Burning Habor constant crashes

I tried the map 4 times in a row and my tries lasted between 10 seconds and 25 seconds.

1 hard crash (had to restart PC)
2 unity crashes (to desktop with "unity error window)
1 unity crash with pink pixel grid on my screen and no unity error window before crashing back to desktop

I play an very “flashy” Dragon bow build and i had the impression that the “fire effects” on the map and the graphical fireworks of the bow dont work well.

Player-prev.log (79.3 KB)
Log file of the last crash
DxDiag.txt (101.6 KB)

I played 74 crash free levels before and 10 crash free monos after it on other map layouts so everything else is fine. Im 99,99% sure that its related to that one map.

Sidenote: i had MASSIVE problems with burning pier as a campaign map a long time back (1,5 years?) … with 8.3 it stopped and i never had any problem again on this map - my last 10 chars made it through story burning pier quite fine)#

I am very sorry i named the story map “Burning Habor” yesterday - it is called “Burning Pier”.

Hey there…

The log is full of Direct3D errors just before the game crashes…

d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=128 h=2 d3dfmt=10 [887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x5 mode 0 size 4032) [0x887A0005]
D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (2560 x 1440 fmt 27 aa 1), error 0x887a0005
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x1 mode 1 size 5760) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x2 mode 1 size 288) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: attempt to lock null buffer

These are usually what happens if the game is having performance related instability - especially when people try playing the game at settings that are too high for their hardware and the current unoptimised state of the game…

But you have said that you have 10 other chars who are not having this issue so I thinking a little further… maybe its this character and not the map…

Assuming by Dragon Bow Build, you mean the new Dragonsong - Unique Longbow - Bow - Last Epoch Item Database ? It could be that this is related to the new special effects of the new unique and it might be the issue… To confirm this, can you temporarily replace the Dragon bow with something else and run through the same map? If it doesnt crash then it could be the new unique.

Alternatively, could you temporarily drop your game settings - dramatically to 1080p, very low settings and do the same map with your Dragon bow in place… If it doesnt crash, then this could definitely point to the unique being part of the problem by requiring much more GPU/CPU resources than it should in certain situations.

New Uniques in the past have been the cause of very specific issues so its not unlikely that you might have stumbled on a bug with the unique.

Please try that and see what happens…

Edit:: I am very sorry i named the story map “Burning Habor” yesterday - it is called “Burning Pier”!

Thank you very much.

Yes thats the bow.

I played every other map with this bow just fine - only this one map crashes for me. Thats why my suggestion was “MAP” not “ITEM”.

Not having played much in the last weeks i havent checked the same map with any other char - but i will do this hopefully this evening. Lets see if my VK manages to crash that map too.

Regarding lowering Resolution - that was my bugfix for the very same crashes in the past:
I had similar things happen at burning pier and drowned themtia map in the past. Resulting in me finishing this quests in 1024*768 sometimes. This crashed occured on basicly every char not only on “fireworks” overkill ones…

After i guess 8.2 the problem in burning pier vanished
After 8.3 the problem in drowned themtia vanished
i can play both maps in 4k now just fine. Perforamnce in both maps is noteable worse but at least its crash free.

I dont even know if burning habor is new in this or the last patch?

All the maps you mention are the ones that typically cause performance issues for some players… especially if running with lots of eye candy at higher res… Some have been fixed specificially but those are the ones that people tend to post crashes about… even now…

Definitely test the map with a visual effect heavy character like VK to see… that would help figure out if this is specific to the unique or just a performance issue on that map in 0.8.5.

If I can be honest tho, I am dont know what quality settings you are using but I am not sure that a 1080 GPU would be handling 4k play that well… From my experience helping out here and the fact that LE is so unoptimised right now, imho, you are possibly at the edge of the performance instability issue and busy moments / more effects etc may translate into intermittent crashes for you…

What is your GPU usage like while playing 4k? I have found that people tend to have crashes randomnly if their GPU usage is averaging higher than 85% ish… Its GPU dependent obviously, but it seems like if a GPU doesnt have any headroom when LE needs it, LE just gives up and crashes…

As an example, my lowly 1060 can handle 1080p with High settings and even 100fps if I let it, but the GPU is flatlined at 100% usage (or close to it) and the moment LE tries to do anything or I have a build with lots of screenwide skill effects, try to take on too many mobs at the same time or teleport somewhere, it either freezes and crashes or just crashes without warning… Drop everything to very low and limit the fps to the point where my GPU usage is 60% while in town doing nothing and I have zero problems in the same situations and no crashes… The gpu usage will rise and fall depending on the situation and even hit 100% for a second or two, but I have none of the hassles I would have if I use higher settings.

just tried that map (was fine for my pc) but ive found this “RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64” indicating a mem leak (or just bad management) from LE (found in the dxdiag linked above). maybe have a look at your ram while playing and going on that map.

