Applying Bleed On Any Enemy Causes Huge FPS Drop Since Last Hotfix

Hello, its Dr3ad from Epoch Builds here,

Ever since the last hotfix in september if I have any bleed chance anywhere, it will cause an insane FPS drop, which gets exponential with how many enemies there are on the screen.

Even on the dummy I can go from 60 fps to 40 fps, and I have even tested taking Maelin’s Hubris (gloves which convert all your bleed to ignite) and as soon as its ignite and not bleed that I am applying, it becomes smooth again.

Normally I usually just wait on these kinds of things to be fixed, but this time its starting to affect how many builds I can play and what I can play, as if I have even a small chance to bleed on a build that hits a lot, I will still easily see it causing problems with my recordings.

So to list my specs first,

2080 TI (GPU)
Intel(R) Core™ i7-10700k CPU 3.80 GHZ

So to list the things I’ve tried to fix the problem,

1. Reset my pc
  2. Not Run OBS (still lags even if I don’t use OBS)
  3. Run the game client on every setting I could think of
  4. Update my Drivers, and also pull back my drivers to before the Sept 10th hotfix
  5. Update Windows
  6. Uninstall/reinstall
  7. Try the steam client instead

It seems everything I try doesn’t work, and the problem remains the same. Any Suggestions?

Hey there…

Sounds like you have done the usual things from a technical side re hardware/software etc…

You havent included your logs or in-game settings file so I am going to assume that this is not a general performance related issue - i.e. you are not trying to run the game on Ultra at 2160p & 144fps (yes, there are people with your config that try this)… You have been playing the game for long enough for me to assume you have figured out that LE in its current beta/unoptimised state needs a gentle touch when it comes to pushing performance in favour of stability…

Generally bleed isnt causing this kind of FPS loss for other players - At least not enough for there to be any substantial bug reports about it… I havent noticed anything like this personally with bleed… I have noticed performance issues with other ailments like Poison and Freeze but its not as pronounced as you describe unless I’m stackng ailments on lots of mobs and everything is ticking away…

Based on your description of the problem and you experience playing/participating on the forum, I would suggest approaching the issue from a different angle with the intention of isolating and replicating what is happening for the devs to check against… It may be that while trying to design your builds, you are reaching “edge case” situations that the average player doesnt get to… e.g. maybe you are trying to stack 200 bleeds and this is when the problem occurs… Maybe there is a specific interaction between a passive/bleed ailment that goes unnoticed until its pushed.

The drop of 20fps should be noticable for testing purposes so thats a good start…

Can you create a minimal setup (ideally without gear etc) that applies bleeds without any major stacking or special interactions… Just a normal bleed applying char… I would also suggest different builds/classes… just to compare if its class related.

Test with this most basic of build(s) and see if its also messing with the fps performance… If its not, then step by step increase the build complexity testing as you go… If its still causing the fps issue then other people can test this build (planner link please) and see if it does the same for them…

This process, if done carefully/systematically enough may point to exactly what is going on… and if we think there is a definitely bug somewhere, something for the devs to work from.

PS. Note, I would not take this approach with a general player as its likely to require a higher level of game understanding…

1 Like

Oh trust me its 100% creatable, Ill even record some footage right now

Alright heres the footage : Bleed Lag Showcase - YouTube
I can recreate this on any character, and it gets exponentially worse for each enemy I apply it on.

Ok… What you are describing is obvious from your video… It seems to take about 10 hits for the lag to kick in - whatever number of bleed stacks thay may be.

I am going to test this myself with much less complete build… i.e. much more basic setup than what you are using - just to reduce the complexity and isolate the issue as much as possible… I even want to test it without using a skill… just a normal skill-less attack… lowest common denominator approach.

1 Like

Yeah ill be honest man, I can literally recreate it so easily. Like for instance, I can use warcry’s node to apply bleed stacks and thats enough to kill my fps, just walk up to a pack, warcry and BAM fps drop. I change it to cold (which changes the bleed to frostbite), and then im fine. Its actually insane and I have no idea why its only bleed. There are some places in the campaign that lag me, like Harton’s ship, or the Tri Dragon Boss Fight before Emperor of Corpses (or the twisted mire map in monos) but Bleed is the only mechanic that lags me on command.

Hmm… I have just respec’d a forge guard… zero passives of any kind, no gear of any kind except a Wengari Axe with a single additional affix of added bleed chance… I am still testing but I can hit the dummy with a basic attack (not skill) for as long as I want and my fps doenst change… I can see the stacks of bleed animation & damage tick but no fps drop.

I am going to start adding things like attack speed and more bleed chance and see if I can make your issue happen… No passives, no skills, no other boosts… just to isolate this to ONLY bleed…

Might take a while

1 Like

Its ok, I’ve asked a lot of other people and it seems I am the only one that has these issues. Its insanely random. Maybe its my CPU, I have no idea.

Nah… not your CPU… I’m using an i5-7500,1060,16gb ram system…

Give me a little time to mess around and see - the key is if I can MAKE your issue happen or not…

One thing you could do to remove performance related issues from the mix is to run your setup at 1080p, 60fps framerate limited, all quality on very low and special features like shadows etc on their lowest setting or off… And dont run anything else (like your stream stuff) … if you get the same lag then to me its not performance and there must be a bug somewhere…

1 Like

Thats actually what all of my settings are already on. I’ve been on those since I started playing the game. :smiley:

Ok… I cannot replicate your video above…

I added every bleed affix I could on gear while not adding any other affixes (e.g. gear with 1 appropriate affix and other affixes that are irrelevant like resistances)… Got bleed chance to 470% per hit and attack speed to 80%… I tested plain without any passives or skills, added Passives like Smelters Might for more bleed, generally anything to do with bleed only wherever possible… I use the basic attack (not skill), I used Rive, Vengenge and Multistrike… I used Bleed specific uniques - axes and valdyrs - Nothing seems to affect the fps and based on some napkin math of the tick damage, I was achieving at least 15 stacks of bleed on the dummy (and some ignites too)…

I increased my in-game settings to medium (on 1080p with other as above) - which maxes out my 1060 GPU but it still can maintain 60fps in EoT and the bleeds made less an 2fps difference - almost unnoticeable change.

I dont think its bleed…

Any chance you can attach your player.log file - maybe there is something else happening that the debug is logging…

Any chance you can include the output from a dxdiag report? Its a snapshot of your system & drivers… maybe there is something there or something the Unity game engine doesnt like on your machine…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.