BUG with picking up items from the groud and seeing their names

After using button to override loot filter (loot filter ON/OFF) too many times (hours of playing) items stop showing their names and cannot be picked up.
Location doesn’t seem to matter, it happens in story maps or Echoes, after finishing and Echo and opening chest/flying goo orb. For instance, I can see items on the ground, but whether I press Z (X in my case) or not, turn loot filter completely off in the menu, it doesn’t matter. I have to restart the game.

Player-prev.log (120.8 KB)

Happy developing and I hope this gets fixed at some point =)

Hey there… Welcome to the forum…

Never noticed this myself…even after 10+ hours of play… I havent changed any keymappings and dont tend to mess with filters very often while playing - maybe 2 or 3 times a session…

Are you regularly toggling filters and drops on or off or does it just stop showing drops for no apparent reason after time? Is this repeatable - i.e. can you follow specific steps to make this issue happen?

Is this log from immediately after you stopped playing but before your restarted? The logs cycle so its important to copy them immediatley after the session that the problem occured else there is a good chance the error is not in the log.

Your logs are not showing any Filter specific errors that I can find, but it is showing a lot of sound related errors which are not normal.

Have you tried to verify the game files via the Steam option ? - just to make sure your install is actually fine…

“All 862 files successfully validated” says Steam right now.
What I do is press a key to show all items (after I open a final chest or kill a boss for example) to check if there are items with interesting mods that I want for other characters. I do this since I am using strict filter for the character that I am currently playing. I don’t otherwise mess with loot filter often (I have a general one that I use when I start, then I have one for when I pick up mastery and the final strict one once I have main items around which I build around).
“or does it just stop showing drops for no apparent reason after time? Is this repeatable - i.e. can you follow specific steps to make this issue happen?”

Yes. It just stops showing names of items (and I can’t pick them up). It happens after a while and I guess after I have pressed the key to temporarily disable the filter enough times?!
For instance, I never hide unique items, yet, I finish Echo that has unique item as reward, I see it drop, I see what it is, it has it’s glow and the red streak but no name and cant be interacted with.
Repeatable, well, yes, it happened to me twice yesterday and once today. It didn’t happen few months ago when I was playing. It started when I returned to the game a few days ago and started a new character (Sentinel, multistrke that proces smite, using a unique sword and shield). Game does slow down a bit when I round up a horde of trash and lunge into them and smites kills them all at once. But the bug usually happens when I portal back after I finish Echo and click on the floating goo. After that, items from chest also don’t show names.
I tried to go to menu, I tried turning the loot filter OFF in the filter menu but nothing short of restarting the game works. I haven’t tried logging off and on again since I don’t see the point when quitting is faster.

“Is this log from immediately after you stopped playing but before your restarted?”

Yes, that one is after I quit the game after I clicked on the floating orange goo and it dropped a unique shield, showing no name and couldn’t be picked up. All I know it was a shield since I can see it on the ground. I thought to go and see if there is something about this online and found a forum topic here from several months ago that had similar issues, no solution (just a suggestion that one should try opening the main menu and such, and the topic was closed so I posted a new topic here).

Can I provide any more data relevant to you?

PS. I am using the same key mappings since I bought and installed the game last year. Nothing has changed there.

PPS. My spec are:
Win10 pro (latest updates), I7 9700 (non-K, no overclock), 3200ddr4 16gb ram, nVidia 1070Ti (not overclocked) and the game is running from an SSD that is not a system drive. I have music playing in the background (I always do, I always had)
Sound: Asus U5 external Audio device, using optical out to my AVR 24bit 48KHz, stereo. I don’t hear any sound related issues, I do alt tab occasionally when I take a short break.

Hmm…

The log - you provided the -prev version not the player.log and I am wondering if thats why I am not seeing anything. Obviously there might not be anything in the debug anyway, but its a possibility.

Your use case is definitely not the normal way to play with drops off by default, (at least imho) so I expect that your toggling of the drop display on demand is eventually causing some sort of outlier issue/bug that others like me are not seeing because we simply dont toggle it - personally I dont think I ever even use it. Considering the complexity of the filter system and known issues that do happen, its not impossible that the toggling is causing a problem.

Opening the menu or the filter menu and then closing it causes the filter to reload and reapply the drops (amongst other things like the game sorting the drop lables) so thats why it was suggested on previous posts.

I dont have time to play extensively today to test it, but if its as simple as just toggling it on.off then it should be repeatable - something the devs require if they have any hope of resolving the bug.

One last thing to confirm:

• if you remove all your filter files from the filter folder (before starting the game - just copy them elsewhere)… and just play without filters with your toggling process, does this issue still happen?

• if you play without filters and dont use the toggling, does everything still work over time or does it still dissappear?

Hi,
Regarding the file I provided - I just followed the guidelines from the draft message that was in the post when I clicked to make a new topic. It instructed, in detail, where to find logs and which log to upload.

