemingly unrelated thoughts on the topic.

1. Using Steam COSTS 5$/year. It’s built to make you pay that cost (and then some) to dive into its infinite cesspool of toxic social interactions.
    Voluntary.
    If (IF) the situation would gonna change, I’ll consider positive sides of using Steam.
    For now… there are other contenders fighting over my playtime (since my wallet lost its sex appeal even for my 4th ex-gf… I’d consider the situation as “good enough”). Had my share of toxicity for a lifetime.

2. Per-publisher (or even per-title) unique launchers are not bad.
    Unless it’s Factorio + anything else, you can play only one game at a time. And you need to keep that game updated, one at a time at most.
    Given modern age of gigabit connections everywhere, even on remote islands, nothing obliges you to keep your whole library installed/updated “just in case”.

I’m a binge gamer. I keep at least 100 games installed. I consider days when I play less that 3 different games a waste.
And even I consider “singular launcher for everything” as a nuisance.
If I’d need anything like that, I’ll stick with solutions made by professionals. Like PlayNite. No ads, no toxicity, no reverse-psychology. Does exactly what’s written on a tin.
And its support won’t provoke you into breaching their own EULA.

Think about it.

Everything costs something in this world so thats a non issue for me in terms of preference.

I do not participate in Steam social interaction / support or anything else. I have never refunded a game, never had a Steam related issue, never had a transaction query, never contacted steam about any interaction or anything in the decade i have used Steam. I dont use most of Steam features and dont put personal info on it. So that is all irrelevant to my use of the system.

Sounds like thats something that has napalmed it for you and I doubt anything Steam themselves could do to fix that. Thats the kind of door that stays shut once closed.

I dont have more than 2 or 3 games installed at any given moment (doesnt matter if they are via Steam or anything else) - I play games to completition and then I uninstall - I may play the game again after a year or two if I liked it (e.g. Witcher 3, FalloutNV etc) else I seldom touch them again. Thats just me.

Part of individual launchers is that they leave crap on your system - even if they say they dont - and the effort you have to go through creating new accounts for launchers when you only play a single game can get tedious. At least with a single game environment like Steam - its one devil you have to deal with instead of 10.

One thing about all of this is that I am disconnected from any emotional involvement in things like this. All of this is just a game and honestly has no importance in my real life beyond entertainment value and if its too much hassle, then I wouldnt and dont bother.

Playnite. Never heard of it and honestly, dont have enough games, nor are games that important to me to warrant needing this kind of solution. Sounds interesting tho.

1 Like

I wish I had known about buying the game directly from the devs on the website before I purchased it. I bought the game for $35 for myself on Steam and then bought it for my brother as well on Steam. We have both enjoyed the game for hundreds of hours already and will enjoy it for hundreds more. The way PoE has been going lately, I see LE as being my MAIN ARPG in the future! :slight_smile:

That ain’t a secret, mentioned it earlier.
Their Customer Support insisted that I have to do a thing to fix… let’s say, some really minor nuisance. The problem is, their proposed solution violated Steam’s EULA. I cited its problematic part, asked if they sure that I have to breach it, if they’re OK with that. Got a rather generic reply, the main idea of which was ‘we answered your question already, buzz off’.
shrugs
Wish granted. Buzzed off under a black flag.
You see, after wasting 5.5 years of my life in gamedev (~3 years of which were spent learning the ropes in Customer Support), I learned one important lesson. If Customer Support became too lazy to tackle legal matters properly, RUN. Especially if done in such oblivious manner.

And that’s the word of not a mere Man - that’s the word of a Wise Man!
It’d be a pleasure to discuss a thing or two with you eventually.
Once… sigh… The Longest Night which devoured our land is over… if you know what I mean.

I’d like to see an example, honestly, as I can only recall Gaijin and My.Games launchers (which are totally not of ‘individual launchers’ breed) displaying such inappropriate behaviour - but these are common in our CIS region only.
Oh, and Origin - but Origin is about to give up the ghost, at last. While their new EA app is quite… bad, it’s still an improvement over Origin’s… whims.
Oh, and Riot Launcher with their weird precautions - but only if you’re planning to play Valorant.
As of more specialized launchers, from Escape from Tarkov to our beloved Last Epoch, everything’s kinda fine.