The RADAR_PRE_LEAK issue is usually poor memory management caused by an application not releasing the memory back to the Windows OS memory management system when an app closes… This error is unlikely to be a cause of a problem in the app/game or whatever - just that the app didnt release memory or close properly.

Not great obviously, but windows tends to recover the memory itself and its usually safe to ignore those as a cause of the problem.

While you may see the same error, Memory leak errors tend to show up differently with additional info - in both the game logs as well as Event viewer logs - especially if the leak causes the system to run out of memory.

Its a 1080 ti - for 4k gaming thats a important Ti because of 11 gb VRAM.
The card is capable to run almost any game at 4k even today and its nearly on par with a 3070 in 4k performance.

I will check the rest later :slight_smile:

For refernce: idle in town i can hold 80 fps (i set the cap to 80) at 4k
In combat that number goes down to 30-45 fps on some maps - but thats basicly not worse than at 1080p or 1044p :frowning: Resolution doesnt seem to change anything - seems more a CPU issue for me (i only run a r5 2600x).

I tried lowering settings a lot but the only difference (outside of very specific problem maps) seems to be the game looking worse. The fps gain is none to minimal in combat.

Only other “kill my system” build is shatterstrike spam with icespike … those dunk my fps to 15 … at 1080p, at 1044p at 4k … another “resolution does nothing” case.

Sigh … yeah yeah its time for a new toy :wink:

Somehow missed that it was a Ti card… probably distracted or mistakenly opened someone elses attachments (yes, I have stupidly done that before).

What is the usage like with it in town at 80fps? I find that if the usage while idle in town (End of Time) is around 60% then the game tends to be fairly stable no matter what is going on. Be interesting to hear if this is not the case for you…

The other thing I find with the usage % is that if you keep it down (at least where the fps is at a level you are willing to accept), then the spikes in busy moments also tend to be less pronounced… i.e. if I run at 100fps, my spikes would be as high as 60fps… which is horrible to play with… but if I play at 60fps… my spikes are maybe 20fps - which is much more acceptable and less jarring during play.

CPU - yes does play a part especially as LE is pretty CPU intensive in some areas… IF (big IF) the online bottleneck calculators are to be believed then your CPU & GPU are a perfect match for playing at 1440p… but the GPU is too slow for your CPU at 4k. In fact, I was messing around to try and see what GPU would match your CPU for 4k and basically they seem to indicate you could upgrade to a 3080 without any CPU bottlenecks in 4k graphics intensive tasks like gaming. Honestly dont put much validity in these calculators but its interesting…

Thank you for your input.

My playtime during the week is very limited and that “one hour” i just play the game right now tbh. I will invest more time at the weekend hopefully.

I had one more crash yesterday - even at 1440p … the Land of Fire Trio Boss…
All 3 guys sitting at one spot, decoy explosion, all 3 of them casting spells, arrowstorm up, cinderstrikes, daggers, i dont know how many dragon fires a second … well the fireworks lead to a crash just the second the boss died. I guess its just the graphical overload of the bow + hefty graphic loads of the boss thats toasted my GPU…

Offtopic PC stuff:

I am aware that my GPU is not uptodate (bought it used 3 years ago for 500 Euro … quite a deal…) and i could simply just update my GPU and be done.

The problem is my whole system is “updated” multiple times …
The case, the PSU (be quiet, 680 Watts), the fans, my SSDs (Sata 2.0 and 3.1) i bought together with an i5 2500k - i guess that parts are 8-10 years old now. Only the CPU/Board/Ram got updated together with the used 1080ti like 3,5 years ago. If i start just adding a new CPU i guess my PSU would maybe not even make it anymore with limited power and age and most likley some of the other stuff would “break” in the next 1-2 years simply due to age … Thats why its time for a new system (im fed of Sata cables and Drive Cages in my Case …).

When you get a chance to test again (dont forget to test without that Bow), put up the player.log - would be interesting to compare the debug messages and see if they are still performance ones or if there is something else…

PC stuff… Dont get me started… I am using a setup i built in 2016 with midrange parts and although I planned to, I stupidly didnt upgrade when component prices came down so now I am stuck in a situation where to upgrade I need to go the whole hog CPU/GPU/Motherboard/Mem… and I simply cant afford it… I think the only thing I dont need to upgrade is my NVME drive… :wink: One problem for me is also living in a third world country (RSA) with a crappy exchange rate, exorbitant delivery charges and no way to take advantage of spot sales in the US/EU/UK…

and my son will kill me if I upgrade my own PC and dont upgrade his too… double $$

Well officially the Patch changed nothing.

