As melee, Empowered Monoliths feel like D4's launch-state Nightmare Dungeons (Feedback)

Caveat that I haven’t played early endgame since the corruption/mod re-balancing in 1.0:

I’ve played 4 characters so far, 3 of which were melee. (or at least wanted to stay in melee range even if the skill itself wasn’t melee) The only one I actually had trouble pushing with into empowered monoliths was a ranged rogue build that other people had a lot of success with. I just had a hard time putting together my defenses. Sure, a lot of the time I could just shoot offscreen, but when something did catch me I’d pancake.

I do have problems taking my builds that much higher corruption, but that’s not really for lack ranged options and more just a function of it taking a long time to go from good enough gear to high end gear that I get bored in the mean time.

You want an argument? Ok, i will dumb it down for you since you can only speak in Diablo terms. You have a skill issue and are missing core fundamental basics. Every single complaint about being stunned can be avoided. In fact there are even affixes called “stun avoidance.” Every single build is viable. I have over 13 different characters in Legacy that are level 100 and can clear high corruption monoliths without issue which over half being purely melee. And to dig into melee more, there are SO many affixes to help out melee and make up for the range difference that no other ARPG has. Health on melee hit, etc. that spell casters do not have access to. To sum it up for you. Git gud.

1 Like

Also I know this might be hard for you but read how stun works. You will find that your armor is complete garbage for a melee build and you just aren’t keeping up.

1 Like

I have played melee, Pally, VK, Druid and Beastmaster and did had no issues with any of these masteries. It is all about having the right skills and gear.

Spellblade! I’m playing the same class as you, bro. I am using a build copy from Maxroll. Although it is enough to handle the endgame content, I still hope to strengthen this class. Haha, maybe I’m a bit greedy.
You can see this build link.shatter-strike-spellblade-guide

disclaimer, i did not read everything here.
Just wanted to add my bit: i tried to play cinder strike falconer, the experience is terrible compared to my previous build - shurikens, which people already claim to be weak.
Yes, melee is hurting compared to ranged or minions

So for your argument: To you it’s completely fine to use badly balanced affixes and remove power from melee toons who are mostly already weak? What kind of argument is this? Sure every build is viable and able to push to a certain point in game but a lot of builds fall flat reaching a certain corruption and are dead in the water. “Forcing” melee players to trade their already limited power for stun protection because they are the only ones needing it isn’t a smart thing to do if oyu don’t give melee skills more power to begin with.

1 Like

GiT gUd BrO is not an argument.

Talk is cheap. Making unsubstantiated claims of superiority is about as “Diablo terms” as you can get. Link your high corruption Spellblade please. Put up or shut up.

Lol, your entire argument is just repeating the same obvious nonsense about a single gear affix. Your comments are of zero value to anyone.

I appreciate the gesture, but I’m progressing just fine with my current build. People are taking my feedback out of context because they want to make bad arguments.

You can just take Teleport and ‘Rock Phase’ node, which is on the left on the tree = free stun Immunity.

Of those listed in my post, stun is honestly the least of my concerns. It’s more of an annoyance that can lead to occasional frustration, rather than a source of constant problems.

That said, the teleport node you mention is deep within the tree and only lasts 4 seconds after cast. That’s not what I’d call ‘free stun immunity’. Especially since I don’t use Teleport at all, nor do I feel the need to.

However, respectfully, I’m not looking for build advice. I’m progressing through the game pretty efficiently. I’ve jumped 40 corruption levels just in the last couple hours. My main concerns are the ramifications of bad endgame melee mechanics and the viability of certain masteries in the long-term (and in HCSSF).

I think you made that pretty clear by how you’ve responded with hostility to everyone who doesn’t unequivocally agree with you.

But if you’re flopping back and forth between getting rolled and rolling everything else at only 100 corruption, you have a build, gear, or skill issue. That’s it. You can fume about that and keep getting walloped, or you can make changes to your play and your character, but there’s no game problem here. The problem is your character and/or you. Sorry.

1 Like

I haven’t responded with hostility to “everyone who doesn’t unequivocally agree” with me. This is just gaslighting and strawmanning, plain and simple, supported only by assumptions, arrogance, and anecdotes.

If hostility offends you, maybe don’t make comments like this.

All I want to say about this is…

Melee builds are the bottom tier in this game in terms of power.

Well, this would screw up multiplayer, so I don’t see how it could be made feasible with that in mind, but for an only solo experience, there could be a bullet-time mechanic kicking in for example. You’re in range of a big close range attack - time slows down for a moment, giving you half a second extra to react.

What melee could benefit from would be something like this:
You get x (24+ when max)% less damage from enemies close to you when you have directly used a melee attack recently.

Sentinel already has something like this for 10% damage reduction, but that’s not enough overall.

How about just giving melee classes more damage mitigation against the kinds of high damage close range attacks that are difficult to avoid?

One easy and significant fix is to stop ranged mobs from attacking off screen. Absolutely terrible design. Osprix Lightmages, Ascendant Embermages and Scourgebane Saboteurs are complete cancer when it comes to this.

Exacerbating the issue is the fact they attack by spamming ranged AoE abilities over and over and over.

Every post this guy makes is nasty

1 Like

ranged classes have to deal with this issue too though … but I agree, it’s odd when ranged mobs target you before they are even in view.