Considering account creation part, are there any services and games in which account creation is not a flustercuck nowadays?
“Your password must contain three letters with different capitalization and a Roman number. To activate your account, please upload a scan of your rearprint. That’s it, like fingerprint, but rear. Also, 2FA is mandatory, don’t you have phones?”
shrugs x2

Maybe that’s for good.
I personally don’t like its development direction.
However, after GOG Galaxy 2.0 flop, it’s the next best thing. Unless you’re using Linux. Lutris seems to be the only solid option on Linux.

Not if that I’m being picky. Just in talkative mood (which, once again, I’ll regret eventually). And full of nostalgie about times when developers didn’t tried to fix problems which, honestly, are not their business. Like account security. My account security is my headache. Kindly stop thinking for me about what’s good for account security, I can use that head of mine just fine.

I don’t understand what you say here. Where does steam have a yearly fee?

I’ve never noticed Steam charging me a subscription, is that a developer thing? I’ve also never used the Steam forums so their toxicity isn’t an issue.

They really are, I don’t want to have a bazillion different launchers installed on my machine all with their own startups, clamouring for my attention, etc. Steam just works and I’m used to it so I don’t want to have other crap that works less well (Epic, EA, etc) installed.

I love Hyperbole. @vapourfire what’s the average download speed where you are?

Dont be nasty about deepest darkest africa :scream:

Entirely off topic and just out of interest, my city has a fixed line average of about 50Mbps - but thats heavily skewed due to local demographics and infrastructure. Mobile data is about 40Mbps and is more likely what the majority of people have via their cell network. Personally I am on 200Mbps (synchronous) fibre - I can get 1Gbps but its a little cost prohibitive especially considering 200 is more than enough for my families needs.

1 Like

Customer Support - yip. I started out doing that many decades ago. It is a very hard job usually given to the least experienced and knowledgeable people in a business and somehow this is considered acceptable for a client facing role that can potentially destroy or enhance a customers view of a product/business. Never understood this particular business approach. Its like teachers in most countries being a low paid profession that draws people who shouldnt be teaching at all (drop outs, failures, unable to get other jobs), let alone responsible for the future generations education. But I digress.

Launchers - I am with Llama8 on this - too many crap apps to manage and use. Origin would definitely be on my list of worst ones and a prime example of how not to do it. Old fashioned, game launchers without any other features like trying to sell you another game or unneccessarily drain resources etc are most definitely preferable but publishers dont do this anymore… I think the last time I saw an old fashioned game running without any launcher etc was an open source one.

Account creation - yeah. Personally I am keen for one of the hardware based standards to become the norm for everything but I dont think we are anywhere near that yet and there are problems with every solution out there. Even cellphone auth apps are annoying because everyone wants to use their own and waiting for an auth code to be messaged for every login etc is tedious. and god help you if you lose your Cellphone. Whatever the solution, I dont think we are there yet so single sign-on for games in environments like Steam are useful.

Whoa-whoa… I live with 4Mbps cable - and it’s mostly enough. Just needs some premeditation if you’re planning to download something big (overnight).

An insight from ex-WG employee: on average, Customer Support is not assotiated with particular game’s cash flow. So noone’s interested to invest into it (because it simply does not net a dime - only spends. Pure loss!)
And noone bothers to calculate actual losses from degenerated support because ‘hey! CEO don’t like to see sheer negativity! especially if it’s expences!’ or ‘hey! who cares - you’re doing fine!’ or ‘hey! you think you’ll use it to justify a raise?’ or ‘hey! you’re a team player or what? quit this beep dammit!’
^ from personal working experience on not the lowestmost position.
Even during better times CS was a burden for everyone but themselves.

sigh
Now I’m depressed…
(thou shalt not flinch because of that - it’s my normal condition)