But at least for me and @TriKster the perfomance of the bow got a LOT better with 8.5.b.
The dips in the below 35 range got a lot, lot less for me at 1440p - most maps im able to run 60+ even in combat now - but some maps still seem to have a -20 fps in combat hidden affixe :wink:

I was so excited yesterday that i forgot to try burning habor again (and only had like 60 minutes to play …) but i will try that again today.

Really wish I had found one of these bows to test too… Dont forget to do a test with and without the bow to see for sure if its the problem…

Hey there… ok… managed to finally gamble one of the Dragonsong Bows… 15 Ascendance Runes, but got a 2LP one…

(Tests below on i5-7500/1060 3gb/16gb ram/Nvme @ 1080p, All very low settings with framelimit on 55 - tested on Marksman with Channelled Flurry that procs Multishot - high crit setup)

When spamming against the dummy in the End of Time, I am seeing ~5% framerate drop whenever the Dragonfire Spell procs… vs normal non proc hits. (i.e. no crit).

Testing on dummies in Champions Gate…
3 dummies, less than 5% framerate loss on Dragonfire procs (almost constant crits)
7 dummies, standing to try to hit as many as possible, less than 5% framerate loss (almost constant crits).

When running through Burning Pier I am seeing ~10-20% framerate drop whenever the Dragonfire Spell procs… vs normal non proc hits. This is compounded when I am doing crits on multiple mobs - which is often. Minute stutters if I draw in a lot of mobs and kill all at once - hard to say if this is related because then the gold drop fps issue comes into play.

So… I would say that Dragonfire suffers the same “high performance cost” as most spell based eyecandy in the game right now, but when compounded with Burning Piers additional environmental animations & particle effects, it seems that this performance cost is quite noticeable.

Still doesnt explain the crashes tho… and my system seems perfectly stable as per normal…

Am getting a crap ton of one error in the player.log though… Still need to test if its happening when using the bow/in Burning harbour or if this is just something else unrelated to this particualr problem. (Nevermind, unrelated)

The short 0,2 second full freeze when killing 20 small bugs at a time is something i can confirme.
Throwing the decoy, clearing the entire screen, dropping gold, proccing a ton of dragon fires all at once seems to be “too much”.

But even that is a lot worse on some maps!

Interesting side effect of testing… Seems like Dragonfire can be proc’d on any skill crit… I have been lunging around proc’ing shurikens and Dragonfire is firing whenever they crit… Wonder if this was intended… Did you see that on your Decoy?

Everything works from what i saw.
Its very hard to tell what exactly is proccing it with the sheer ammount of hits and crits going on.

Shurrikens with the blade vortex node procc a lot, decoy too imho, …

If you want to overkill it … 100% crit shrine is quite funny :wink:

Did one burning habor map … everything fine smooth FPS → YEAH !

Opened the second burning habor map 5 minutes later … everything fine, smooth fps … 30 seconds later …

Player.log (331.4 KB)
Bow - YES
1440p / medium

System Graph during a lakeside trial - thats in combat and pretty damn stable id say

Burning harbor 10 minutes later
Game crashed right before the end - maybe 0,5 minute after this screen

photo to
Same char, much worse performance (GPU not at > 90% at any time …)

All the same Direct3D errors matching those in the first log you originally posted…

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (2560 x 1440 fmt 27 aa 1), error 0x887a0005 
D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (2560 x 1440 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x887a0005 

Unless the devs chip in here with another explaination, I’d say there is definitely some kind of performance hit from the bow use that just tips things over the edge when there is/are too many map related special effects running too… Some kind of compounding effect that isnt noticed on simpler maps… Be interesting if you could run a few of the same maps with a normal bow and see if anything does the same but based on what you are saying and the framerate dip i have seen myself, I’d say its definitely the bow doing something…

Sadly i didnt see any news in the patch notes :frowning:

But i hopefully get a new PC end of the week so yeah i will check if thats “fixed” the problem. And no thats no optimal solution :stuck_out_tongue:

I was also looking for something around “performance with the Dragonbow” but nothing…

Must admit, anecdotally, that performance seems to have changed in 0.8.5 (now C) - some things seem much improved but things that I never had an issue with before have caused fps spikes. Got stuck with a horrible lag spike on my Forge Guard MA build that I had never experienced before in literally hundreds of echo runs… Havent been playing much since 0.8.5 dropped (not much of a content update imho) so I cannot say with any confidence whats happened with performance…