Regarding the loot filter - just to make sure that we understand each other - I have items that will show on screen when they drop. I press and HOLD the hotkey (that disables/overrides the loot filter) SOMETIMES to show all (the rest of…) the items on the ground. This is normal for me, since I do that in all arpg games (don’t want to name them here, you can take a guess, all big ones). So, it’s not like I am running with everything hidden and then use the hotkey to show them. :slight_smile:

As for the suggestions you made - I will give them a go. Obviously it will take some time. I too don’t have too much time for games. I will report back. Although I don’t see your first suggestion working out since all the items will be shown all the time.

Logfile - there are two files “player.log” and “player-prev.log”… the player.log is the most recent one and because they cycle its hard to find errors that relate to a specific session which would be in the player.log until restart (usually). You posted the -prev one so it would have been from possibly a previous session (i.e. before you had the error)… not serious but when testing again, please be sure to copy the player.log one after you exit the game when the problem happens…

More specific as to what you are doing… Ok… its clearer now but still a particular use case - if a little more common…

Side note: Advice, from almost 2k hours in LE, I wouldnt recommend loot filters so strict that this would be a “normal” way of playing - you are likely to miss out on drops from various situations - even killing rares etc while running end-game monos… i.e. places where you wouldnt double check drops… Lots of choice items could be “lost” this way… Especially right now with the game in beta and more content being added/changed - i.e. if they change or add affixes or base items (which they are definitely doing) then your filters may be too strict until you expressly update them with each patch.

My suggestions are to see if the issue is 100% related to filters AND/OR your machine specifically AND/OR your specific use case… For example, by removing the filters, you would then not need to use the toggle and no filter corruption could be involved… If the issue still happens over time with these not being used, then it could point to something specific on your install/setup that causes the drop lables to bork over time…

My primary reason is that if this were a common issue (and what you describe you are doing isnt really that special) then there should be a lot more people logging similar bugs… so its all to try and isolate exactly when it happens…

I will do what you have suggested, but this problem is not new or unique to me, as you seem to imply. Players did complain about it before:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LastEpoch/comments/gslyz6/unable_to_pick_items_up/

…these are just top five or so results from google search

Most of those are problems with people mistakenly disabling the loot display options with the Z & X buttons without knowing they did it. 99% of the time this is the usual problem.

The others are like yours where it stops working… but they didnt troubleshoot any further to try and isolate the exact cause - which is likely why it hasnt been fixed yet. If you read those you will see lots of responses where people have been unable to replicate the issue on demand.

Look, I dont work for EHG, I am just helping out here trying to join the dots so that the exact/most likely cause is found and the devs have something to work with when they try and solve the problem - they definitely dont have the time right now to put in all this legwork on something that isnt easily repeatable… if you want to second guess this help then fine, I’ll shut up and spend my time elsewhere…

No, not second guessing. Like I have already said, I will try to replicate the problem, but I have seen many tech support, from microsoft to Indie game studios, always turning bugs towards users systems. It looked to me that this is going to happen here as soon as I read about issues with my sounds, no one reporting this bug, you having 2K hours in the game etc. and mentioning my system. I honestly expected to be asked for DXDiag report next. :slight_smile:

Lets put that to rest now.

I will try to replicate the bug, like I’ve said. I have already removed all the filter files, but copied one that is pretty broad. I need one to try to replicate the bug since I do not need the game to work without any loot filter, and bug happened with one active.
I will report what I find.

PS. I had no idea you are not working for EHG, if that changes anything for you.

There are plenty of LE bugs that only appear on certain user systems or are 100% related to the user setup vs the settings they are trying to use and drivers/third party apps etc… I have lost count of the number of times someone who, having LE problems for weeks/months, has taken it apon themselves to reinstall Windows and voila LE works fine immediately thereafter but still insisted that the game is at fault. So its important not to discount the possibility that any problem may be user specific/unique.

I doubt this bug is, but confirming exactly when/why its happening is important.

I didnt ask for a dxdiag because its unlikely that it would contain any info related to this specific bug… If I thought your sound issue was directly related I would have… and yes, there are sound issues with LE (specifically the Unity sound components) and yes, some have been traced to external sound devices, mixers & virtual audio drivers and even causing similar FMOD errors to yours that if repeated over long playsessions seem to be related to intermittent game instability over time and some weird game issues.

EHG staff responses are highlighted in yellow on the forum… I tend to highlight the fact if I feel that people have made that assumption because it can potentially lead to… lets just say a lack of following acceptable ettiquette… on the part of all participants, including myself.

I am sure the devs that read this (and they do) would appreciate any more testing feedback you are willing to provide on the problem.

Ok, here is me reporting back:
I left one loot filter (that I was using when reporting the bug) but have removed all others from the folder. Since then bug hasn’t reappeared. Strange, since I haven’t used other characters (that used those loot filters) in ages…But I guess that’s it, since I won’t be trying further to reproduce the bug.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.